Being old

ZedLeg

Being old

Post by ZedLeg »

Went to see Kendrick Lamar last night, feel like I've been beaten up this morning.

Everyone at the show looked about 12.

I got mistaken for a drug dealer three times, which would'nt have been that bad except that one of the folk asked for something I had never heard of. This made me feel like a dinosaur.

Show was amazing though.
An absolute unit
NotoriousREV

Re: Being old

Post by NotoriousREV »

I had a similar experience going to watch RTJ. Awesome night, but I felt every year of my 4.3 decades.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

I don't even know who tf Kendrick Lamar is. Although it's seemingly in my predictive text.

Doesn't bother me when i go to gigs but thats prpbably because metal has always had fairly diverse age ranges at gigs
mik

Post by mik »

A few of my eldest's pals were there. Does that helpm you feel younger?
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:58 am
Doesn't bother me when i go to gigs but thats prpbably because metal has always had fairly diverse age ranges at gigs
Didn't really bother me tbh.

It's the first time I've been to a show that size since Metallica 14 years ago, which doesn't help with the elderly feeling :lol:.

First time being squashed in a big crowd in a long time has just reminded me I'm not as young as I used to be :).

These hip hop kids don't know what a mosh pit is though, their efforts were pitiful.
An absolute unit
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

We went to see Grandmaster Flash on Sunday night. Despite him being 60 and many of the audience being older than us, I felt ancient. It was too loud and we had to leave before the end to go home to bed.

ETA: at least Flash is properly hip hop, not some young upstart like this Lamarr bloke. What was he doing in 1973 when Flash was perfecting scratching, eh?
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

ZedLeg wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:59 am
Swervin_Mervin wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:58 am
Didn't really bother me tbh.

It's the first time I've been to a show that size since Metallica 14 years ago, which doesn't help with the elderly feeling :lol:.

First time being squashed in a big crowd in a long time has just reminded me I'm not as young as I used to be :).

These hip hop kids don't know what a mosh pit is though, their efforts were pitiful.
Last time I saw a proper moshpit was a while ago! Think it was the Zombie/Manson Twins of Evil tour. There was a wall of death going on at one stage. Obvs I was well outside it as I was still far too old for that. Made my heart weep with joy that kids still did it though and haven't all turned into fragile neshes.
Barry

Post by Barry »

New coder started here earlier this year, turns out he was THREE MONTHS OLD when I started working for this company..
PreacherCain

Post by PreacherCain »

At least getting old is better than the alternative.

I tend to go to gigs where I feel young - see also: four days earlier in August, at the Cambridge Folk Festival. 8-)
GG.

Post by GG. »

Barry wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:30 am New coder started here earlier this year, turns out he was THREE MONTHS OLD when I started working for this company..
Yep - the fact the current cohort of trainees were only born the year Tony Blair came to power is quite shocking :shock:
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

PreacherCain wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:58 am At least getting old is better than the alternative.

I tend to go to gigs where I feel young - see also: four days earlier in August, at the Cambridge Folk Festival. 8-)
I wouldn’t classify attending BBC Proms at the Royal Albert Hall as a gig ;)
How about not having a sig at all?
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

GG. wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:10 pm
Barry wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:30 am New coder started here earlier this year, turns out he was THREE MONTHS OLD when I started working for this company..
Yep - the fact the current cohort of trainees were only born the year Tony Blair came to power is quite shocking :shock:
I think the weirdest thing for me is at that at the end of this year everyone born during 2000 will be an adult.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

The last “gig” I went to was at the Albert Hall... Seu Jorge doing Bowie covers (from the life aquatic).

I am SO old.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I went to a gig at the Albert Hall as well: Goldfrapp. The acoustics aren't all that good, it turns out.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I think the last Gig I went to was Neil Diamond... but that was 2005 when I was only 31. I've always been old.

I realised I'm really old in the last 12 months though in that I can't now go through the night without a pi$s if I've been drinking Beer. Wine or shorts, I can just about get away with it but if I've had a few pints, I'll need to get up at 04:30 - guaranteed...
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

I think the last gig I want to was Sasha doing his live "Refracted" show at The Roundhouse earlier this year.

A really good night (mainly because it wasn't a late finish).

But Hove feels like a very long way away when you're in Camden at about midnight...
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

I have a suspicion that the last gig I went to was Take That for the reunion tour. I bought tickets for my wife and two pals as she was getting her tonsils out. Her mates then bailed so I sold one and went with her.

Highlight was Gary Barlow saying "Wow, great to see you all, what have you been doing since we split" and i said in what I thought was a quiet voice "comfort eating" as there were a lot of 30 something chubbies. Turns out my voice is quite loud when Gary waits for an answer between songs! :oops:

Although I was probably about 30 at the time I did think it was too loud and would have preferred to have had ear defenders on.

Before that was Oasis with The Doves and Happy Mondays supporting. I got asked for drugs many times at that gig.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

dinny_g wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:51 pm I've been drinking Beer. Wine or shorts
You drink weird things.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Drinking RichB shortz :shock:
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

I went to a folk festival at the start of August and the main act had an average age of about 35, which is about the average number of years the audience had been retired for. I felt like I was still in nappies by comparison.

I also don't like most of the people at folk festivals, they're a roaming bunch of unshowered hippies that the 1960's forgot about.
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace