This might be a contentious one...

drcarlos

Re: This might be a contentious one...

Post by drcarlos »

NotoriousREV wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:48 pm
Jimmy Choo wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:29 pm Is this thread a moan about FB or needy attention whores?
Yes.
I used to feel the same and the first time I unfollowed someone felt a little pang of guilt, I soon got over it though.

Now when I do it I see it as therapy, I know this kind of people exist in the world but much like Love Island when they seem to congregate I just ignore them. Hopefully more will choose the same and the effect will be like cutting the head off a snake.

I was watching for a few minutes last night the celebrity island (as I like to see them tortured) and someone called Montana Brown who was famous for being on Love Island (FFS) called herself a social media influencer! Well talk about the first people to be left out of the lifeboat, prime candidate right there.

Carl.
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

I've noticed that it seems to be poor people who wail the most.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Facebook is the worst anyway

It’s for “that sort of person”

So, maybe don’t use it?

Facebook is for people above average age, below average intelligence. Ignore it. Delete the app. Just visit very occasionally.

The person you’re referring to here, Rev, is almost certainly “one of those”. You can either support this person by giving likes, or delete them as a friend. Either way, by moaning about it, maybe you too are “one of those”?
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

If I had a dollar for every time someone said they don’t use Facebook/advised others to not use Facebook but used it themselves I’d have enough for a V8 Defender.
How about not having a sig at all?
Barry

Post by Barry »

I'll freely admit I'm a bit sick of certain attention whoring on FB (well aware of my own irony on this) so I just unfollow people that post too many motivational posters, baby pictures, whatever I'm sick of seeing that week.

Which basically means I'm down to a few regulars on my feed and I just have a run round a few peoples profiles if I'm bored now and again.

I'm quite certain they do the same to me with all my biking pics so it balances :lol:
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Regarding motivational posters - when the fuck did that all kick off? Quite a few people I know from school are now motivational speakers but haven’t achieved anything in life apart from getting in debt with a crap degree. Part of me thinks it’s a bullshit scheme like the Forex Scam but I’m not close enough with them to actually know.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Middle-aged Dirtbag
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

:lol:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

"If you think a motivational quote will help your life, your life is unbelievably basic and unimportant".
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Middle-aged Dirtbag
Richard

Post by Richard »

Weird full stop on that final line
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

I’ve lost three family members over the past year, haven’t put it on Facebook at all. I’ve got friends who have raised awareness for proper levels of support and help available via their Facebook posts for child deaths, based on their experiences. I like those, I think they offer a genuine purpose especially for those other friends I know who have been through similar on their own.

And I’ve got the people who post about it day in day out, year after year, they now get turned off or unfriended because that shit is just attention seeking.
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Well it's either that or they're just not smart enough to know how to actually solve their personal issues, and think a vacuous half-hearted Like is the remedy. Either way, they won't enrich your life.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I wonder what people did before ‘like’ was a thing. Sadly was too young to remember but I assume the world was a much more miserable place before social media.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Yes, it was terrible. You'd meet up with people in person if you wanted to and caught up on each other's lives face to face.

Are you just legitimately thick or is this yet another troll for attention?

If it's the latter, do stop now please - you've been doing it for years and really should have grown out of it by now. You must be in your mid-20s? It's time.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

You’ve been on forums since they were first incepted and still can’t tell a serious post from a sarcastic one...
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

With you, no, I must admit.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I’ll spam my posts with emojis just for you from now.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

That would help. I think a bigger issue is I don't really get your sense of humour so can never tell if you're trying to be funny or not.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Rev, how do view mention of pets and google posting someone's 479th birthday?

Mito; in some respects nothing has changed, e.g. no reception down t' pit.