The local-ish farmer

Orange Cola

The local-ish farmer

Post by Orange Cola »

Who has decided to have three pikey fairs on his land this year as opposed to the usual two. The first two have been and gone and the third is next weekend. As of this evening we’ve already got pikeys moved into the local fields and grass verges and the collective villagers where I live have already seen them out scoping every road and dead end in the village as soon as it went dark. The cameras on the house have picked them up snooping around within four hours of them moving into the area, must be a new record.

Crime goes through the roof when the fair is on, record numbers of call outs to hotels and pubs for violence, criminal damage to property and cars goes through the roof, theft and break ins jump up. Earlier in the year they did a car park and nicked all the alloys off ten cars.

The local authority has had to explain their powers don’t allow them to ban the farmer from holding the event but instead they have to try and manage it with increased police, fire and ambulance crews as best as possible. Reading between the lines it suggests they’d ban the event if they could.

There’s another ten days to go with more of them setting up camp locally as they linger for a while after the event too. The farmer who hosts the events is clearly of the “fuck you” mentality, I wouldn’t be surprised if someone pays him a visit soon.

I look forward to the regular knock on the door from a couple of dodgy blokes having a good snoop around whilst politely telling them I don’t need my drive way or gutters redoing.
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
Orange Cola

Re: The local-ish farmer

Post by Orange Cola »

You couldn’t write this. They’ve got live stock with them, I’ve just gone upstairs and out the window in the distance, not far from where the pikeys are, there’s a hay barn on fire. The same hay barn they set on fire for the fair this time last year and it took months for the owner to get an insurance payout to replace with a new barn plus the cost of having to replace the lost crop.

Bastards.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Where you live sounds shit. Have you considered moving to somewhere better where this sort of thing doesn't happen?
GG.

Post by GG. »

JLv3.0 wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:15 pm Where you live sounds shit. Have you considered moving to somewhere better where this sort of thing doesn't happen?
It sounds somewhat like he lives in 1955 so he may need Doc Brown to help him out :lol:
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

We have a gypsy fair on the Green. Has happened every year for decades.

I remember when I had first moved to the village some old codger saying "Oh lock all your doors bla bla" nothing has ever happened in 12 summers. We stick a toilet block on the green and a skip, charge them for the space and they read palms for a week them bugger off.

There was one year they expected trouble as rival families were due but again, they stuck a community policing van on the site and all went peacefully.

Are you sure you are not watching Snatch whilst dozing? :)
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

All day drinking session OC? 😉
Cheers,

Ian
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Gavin wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:15 am We have a gypsy fair on the Green. Has happened every year for decades.

I remember when I had first moved to the village some old codger saying "Oh lock all your doors bla bla" nothing has ever happened in 12 summers. We stick a toilet block on the green and a skip, charge them for the space and they read palms for a week them bugger off.

There was one year they expected trouble as rival families were due but again, they stuck a community policing van on the site and all went peacefully.

Are you sure you are not watching Snatch whilst dozing? :)
Gypsies and Pikies are different though (My Father in law is from a Romany Gypsy background so i have a bit of insight here). The Romanies Gypsies are usually quite trust worthy they do their jobs and keep themselves to themselves. We had 3 likeable old guys in our village when I was growing up who were Romanies, used to be great guys doing odd jobs and would always stop for a friendly chat.
Irish Travellers or Pikies just drink, fight and steal, they give the Romanies a bad name as everyone lumps them into the same box. That stupid CH4 series doesn't help either. Also the Pikies like to present an image on there that they are oppressed and blamed for stuff they don't do, when you know if you live in their vicinity all of your life you know darn well they are to blame.
We have a couple of fixed sites a few miles from the village and when was growing up most of the trouble in the Village came from them. Motorbikes, Cars and bikes stolen, plus other fairly random things too. Fighting and general intimidation ('you wanna spar with me moosh' was their favourite saying) of the other people in the village were also common pass times for them.

Carl.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

All of that...
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I hadn’t realised you live in or around Kenilworth, Tango.

Reputedly he has been running the horse fair in an attempt to piss people off enough that they would be grateful to support a planning application for a housing estate. He does probably have difficulty stopping them coming anyway though, since it’s been going so long.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:16 am I hadn’t realised you live in or around Kenilworth, Tango.

Reputedly he has been running the horse fair in an attempt to piss people off enough that they would be grateful to support a planning application for a housing estate. He does probably have difficulty stopping them coming anyway though, since it’s been going so long.
There’s a lot of housing sites proposed for Warwickshire, most being forced through to a point, really surprised it isn’t a prime site as it’s right next to the A46 too. They’re currently in lots of small pockets growing in size in a twenty mile radius of the site.

Carlos is right, these are pikeys not Gypsies. We get gypsies rocking up somewhere locally for most of the year and there’s never an ounce of trouble.