“I can see from your Out of Office that you’re on holiday, but...”

Broccers

Re: “I can see from your Out of Office that you’re on holiday, but...”

Post by Broccers »

Orange Cola wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:12 pm
PreacherCain wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:36 pm
Broccers wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:23 am Can't have that a vital job then. 👍
Evidently not as vital as yours, you cretin.
No one is indispensable in a company. The higher you are the more quickly and easily replaced folk get.
:lol: you lot are too easy to wind up.

Hope you all have a lovely bank holiday off !!
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Broccers wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:17 pm
Orange Cola wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:12 pm
PreacherCain wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:36 pm

Evidently not as vital as yours, you cretin.
No one is indispensable in a company. The higher you are the more quickly and easily replaced folk get.
:lol: you lot are too easy to wind up.

Hope you all have a lovely bank holiday off !!
I will, because I won't be checking my emails. The work phone goes off when I get home and it only goes back on when I'm next in the office. I like to have a team that can cope whilst I'm out so I don't have to worry 8-)

I also have a fucking cold, so considering working this weekend anyway and claiming it back when I'm not ill :lol:
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

First time I switched off email on my phone in over 10 years was my honeymoon. Things went fine, but it was only 2 weeks and took a month to get back to the normal level of work inflow.

I quite like my work and avoid getting stressed about it. 10-15 mins a day (not per hour!) of checking emails while away is well worth it for the easy continuity when you’re back.
John

Post by John »

My wife works for a bank and she has to have a two week block of leave in which she is unable to contact work or check emails.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Jobbo wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:02 pm

I quite like my work and avoid getting stressed about it. 10-15 mins a day (not per hour!) of checking emails while away is well worth it for the easy continuity when you’re back.
Finally some sanity! Sounds like most people really hate their jobs.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

JLv3.0 wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:50 am

I don’t hate my job, but sometimes I just need a break from being responsible for 100+ people and keeping the only source of revenue for a £500m company working. I don’t think it’s a lot to ask to have 5 working days away from it all.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

NotoriousREV wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:32 am

I don’t hate my job, but sometimes I just need a break from being responsible for 100+ people and keeping the only source of revenue for a £500m company working. I don’t think it’s a lot to ask to have 5 working days away from it all.
Rev loves his job. He certainly loves telling us all how important he is every day!
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

When I was working for a start up, I checked in for an hour every day. I loved my work and it was something I did because I wanted to and that my MD didn't want me to be doing.

Now, I'm contracting, I've not even got an email app on my phone. I've parked all my projects and I've effectively vanished for a couple of weeks.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

My management belief / goal is to make my team so good that I am no longer required. The day I can wonder round doing nothing is the day I have truly succeeded.

At the end of the day, it's about making money for the company. Short term having a brilliant team will get the project delivered, long term I aim to make the team high achievers who will go on to deliver more projects across the board and thus deliver more profits for the business. Be better than me even.

I don't look at work stuff while I'm away. I trust my team, and in many ways, if they make a fuck up in 90% of cases it will be of more value from a learning perspective than the actual cost of the fuck up.* I expect them to relish the opportunity and strive to prove they could do my job better than me. If you want to be a leader, taking a fuck up on the chin is part of the job as well.

People like to build themselves into a place where they are indispensable. I understand it, but I don't believe it's the best approach if you are truly looking after the needs of your employer.

Sorry for the waffle, I am hungover and struggling to articulate.:lol:

* - My second in command has my personal number if there's something that only I know that will bring things grinding to a halt. But I will rarely be contacted.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Rich B wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:39 am
NotoriousREV wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:32 am

Rev loves his job. He certainly loves telling us all how important he is every day!
Oh do fuck off, you prick.

Anyone who puts others down for success, or thinks its in bad taste to talk about being successful is a small-minded no-mark.

Yep, I’m successful, I’m good at what I do and I’m happy to talk about it. If you don’t like it, tough fucking shit.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

:D 70% of the time it works every time.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

duncs500 wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:13 am :D 70% of the time it works every time.
Way more than 70% 😂
Middle-aged Dirtbag
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

lolz #triggered
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Middle-aged Dirtbag
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

240PP wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:21 amlolz #triggered
Easier than I thought too!
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Rev really took the bait with that one :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
Barry

Post by Barry »

In my job its a sliding scale, during normal working when I leave the office I'm cutting off all contact until I return, during crunch periods (which aren't anything like what they used to be) I'm expected to pop in at weekends and ensure the team covering have the work allocated accurately, fend off anything blocking other teams etc, and I'm effectively on call at weekends during submission periods - ergo if they call me in I am expected to do what I can to accommodate that issue.

Due to being new to this management game I've not felt like I could take a long break this summer (and my intended break was pp'd anyway for other reasons) but the upside is that this project hit all its deadlines, had its full bug fixing period and we've just submitted EARLY on two platforms - unheard off in this company. So I feel the extra efforts this year has been justified. This should reflect well come bonus time too..

I don't check emails when I'm out the office, I trust my right hand man/the staff covering to catch most issues without me - surely that's half the battle with management, ideally it runs on it's own without the need for constant interference from us?
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

Rich B wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:30 am
240PP wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:21 amlolz #triggered
Easier than I thought too!
You should be made Global Head of Triggering of a forum of 100+ people with a target of 1100m pa (net) triggering instances.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I’m the same, I’ve been on holiday this week and if I hadn’t spent 10-15 minutes in the morning going through my emails I would’ve been coming back to a couple of hundred unread messages and some jobs that wouldn’t have got done on time.

It definitely helps with the sense of aimless anxiety I get when I try and ignore work for more than a couple of days :lol:.
An absolute unit
Richard

Post by Richard »

I don’t check anything whilst on holiday, when I get back I Delete All

Delightful