Email

Simon

Email

Post by Simon »

I'm 2 days into my week off work... Trying to get a few things done around the house.

By chance I glanced at my work phone earlier - 88 unread emails! 88 in 2 days! And that's not 88 nonsense irrelevant emails - I have Exchange rules setup to move and mark as read emails for distribution lists I'm on - That's 88 emails that have either been sent to me directly or copied to me, and thus will require my attention when I go back next week. At the current rate there'll be over new 200 emails in my inbox next Monday.

People have been too happy to just send an email and copy in everyone and anyone nowadays. And I note that a few have ignored my OOO message and have emailed me as if I'm in the office or gonna respond. Give me strength.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
NotoriousREV

Re: Email

Post by NotoriousREV »

I get 55 a day on average, not including the several hundred that get shuffled off into other folders. I just ignore the vast majority of them now, there’s no possible way for me to actually start to read them all, never mind action anything. We have much more effective ways in place to get things done so the ignoring of email is a known thing.

You know you’ll get a shitload of abuse from people who think you’re doing it wrong soon, right?
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Simon

Post by Simon »

Oh yeah, following the last thread on the subject I'm fully prepared for it. :D
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Ignore the work phone. Best advice I can offer.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Beany

Post by Beany »

I've got a long weekend this weekend. Booked months in advance.

Everyone in our small company knows this is one of the *very* rare times I take time off outside of Christmas, where it's mandatory.

I still expect to be bollocked when I get back for not doing non on-call stuff (I'm permanently on call because, well, minimum viable staff is how we run things) like checking whether we're running google ads and updating number ranges on our telecoms platform, etc.

I do now have something more of a 'chuck it in the "fuck it" bucket' attitude these days thanks to prescription chemical embellishment however, so the above will probably happen, I just won't worry about it overly.

I'm not the stupid fucker who decided to run an entire telecoms company with only one member if technical staff, so it's not my fucking problem....
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Your emails will not be read or forwarded. If you need a response then please re-send when I have returned.

Very few will re-send.
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
Brannen

Post by Brannen »

I've just got back from a week off and had 740 emails! I thought it was a joke when I looked at my work phone this morning.

I've deleted most of them, as I cba to read through them.
mik

Post by mik »

It is no longer possible to keep up with all my emails- despite setting up rules and shizzle.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Brannen wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:43 am I've just got back from a week off and had 740 emails! I thought it was a joke when I looked at my work phone this morning.

Quite often, when I get back off holiday, I take everything in my Inbox and stick it in an archive folder and start again from scratch.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

NotoriousREV wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:02 am
Brannen wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:43 am I've just got back from a week off and had 740 emails! I thought it was a joke when I looked at my work phone this morning.

Quite often, when I get back off holiday, I take everything in my Inbox and stick it in an archive folder and start again from scratch.
That's not a bad idea. My inbox is several thousand unread emails (maybe read and then marked as unread again if it's something that might come up again or need following up on) and a few read and replied to ones.
Left over crest; tightens.
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Where I am at the moment deletes emails at 30 days unless you move them into another folder, when it's I think 12 months.

One of the great things about contracting is that I go away for a week and have under 100 emails to delete... err... review on my return.

This is also a good time to tell my favorite out of office story. I was made redundant 2 weeks after my youngest son was born. I had two weeks of paternity and then never had to come back. My out of office was "I'm now out of the office on paternity leave and will not be returning. If you need to contact me... well, why would you need to contact me if I'm being made redundant?"

Apparently the HR guy was very amused and was laughing as he told IT to get rid of it. 8-)
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Brian_T

Post by Brian_T »

Beany wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:23 pm I'm not the stupid fucker who decided to run an entire telecoms company with only one member if technical staff, so it's not my fucking problem....
Similarly, I’m the only person in my role in my company and, despite raising the issue on a frequent basis, there’s little to no backup for if/when I’m out of circulation. Which has the result that I’m never really out of circulation.

At least I get compensated for it.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Brian_T wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:29 pm
Beany wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:23 pm I'm not the stupid fucker who decided to run an entire telecoms company with only one member if technical staff, so it's not my fucking problem....
Similarly, I’m the only person in my role in my company and, despite raising the issue on a frequent basis, there’s little to no backup for if/when I’m out of circulation. Which has the result that I’m never really out of circulation.

Wish I fucking did, arf.
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

It seems the pair of you are making this your issue.
By being constantly available, your encouraging your employers bad practices.
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

unzippy wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:57 pm

It seems the pair of you are making this your issue.
By being constantly available, your encouraging your employers bad practices.
This!
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Simon

Post by Simon »

^^That.
Simon

Post by Simon »

First day back after a two week break. 292 emails (the ones I haven't auto-filed using Outlook Rules etc). Down to 25 now after a day in meetings and on calls.

I'm seriously considering change my out-of-office message to simply "Fatal Error - User Unknown".
mik

Post by mik »

Simon wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 3:30 pm I'm seriously considering change my out-of-office message to simply "Fatal Error - User Unknown"
“Drive reformatting will commence in 2 minutes”
ste

Post by ste »

I remember email.

Honestly though, I hardly use it in my current roles. Contractual stuff, maybe. Everything else seems to come from external customers so I just ignore it. Communicate almost entirely on Slack, Webex or Skype.
Barry

Post by Barry »

Similar numbers per day here and same response when I return from leave, all marked as read, anything important will get raised again.

As for copying everyone in, it's used as an arse covering exercise these days I find, "you were on the email" when things go tits up. I'm on most emails FFS..