Food served on wood

Richard

Re: Food served on wood

Post by Richard »

JLv3.0 wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:58 pm
Richard wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:26 pm I served burgers on a wooden board yesterday, to save on washing up

As delicious as they look, that might be the subject of another moan actually - burgers that require a fliptop head and dislocatable jaw in order to eat :lol:
I actually agree

These were too big really. Shoulh have made 4 patties not 2 out of the 1lb of mince I had

This leads me on to my issue with eating burgers out at pubs/restaurants...

A restaurant will want to charge a certain amount of money per plate. Where I live, it’s going to be like £15ish. Wanting to charge £15ish for a burger and chips means you’ve got to make the product look like it’s worth £15, which means burgers now are massive and rammed full of toppings/sauces etc, and probably served with a skewer or (eurgh) a knife stabbed in the top

These massive burgers are then nearly impossible to eat and make a massive mess, all over their flat wooden board and no doubt down my shirt

For that reason, and because my own are so very incredible, I never order burgers when I’m out
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

The place my missus is working in just now is trialing a burger to put on the menu so I had to go in last night to try it. I got a reasonably sized, very tasty burger on a plate with a couple of pints of decent beer in not stupid glasses. It didn't cost me a penny either. It's a hard life sometimes :lol:.
An absolute unit
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Richard wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:08 pm
JLv3.0 wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:58 pm
Richard wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:26 pm I served burgers on a wooden board yesterday, to save on washing up

As delicious as they look, that might be the subject of another moan actually - burgers that require a fliptop head and dislocatable jaw in order to eat :lol:
I actually agree

These were too big really. Shoulh have made 4 patties not 2 out of the 1lb of mince I had

This leads me on to my issue with eating burgers out at pubs/restaurants...

A restaurant will want to charge a certain amount of money per plate. Where I live, it’s going to be like £15ish. Wanting to charge £15ish for a burger and chips means you’ve got to make the product look like it’s worth £15, which means burgers now are massive and rammed full of toppings/sauces etc, and probably served with a skewer or (eurgh) a knife stabbed in the top

These massive burgers are then nearly impossible to eat and make a massive mess, all over their flat wooden board and no doubt down my shirt

For that reason, and because my own are so very incredible, I never order burgers when I’m out
You need to get those in the BBQ thread then ;)
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Beef Wellington starter apparently

Cheers,

Ian
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Jesus CHRIST.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

JLv3.0 wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:33 pmJesus CHRIST.
that was thorns mate....
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

#Reimagined :lol:
Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Post by Delphi »

See also: Chips served in a little bucket or a fucking watering can. Just Fuck Right Off you pretentious cunts!
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Rich B wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:42 pm
JLv3.0 wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:33 pmJesus CHRIST.
that was thorns mate....
:lol:
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Why’s it so hard to make a flatter burger?

Just use the same amount of meat in a bun/ roll which was baked for a small child.

An XL Bacon doubleCceseburger from Burger King should be used as an appropriate template for burger size and shape.

Some burgers are like having a huge meatball in a roll.

Dave!
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

V8Granite wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:45 pm Why’s it so hard to make a flatter burger?

Just use the same amount of meat in a bun/ roll which was baked for a small child.

An XL Bacon doubleCceseburger from Burger King should be used as an appropriate template for burger size and shape.

Dave!
It's tricky to cook them medium/rare or even medium on the Barbie when their that thin. Inch thick is where it's at.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I like a massive towering burger I have to deconstruct and eat with knife and fork :oops:

Serving it on a lump of wood with chips in a mini bucket can fuck right off though.

Even if they stick it on a plate they seem to love sticking a bit of paper under it for some reason :?
Cheers, Harry
mik

Post by mik »

I also tend to eat my burgers with a knife and fork. Mainly ‘cos I am decreasingly interested in the bread bits : big burger and all the other elements remain yummy though.
ilmostro

Post by ilmostro »

Due to work and stuff, I've been hitting McD's, Greggs etc for the last 2 months.

I'm now 10Kg heavier. :oops:
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

V8Granite wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:45 pm Why’s it so hard to make a flatter burger?

Dave!
Totally agree.

I now do either 3, 4 or 5oz patties, depending on whether we're doing 2 each an/or any other food. Form into balls, get them on a hot plate and then press down with a cast iron steak press until slightly thinner than you'd like. They'll thicken up a little when cooking.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

aye, 4 oz for a double stack burger or slightly thicker if we're only putting one on each bun. I flatten them out before I put them on the heat because I use a griddle, my missus has started making her own buns as well and they're ace.

I would post a picture but the only one I could find is the promo shot they've done for the burger she came up with for work and they've put it in the lid of a steamer. I wouldn't want to trigger anyone :lol:.
An absolute unit
ste

Post by ste »

Worth a look and a twitter follow: http://wewantplates.com
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Mmm, I might have to go to Five Guys or MeatLiquor for lunch after reading this thread.

Those look good - burger recipe/method please!
Left over crest; tightens.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Can't speak for the above but the following has never let me down - dead simple:

500g lean mince
1 onion
2 eggs
"An amount" of breadcrumbs
Dijon mustard
Plum sauce, BBQ sauce or black bean sauce (yes really - fills out the taste nicely) - quantity up to you
Salt and pepper

I made these once as an afterthought as I had a panic that I didn't have enough steak, chicken etc after a few late confirmations arrived. Fuckers cleaned off the burgers and didn't get round to touch any of the more expensive stuff!

Oh and serve in pita bread if you can, no point wading through a loaf of bread to get to the burger!
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I don't use the eggs or breadcrumbs, the burgers I make have never needed the extra binding.

Mince, salt (I use smoked salt if you can find it, it's been harder to find in shops here recently), pepper, garlic & onion powder and ancho chilli powder. I make turkey burgers this way as well which are also ace.

Put them in a bun, JL's apparently been in the middle east for too long ;).
An absolute unit