Letting people out

DaveE

Letting people out

Post by DaveE »

I'm a pretty sedate, courteous driver (as much as I can be)

And as such, I tend to offer to let people in/out of junctions.

But no more...

"people" are such distracted, inattentive drivers that most of the time they're too gormless to notice/react to the invitation that it generally ends up just causing confusion.

So fuck 'em. They can sit there and wait.
JLv3.0

Re: Letting people out

Post by JLv3.0 »

It's worse in the UK than anywhere else, because I really believe that at one point we had the most polite driving culture.

Not all the time, but you'd get flashed out, you'd acknowledge with a wave, sometimes getting that acknowledgement acknowledged and so on. But now everyone's just on their phones and they don't get it.

In other countries, obviously the more hellishly 3rd world, the worse it is, there were no manners at all in the first place, so no reason to ever be disappointed.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Maybe it's just that I come from a more polite age and I need to get with the times... ;)
GG.

Post by GG. »

Its more the brief wave of acknowledgment that is slowly being dropped (particularly here in London and amongst younger drivers) that winds me up.

Particularly where you give way when the obstruction isn't obviously 'on your side'...
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Worse than that is when some courteous driver stops to let someone out and the waiting driver isn't expecting it, so it takes a while for them to get going, and when they do, the courteous driver has already decided they're not going to go, so they both move at the same time, then they both brake and eventually someone goes. This always happens when I'm the car behind the courteous driver and there's nothing behind me so if the courteous driver had just followed the fucking rules of the road in the first place everyone would have carried on with their journey in less time with less stress.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Simon

Post by Simon »

Or like the other day - Cars parked on both sides of the road with only enough remaining room for one car to drive down the centre. So I'm following a car who arrives at this point in the road. He drives through, but I spot a car coming the other way arrive and wait at the far end of the parked cars, so I stop to allow him to come past. Just as he's passed me and I'm about move off an X5 arrives at the end of a side road just beyond the row of parked cars. He doesn't stop at his junction, pulls straight out and drives straight towards me down between the parked cars, ignores my priority and sails through without any acknowledgement.
Last edited by Simon on Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Definitely a he? You may have been unfortunate enough to have had to share road space with a "woman".
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

NotoriousREV wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:59 am Worse than that is when some courteous driver stops to let someone out and the waiting driver isn't expecting it, so it takes a while for them to get going, and when they do, the courteous driver has already decided they're not going to go, so they both move at the same time, then they both brake and eventually someone goes. This always happens when I'm the car behind the courteous driver and there's nothing behind me so if the courteous driver had just followed the fucking rules of the road in the first place everyone would have carried on with their journey in less time with less stress.
That reminds of that thing when several people arrive at a mini roundabout, and because no one knows the highway code anymore, they all sit there waiting for someone else to go, before finally all going at the same time.

:roll:
Mr Pish
Currently Driving: Model 3 Performance

Post by Mr Pish »

GG. wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:55 am Its more the brief wave of acknowledgment that is slowly being dropped (particularly here in London and amongst younger drivers) that winds me up.

Particularly where you give way when the obstruction isn't obviously 'on your side'...
The entitled generation

You should give way to them, they have 57 followers on facebook
Join us, join the Teslarati!
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

DaveE wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:51 am
NotoriousREV wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:59 am Worse than that is when some courteous driver stops to let someone out and the waiting driver isn't expecting it, so it takes a while for them to get going, and when they do, the courteous driver has already decided they're not going to go, so they both move at the same time, then they both brake and eventually someone goes. This always happens when I'm the car behind the courteous driver and there's nothing behind me so if the courteous driver had just followed the fucking rules of the road in the first place everyone would have carried on with their journey in less time with less stress.
That reminds of that thing when several people arrive at a mini roundabout, and because no one knows the highway code anymore, they all sit there waiting for someone else to go, before finally all going at the same time.

I've usually already gone by that stage :lol: We have a couple of bad ones here that really test your mettle. Best approach is to assume you're going to have right of way when you get there and don't give them even half a chance
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Similarly it drives me mad when drivers stop to let people cross the road when you're walking. If they just kept driving we'd manage fine.
An absolute unit
scotta

Post by scotta »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:26 pm
DaveE wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:51 am

I've usually already gone by that stage :lol: We have a couple of bad ones here that really test your mettle. Best approach is to assume you're going to have right of way when you get there and don't give them even half a chance
or you enter the roundabout at the same time as someone else but they decide to cut straight across the painted "roundabout" and look at you as if your stupid.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

*you're :lol:
sec

Post by sec »

Not drivers, but along the courtesy line... giving way to pedestrians on zebra crossings. 15-20 years ago, 8/10 people would say thanks, now it's 8/10 that don't acknowledge.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Can we also add people who stop to let others out of junctions when there's no one behind them, if they bothered to check their mirrors they'd realise it'd be quicker to sail straight past the junction then the person waiting can just anyway.
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Orange Cola wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:21 pm Can we also add people who stop to let others out of junctions when there's no one behind them, if they bothered to check their mirrors they'd realise it'd be quicker to sail straight past the junction then the person waiting can just anyway.
we can.
mik

Post by mik »

Rich B wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:28 pm
Orange Cola wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:21 pm Can we also add people who stop to let others out of junctions when there's no one behind them, if they bothered to check their mirrors they'd realise it'd be quicker to sail straight past the junction then the person waiting can just anyway.
we can.
No we can't.

If there is no one behind them who GAF?

The annoying TAUCs are the ones who do this when it is only YOU behind them. If they bothered to check their mirrors they'd realise it'd be quicker for them and you to sail straight past the junction then the person waiting can just pull out.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

mik wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:59 pm
Rich B wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:28 pm
we can.
No we can't.

If there is no one behind them who GAF?

The annoying TAUCs are the ones who do this when it is only YOU behind them. If they bothered to check their mirrors they'd realise it'd be quicker for them and you to sail straight past the junction then the person waiting can just pull out.
correction allowed
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

If only someone had raised this particular issue sooner, albeit less succinctly.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
PreacherCain

Post by PreacherCain »

Jesus Christ, this thread reads like a transcript of an IAM meeting in an old folks' home.

Can we just agree that other road users are generally arseholes and move on? Then we can just be pleasantly surprised when one does something nice and/or sensible for a fucking change.