Local News Websites

NotoriousREV

Local News Websites

Post by NotoriousREV »

Holy fuck, local newspapers have the worst websites in the world.

Click on link, read first sentence...SORRY TO INTERRUPT BUT COOKIES...click OK...PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR AD BLOCKER...bombarded with animated ads absolutely everywhere inducing a seizure...COMPLETE THIS SURVEY TO GAIN ACCESS TO THE ARTICLE

You know what, I didn't want to read about Maureen the lollipop lady retiring after 53 years that badly.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
JLv3.0

Re: Local News Websites

Post by JLv3.0 »

But isn't it all worth it to hear shit people complain about bad parking and traffic lights and stuff? 😂
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

And pictures of Fat Couples pointing at things...
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
tim

Post by tim »

I've been waging an ongoing one-man campaign against my local newspaper, the Eastern Daily Press. Their Facebook page is brilliantly shit. I got into an argument on twitter once with their editor over it. :)

I think they employ a 7 year old to write the "stories" about the "news".
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Anyone get proper local news? As in a quarterly newsletter sent to all residents of the area. It makes for quite good reading as it’s just neighbours bitching about each other who don’t have the courage to confront each other so they submit their story to the newsletter. Usually about inconsiderate parking, noise from parties, dog shit etc
How about not having a sig at all?
Simon

Post by Simon »

Mito Man wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:53 pm Anyone get proper local news? As in a quarterly newsletter sent to all residents of the area. It makes for quite good reading as it’s just neighbours bitching about each other who don’t have the courage to confront each other so they submit their story to the newsletter. Usually about inconsiderate parking, noise from parties, dog shit etc
All 3 of those were about you weren't they?
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

No but I reckon I’ll be mentioned in the next issue for Halloween shenanigans :twisted:
How about not having a sig at all?
scotta

Post by scotta »

NotoriousREV wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:23 pm Holy fuck, local newspapers have the worst websites in the world.

Click on link, read first sentence...SORRY TO INTERRUPT BUT COOKIES...click OK...PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR AD BLOCKER...bombarded with animated ads absolutely everywhere inducing a seizure...COMPLETE THIS SURVEY TO GAIN ACCESS TO THE ARTICLE

You know what, I didn't want to read about Maureen the lollipop lady retiring after 53 years that badly.
Standard operating proceedure for local news i think!

https://www.eastlothiancourier.com/news/
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

Yup, agree completely and our two local rags seem to be trying to emulate the red top these days, half their stories at least are followed by comments slagging he paper off. I am sure there is good journalism out there but goodness knows where.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

I work for a company fitting kitchens, bathrooms and heating systems. We used to do fireplaces but not doing them any more so we’ve sectioned part of our showroom off and Greggs are going to be renting it off us. The local website reported this by saying we were closing, cue customers who had us booked in for work calling us in a blind panic thinking they were about to loose several thousand pounds.

We rang and complained, they amended the article but didn’t change the headline, which was “Greggs moving into former kitchen and bathroom showroom”, so didn’t solve the issue at all.

Tl:dr local news could have cost us significant amounts of work by making people think we went out of business. Twats.
Barry

Post by Barry »

NotoriousREV wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:23 pm Holy fuck, local newspapers have the worst websites in the world.

Yup, exactly what infects my local rag

https://www.winsfordguardian.co.uk/

They only seem to have one reporter, he can't write, uses Google Maps for his "location" shots, and he never investigates anything :lol:
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

It astounds me they contacted the RSPCA and didn't just bin the lot!
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Gavin wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:40 am
It astounds me they contacted the RSPCA and didn't just bin the lot!

I would probably have contacted them because of the weirdness of finding ants in the post and not knowing where they'd come from. The explanation given - that ants are posted to people setting up ant farms - sounds like "nothing to see here, it's all perfectly normal, move along now" :lol:
NGRhodes

Post by NGRhodes »

If you block the base url and www cookies, the bottom screen annoyances go away.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Today's example of nominative determinism; https://www.kentonline.co.uk/maidstone/ ... ma-261346/
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

Paul Hooper's email address is phooper@thekmgroup.co.co.uk :lol: :lol: :lol:
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Good spot, that wasn't why I posted :)
If he does a story about dogs fouling before everyone else, he'll be the scooper phooper.
Last edited by nuttinnew on Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

:lol:

I really hope his colleagues call him pooper, that email address is a gift from the gods :D