Worst case of 40mph everywhere folk

NotoriousREV

Re: Worst case of 40mph everywhere folk

Post by NotoriousREV »

IanF wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:30 am
Rich B wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:26 am
NotoriousREV wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:07 pm I could definitely pass my test tomorrow with no prep. Anyone who can’t shouldn’t be on the road.
Got to agree with Rev on this one, if you couldn’t pass your test again (or even a basic retest version) then you shouldnt be on the road...
Do they still ask you about stopping distances? I’d need to look them up (and then argue they were inaccurate, obviously)
“On a sixpence, mate”
Middle-aged Dirtbag
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

I definitely meet the minimum standard but think I would need lessons to pass the test. Being a good driver and passing the test isn’t necessarily the same thing.

I can remember being to,d that during manoeuvres you shouldn’t need to use the throttle, just the clutch. I then asked a driving instructor and he said yes that’s how a lot of groups teach. It’s silly things like that which made him change career.

Dave!
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

V8Granite wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:51 am I definitely meet the minimum standard but think I would need lessons to pass the test. Being a good driver and passing the test isn’t necessarily the same thing.

I can remember being to,d that during manoeuvres you shouldn’t need to use the throttle, just the clutch. I then asked a driving instructor and he said yes that’s how a lot of groups teach. It’s silly things like that which made him change career.

Dave!
rubbish, just drive like you’ve got your mum in the car, move your head every time you glance in the mirror so they see it and it would be simple.

When my wife was learning 5 years ago she would tell me the tips her instructor was giving her for stuff and it was completely in line with the stuff you pick up with a few years of experience and an interest in driving.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Came across a great one this morning dropping the little nipper off at nursery... she'd somehow managed to take so long getting through a single lane contraflow at a set of roadworks that the lights for cars on the opposite side had changed, said opposing traffic had set off from the other direction and she was stuck in the middle with cars now blocking her exit and two cars behind her.

To further generate ire, she had actually ample room to get through between the oncoming traffic and a parked car but lacked a basic level of spatial awareness to be able to do so. As a result I had to physically get out the car and guide her through to unblock the road (and also shout at the halfwit in front of me that had left his steering on half right lock further tightening the aperture through which she had to pass).

And what could make this tale even more :roll: :roll: :roll: than it already is? The car in question was a miniscule Kia shitbox something or other, it was an instructors car AND the woman driving was by herself ergo, SHE WAS THE FUCKING INSTRUCTOR.

Forget mandatory retesting - how about mandatory 'liquidation' of the feckless and incompetent? :lol:
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Rich B wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:45 am rubbish, just drive like you’ve got your mum in the car, move your head every time you glance in the mirror so they see it and it would be simple

This is the point I was trying to get across. If they did have a mandatory retest this wouldn’t even be permitted- every one knows the government/police/dvla/vosa all go out of their way to introduce rulings that don’t always seem to make sense (like how many times MOT certificates have changed for example). If a retest was introduced then I can guarantee that a rule where you must go through lessons before being allowed to take the test would be introduced along with it, with a minimum of 5-10 hours of lessons performed beforehand, and as GG.’s post shows how many numptys would be trained by numptys? I know someone who was asked on 2 different driving tests to pull over and get out by the examiner, she eventually passed on about the 9th time taking it and still shouldn’t be on the road several years later, but was deemed to be a safe driver, albeit not a very good one. Testing won’t remove idiots from the roads, it’ll leave you out of pocket by a couple of hundred pounds, you’ll need time off work to do it- and all that would be achieved it pissing off 99% of motorists and a massive increase in people driving without a license as there’s no police to enforce it now as it is
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

What a load of made up nonsense.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

NotoriousREV wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:07 pm What a load of made up nonsense.
They'll insist you do all the above whilst wearing a top hat, holding a live goose and singing Disney songs too. FACT.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Rich B wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:13 pm
NotoriousREV wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:07 pm What a load of made up nonsense.
They'll insist you do all the above whilst wearing a top hat, holding a live goose and singing Disney songs too. FACT.
I guarantee it!
Middle-aged Dirtbag
GG.

Post by GG. »

Just to be clear - when I said "Forget mandatory testing" I meant only if we have the backup option of rounding all these people up so they can go around licking windows and bumping into things in a safe setting away from everyone else. In the absence of that I'm all in favour of mandatory re-testing on a 10 year basis.

Photocard licences all need the photo updating and reissuing on that timescale anyway so part of the administrative machinery is already in place.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

I have to agree with Rev, if you couldn't go out and pass a driving test tomorrow then you're the person who should be getting off the roads. No one has a right to drive or a right to avoid a retest just because they have a job or need to take time off for a retest. People are killed by piss poor driving, are we really saying that someone's life isn't important enough to justify maintaining standards for the sake of inconvenience? Sums up the mentality of the masses...
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Orange Cola wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:16 pm I have to agree with Rev, if you couldn't go out and pass a driving test tomorrow then you're the person who should be getting off the roads. No one has a right to drive or a right to avoid a retest just because they have a job or need to take time off for a retest. People are killed by piss poor driving, are we really saying that someone's life isn't important enough to justify maintaining standards for the sake of inconvenience? Sums up the mentality of the masses...
Why not make people re-take a test when they commit an offence?

DWDCAA then take a test. That covers a lot of situations and those who don’t show any lack of driving judgement then aren’t made to pay out.

Dave!
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

We already do that for the worst offenders. I'd like to think if our police force had the funding it needed to put more police back on the roads, because it's been years since I saw one on patrol, they'd be happily stopping folk doing 20 under the limit and weaving into the grass verges for no reason. Maybe then they could send people off for a retest.
ilmostro

Post by ilmostro »

Saw this on BBC news a few days back, but they don't seem to have an iPlayer for some reason?

Some deputy head teacher driving absolutely shitfaced.

https://www.itv.com/news/meridian/2018- ... onviction/
Jezh

Post by Jezh »

ilmostro wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:28 pm Saw this on BBC news a few days back, but they don't seem to have an iPlayer for some reason?

Some deputy head teacher driving absolutely shitfaced.

https://www.itv.com/news/meridian/2018- ... onviction/
The initial dual carriageway part of that clip and the roundabout she fails to negotiate are a mile from where I live. :shock:

What about this Darwin candidate?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/0 ... lling/amp/

Basically 99% of humans are morons and you can test them all you like never going to stop stupidity.
Your opinion is very important for me. Thank you please.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Ignoring the obvious question of how someone so stupid can afford a Tesla, any car manufacturer calling any in-car function an 'Autopilot' is asking for trouble frankly.
Jezh

Post by Jezh »

JLv3.0 wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:32 am Ignoring the obvious question of how someone so stupid can afford a Tesla, any car manufacturer calling any in-car function an 'Autopilot' is asking for trouble frankly.
Correct. Just giving the inept and feckless even more of an excuse to be err inept and feckless!!!
Your opinion is very important for me. Thank you please.
Simon

Post by Simon »

JLv3.0 wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:32 am Ignoring the obvious question of how someone so stupid can afford a Tesla, any car manufacturer calling any in-car function an 'Autopilot' is asking for trouble frankly.
Point is though that they describe it as a suite of assistance systems. Full autopilot isn't ready yet, and won't be for a while (Tesla keep losing department heads for the autopilot function...)
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Simon wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:34 am
Point is though that they describe it as a suite of assistance systems. Full autopilot isn't ready yet, and won't be for a while (Tesla keep losing department heads for the autopilot function...)
Is that heads as in staff or heads as in head of dept?
Simon

Post by Simon »

The later...
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Gwaredd

Post by Gwaredd »

NotoriousREV wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:03 am

You're older than you think you are. I'm 43...
Really? Fucking hell mate :o
Cheers.

Gwaredd