People Whose Heads You Want To Stove In Just For Existing

ZedLeg

Re: People Whose Heads You Want To Stove In Just For Existing

Post by ZedLeg »

He's not just a bit religious, he wants to roll back decades of progress on rights for LGBT people and women based on his faith.

I don't agree with his economic views either.

He's basically the same as Boris. Presents himself as some sort of Jeeves and Wooster anachronism to make people think he's mostly harmless but if either of them had control they'd leave most of the country behind while filling their pockets.
An absolute unit
GG.

Post by GG. »

First line I don't disagree with - I'm in favour of reducing the limit for elective abortions below 5.5 months (sounds much worse in months rather than the more innocuous sounding 24 weeks, doesn't it?) but can't agree with his position on no abortion in any circumstance including rape. I'm not familiar with his opinions on LGBTQ issues but I guess they're not progressive...

Second line on economics is not one that leads people to want to stove his head in as I'm sure they're not different from much of the conservative party.

Then we come to comment #3. This is more the guts of the issue and gives the game away that a lot of the dislike is class based. You can't easily justify the comment that JRM and Boris are really cut of the same cloth other than that they share an Eton background. Boris is pro-immigration and has a very different world-view from JRM, save for the fact that they're both Brexiteers. Boris did run London for a period and I'm not clear that he "filled his pockets" from that opportunity. Most of his income is from his second job as an author.

I'm not saying that I personally don't find the accent and hoighty attitude annoying as well, by the way, but it doesn't mean they're all 'basically the same'. Also remember that, for a politician, Boris was pretty wildly popular on the whole prior to his involvement in Brexit so clearly a lot of the antipathy towards him is based on that issue alone. He was likely the only conservative politician in the country with broad enough support to win election as London mayor, a hugely Labour and Lib Dem voting city on the whole.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

ZedLeg wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:17 pm He's not just a bit religious, he wants to roll back decades of progress on rights for LGBT people and women based on his faith.
Does he? I thought he'd made it fairly clear that whilst he has his own "views" on some matters such as these, he appreciates that as a politician one has to done what's in the general interest, even if that goes counter to one's own views. He's made that expressly clear on a number of occasions I thought.

Now whether you believe him is another matter.

I suppose he could just lie about his true beliefs like most other politicians though, and tow the current publicly agreed whip as to what are acceptable opinions to have on all matters.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:37 pm
ZedLeg wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:17 pm He's not just a bit religious, he wants to roll back decades of progress on rights for LGBT people and women based on his faith.
Does he? I thought he'd made it fairly clear that whilst he has his own "views" on some matters such as these, he appreciates that as a politician one has to done what's in the general interest, even if that goes counter to one's own views. He's made that expressly clear on a number of occasions I thought.

Now whether you believe him is another matter.

I suppose he could just lie about his true beliefs like most other politicians though, and tow the current publicly agreed whip as to what are acceptable opinions to have on all matters.
I suggest you educate yourself on that front, it's on record and it's not hard to find.

He votes exactly as you'd expect a regressive who doesn't like the concept of equal rights to vote. He's voted in favour or getting rid of the Human Rights Act FFS.

He's a sterotype of a 1930s toff in pretty much all the ways, including the backwards attitudes towards sexuality, and he'd be considered nothing more than a comedy stereotype if he didn't consistently vote against basic equal rights the real world.