This might be a contentious one...

NotoriousREV

Re: This might be a contentious one...

Post by NotoriousREV »

nuttinnew wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:28 pm Rev, how do view mention of pets and google posting someone's 479th birthday?

Mito; in some respects nothing has changed, e.g. no reception down t' pit.
I like the Birthday reminders because otherwise I wouldn’t remember when they were and it makes me feel special to have 100 people I barely talk to wish me Happy Birthday because Mark Zuckerberg told them to.

Pets is the same as dead parents: fine in moderation but posting 76 pictures of your pug with its tongue hanging out is going to get you unfollowed unless you happen to be a hot blonde South African who rides motorbikes.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
PreacherCain

Post by PreacherCain »

Facebook is for the psychologically fragile, the extravagantly stupid and the terminally self-absorbed. Fuck Facebook and every knobjockey who uses it.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

If only Facebook told us a few days before people’s birthdays so we could send them a card.
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

PreacherCain wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:48 pm Facebook is for the psychologically fragile, the extravagantly stupid and the terminally self-absorbed. Fuck Facebook and every knobjockey who uses it.
It has it's moments though!
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

PreacherCain wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:48 pm Facebook is for the psychologically fragile, the extravagantly stupid and the terminally self-absorbed. Fuck Facebook and every knobjockey who uses it.
Mein neger 😎
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:03 pm
Mein neger 😎
Rassist
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

JLv3.0 wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:00 pm Yes, it was terrible. You'd meet up with people in person if you wanted to and caught up on each other's lives face to face.
That literally went out of fashion, didn’t it? I do wonder how much depression can be linked to the rise of social media and the demise of actually seeing people to catch up with them.

I think people have a lot less to “look forward to” these days. Yes you look forward to holidays etc but there’s not the weekly catch up with your mates down the pub/cafe/whatever every week on a Thursday any more where you have a regular switch off from life and a good chat and laugh. That’s handled by Facebook and Instasgram for a lot of people now and that’s just shit. Dating has gone the same way, people use apps for fucks sake.
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

Orange Cola wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:34 pm
JLv3.0 wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:00 pm Yes, it was terrible. You'd meet up with people in person if you wanted to and caught up on each other's lives face to face.
That literally went out of fashion, didn’t it? I do wonder how much depression can be linked to the rise of social media and the demise of actually seeing people to catch up with them.

I think people have a lot less to “look forward to” these days. Yes you look forward to holidays etc but there’s not the weekly catch up with your mates down the pub/cafe/whatever every week on a Thursday any more where you have a regular switch off from life and a good chat and laugh. That’s handled by Facebook and Instasgram for a lot of people now and that’s just shit. Dating has gone the same way, people use apps for fucks sake.
Or you are just old and don't go out any more? I am sure older folks than us have bemoaned the "youth of today" not having fun because of The Wireless then on TV.

I think the rise in shoot-em-ups (first person somethings?) have seriously lowered the number of rammys in Glasgow and there are far fewer chibbings and fights generally! Not like the good old days when we had World Wars to make the kids get out and meet new folks and try new experiences.

Yes, social media has had an impact on society, as did the internet, the wheel and many other things and at every "advance" older people have moaned about it.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Depression and being a bit sad aren’t the same thing hth.
An absolute unit
Gwaredd

Post by Gwaredd »

See, I think this for every Facebook hater. You used it wrong, so you hate it, therefore you are stupid. Facebook is not a hard concept to grasp really, when used correctly for your own personal benefit that is.

Same applies for Twitter. If it's not for you, move on.
Cheers.

Gwaredd
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Gwaredd wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:39 am
See, I think this for every Facebook hater. You used it wrong, so you hate it, therefore you are stupid. Facebook is not a hard concept to grasp really, when used correctly for your own personal benefit that is.

It works better for our Skating and Racing events than a website does, we are able to organise things and notify people of changes to events quickly and easily. It reaches far more people than the website would. A means to an end really. I don't post that much on there really.

Carl.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Gwaredd wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:39 am

I don't think it's about the concept being hard to grasp mate, so tuck that one back in your little box :lol:

I just didn't like be so in touch all the time with everyone, felt a bit scattergun. Ditched it and now get to catch up with people when I see them, works better for me.

That's it really.
Richard

Post by Richard »

My friends and I used to have a private group set up on Facebook. We could talk freely with only the 8 of us in it seeing the content, and it kept our friendship group together for a number of years. We were friends from college, and all ended up going to different areas with uni/life. But we all spoke every single day on Facebook

Then we slowly moved to WhatsApp, and have our own group on there for the 8 of us, and continue to talk every single day.

We wouldn’t all still be friends without it

This wouldn’t have been possible for people much older than us. In fact, our age group was the first to be able to get Facebook, back when it was Uni students only

We used Facebook correctly, for us and it’s a very powerful tool. But we used it privately. We didn’t share our jokes/chat/#MadBantz with the whole world. That’s the problem with it, I think. They let any idiot use it now, and the “Facebook mummy” type have ruined it. It now allows the brainless, lonely morons, to broadcast their every thought.

You might suggest unfriending these people, and that’s a good idea, but eventually you’re only left with people who don’t or hardly ever post on facebook, meaning the platform is near useless

I still use it for family stuff. My sister just had a baby, so it’s a nice way for the whole family (cousins/uncles/grandparents etc) to chat a bit about that. It’s almost like an awful family party, but I’ve not had to go anywhere

Also, I’m a big fan of my local “Rants” group, where people in the town “rant” local problems - mostly bad parking and the horror of new houses being built. It’s perfect for a bit of casual old school trolling
Barry

Post by Barry »

I use FB as part diary part keeping my family informed of my antics so I don't have to go to all the family gatherings. I have most ppl unfollowed so I avoid most of the spam and nonsense but I can still check in on them now and again. People over think social media, use it for what you want and turn the rest off.
Gwaredd

Post by Gwaredd »

Barry wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:37 pm I use FB as part diary part keeping my family informed of my antics so I don't have to go to all the family gatherings. I have most ppl unfollowed so I avoid most of the spam and nonsense but I can still check in on them now and again. People over think social media, use it for what you want and turn the rest off.
This.

Personally, I like to see my mates/old school friends on holiday or having a good time. It's nice.

The dead parent mourners can FRO though.
Cheers.

Gwaredd
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

ZedLeg wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:27 am

Depression and being a bit sad aren’t the same thing hth.
Thanks. That was written from my own experience of the subject :roll:
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Then you’ll know that the urge to isolate yourself from social contact is a symptom of depression not a cause.

I’ve found social media can help with it personally. It gives me a place where I can be kind of social even while anxiety is convincing me that I’m a complete piece of shit and everyone hates me.
An absolute unit
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Wow, you really didn’t get how to use it did you! 😂