This might be a contentious one...

NotoriousREV

This might be a contentious one...

Post by NotoriousREV »

Or not, as you're all cunts like me.

We're of that age where, sadly, more and more of us are losing parents. It's part of the cycle of life. but, I've got a couple of (female) friends who can't go more than a couple of hours without mentioning on social media that they miss their parent and how hard it is. In one case it's been 4 years. That shit ain't healthy, but you can't really say anything, can you?

Now I've typed this out, I'm sure I've complained about this before.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Re: This might be a contentious one...

Post by Rich B »

Unfriend.
Simon

Post by Simon »

'Unfollow' them on FB, but don't unfriend?

This stuff scares the bejesus out of me. Both my parents are over 70 and have outlived all of their ancestors, save for my great aunt who lived to 90+ and was retired for 35 years.

Every time I see 'Mum and Dad' calling me on the phone I'm worried it's 'the call', despite the fact that they're both strong, fit and healthy and could easily live another 20 years.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

We've had a similar discussion before where I had a bit of an argument with JL (I know, it's out of character).

I think it's like talking about anything that's personal/painful on social media, if it helps you to talk about it then go for it. My sister will sometimes post about our mum but usually only on a day she would've liked her to be around, the kid's birthdays and so on.

If I saw someone I thought wasn't coping well and they're a good enough friend that I thought I could help, I'd probably pick up the phone or something.

If you think someone's just doing it for attention it only takes a second to scroll past and get on with your life.
An absolute unit
tim

Post by tim »

U ok hun?

What Zed said.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

ZedLeg wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:23 amIf I saw someone I thought wasn't coping well and they're a good enough friend that I thought I could help, I'd probably pick up the phone or something.

If you think someone's just doing it for attention it only takes a second to scroll past and get on with your life.
All of that. Much as I hate agreeing with him :lol:
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

I think I may have posted something about people posting for deceased relatives on Father's/Mother's day on a day when I was feeling pretty cunty and someone took my vague "why if not for attention" position and ran with it to general disdain and abuse.

I do see the odd post about missing a parent from time to time but I have either mellowed or taken a "don't be a dick" pill but frankly, if it helps them to get a bit of empathy or sympathy then all power to them.

My Dad, last year, did the whole "and this is where all the important paperwork is, you will need that" which was not the nicest thing that has ever happened. My wife's parents have this past fortnight said they can no longer visit (they used to come up a week her or there an stay locally) as her Dad has ME and sciatica so cannot even get a bus or train.

My parents are 79 and 80 and healthy for their age but they have started to seem old recently which I guess I had ignored by and large.

Well that rattled on! :D
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Ah yes I remember that thread very clearly now. Not our finest collective hour, frankly, certainly not mine.

This will be the part of any thread to do with social media where I remind everyone that not using it very nicely solves this type of problem, and then you call me a cunt or something :lol:
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Simon wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:05 amEvery time I see 'Mum and Dad' calling me on the phone I'm worried it's 'the call', despite the fact that they're both strong, fit and healthy and could easily live another 20 years.
Same here, to the point I've banned them from calling me UNLESS someone has died.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Guess their prattling letting it out is better than suffering on their own or killing themselves :D
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

It’s a bit weird sharing something very personal on social media that only a few of your closest friends/family give a damn about. But hey if a bit of attention grabbing stops a suicide then I’m all for it.
How about not having a sig at all?
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

This is a bit cunty 🙄

Isn't The Facebook a 21st Century diary and we've all seen (even on here) how cathartic it come be just putting issues out there, even to people who couldn't give a fuck 😂
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Mito Man wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:14 pm It’s a bit weird sharing something very personal on social media that only a few of your closest friends/family give a damn about. But hey if a bit of attention grabbing stops a suicide then I’m all for it.
And you should be changing you username to 'Mito Pot'
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Carlos wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:32 pm
Mito Man wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:14 pm It’s a bit weird sharing something very personal on social media that only a few of your closest friends/family give a damn about. But hey if a bit of attention grabbing stops a suicide then I’m all for it.
And you should be changing your username to 'Mito Pot'.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Yes but people vent on here because it’s mostly anonymous and you know everyone is a cunt so it’s alright, plus you get actual conversation going rather than 7 likes and a few one word comments from the 3 people who care.

If you want to grab specific peoples interest just message them?
How about not having a sig at all?
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Carlos wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:27 pm This is a bit cunty 🙄

Isn't The Facebook a 21st Century diary and we've all seen (even on here) how cathartic it come be just putting issues out there, even to people who couldn't give a fuck 😂
I get that. But not 3 times per day for 4 years.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

Some people just get on with it, others don't. Since my father went in April we've carried on, my mother the same. That sounds disrespectful perhaps but it really isn't, we just don't know any other way. Even if my mother did use Facebook she wouldn't be the type to broadcast her feelings. Most of the family don't and aren't, to be honest, beyond the initial announcement or something which acknowledges it to themselves, which is probably why I posted on here back in April (that cathartic thing again).
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

My dad is back in hospital again (only a month since his last stint) and the visits are getting more regular. The scenario that he was given by the consultant now seems to be playing out and when we get him back out for a few weeks we are thankful for a bit more time. This time around it was me that forced him into hospital (he has a case of cellulitis now) and shit as they say 'got real'. I can say that it's genuinely quite scary even for someone the wrong side of 40 to lose their backstop. Although I'm sure we'll all cope and I have my wife and kids, mum has me and my brother and 5 grandkids so she will have plenty of people around her too. But, it will be a huge hole.
I guess I'm saying I can see why some people struggle, especially those that may not have good relationships or their own kids. Will I post it on Facebook, sometimes probably but not that often. Probably like a couple of friends do, with little messages on Fathers/Mothers day and their birthdays.

Carl.
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Sorry to hear that Carlos.

Is this thread a moan about FB or needy attention whores?
Banal Vapid Platitudes
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Jimmy Choo wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:29 pm Is this thread a moan about FB or needy attention whores?
Yes.
Middle-aged Dirtbag