Getting upset that cars actually cost money to keep on the road

Orange Cola

Getting upset that cars actually cost money to keep on the road

Post by Orange Cola »

Who'da thunk it?

To;dr: 13 year old car requires some minor work to keep it going, adding to an exceptionally short list of mechanical failures in its entire life span. I need to dry em.

The longer version: the 13 year old 4x4 that gets used for all the dirty work and off road rough stuff, occasional wading through water, the odd (several) rally, all the abuse on the salty winter roads, has costed me a set of pads and discs, two new brake calipers and the annual service and MoT. It also got undersealed. I think I've become complacent with just how little work the car has required, the only show stoping mechanical failures over the years until now have been a battery and a seized brake calliper oh and an O2 sensor in the exhaust. In thirteen years and 75,000 miles. Yet I'm sat here having a bit of a whinge thinking of selling it when quite frankly it's literally dug me out of many many holes before.

I need to get over myself.

Anyone else had a reliable car that's eventually cost money for a relatively minor issue and you've had to remind yourself that actually it's not all that bad?
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
Nathan

Re: Getting upset that cars actually cost money to keep on the road

Post by Nathan »

90k miles hypermiling =

Clutch at 180k = £150 parts / £150 labour
1 x front lower wishbone £60 + £20 fitting
rear calliper 2nd hand = £20
fuel temp sensor = £9
2 x front pads = £40
1 x front discs = £36
1 x rear pads & discs £40
1 x rear handbrake shoes £10
1 x front lower wishbone £60 + £20 fitting
1 x thermostat £40
1 x Coolant £10
1 x Waterpump £32
1 x Aux Belt £11
1 x Belt tensioner £31

All parts fitted DIY unless listed

Tyres typically last 30k miles, if not for punctures
Last edited by Nathan on Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

#NOLO

No, I'm not going to get bored of this so get used to it :D

Back on topic - no, I don't begrudge running costs. I chose the car so I have to put up with what it costs, which is normally analagous to the initial sale price of the car when new, so shouldn't be a surprise.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Me to my father last week - “bit annoyed that the gearbox service on the 6 was a waste of money, didn’t seem to work”
Him - “Bit annoyed I lost 65 grand on it”
Me - “but”

...”shut up”

I just want some sympathy.
How about not having a sig at all?
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Mito Man wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:41 am Him - “Bit annoyed I lost 65 grand on it”
I'm sorry, what?
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

DeskJockey wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:25 pm
Mito Man wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:41 am Him - “Bit annoyed I lost 65 grand on it”
I'm sorry, what?
Bought by his pater for 65 grand, given to him by his mother iirc
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Gavin wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:38 pm
DeskJockey wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:25 pm
I'm sorry, what?
Bought by his pater for 65 grand, given to him by his mother iirc
Ah. That sort of loss.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Mito Man wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:41 am Me to my father last week - “bit annoyed that the gearbox service on the 6 was a waste of money, didn’t seem to work”
Me - “but”

...”shut up”

did he think that if he left it in shit condition in a garage for years that it would magically go up in value?
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Something you hear a lot from non car people. Their zafira shits a turbo after 6 years and 80,000 miles so they spend £800 getting it fixed then sell it and spend £20k on something new because the old one cost a lot to run.
Cheers, Harry
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Rich B wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:56 pm
Mito Man wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:41 am Me to my father last week - “bit annoyed that the gearbox service on the 6 was a waste of money, didn’t seem to work”
Me - “but”

...”shut up”

did he think that if he left it in shit condition in a garage for years that it would magically go up in value?
He should have done that with the e28 M5 which he was about to scrap due to rusty sills but then went out for one last joyride in it and bent it into a barrier :lol:
Marv

Post by Marv »

integrale_evo wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:55 pm Something you hear a lot from non car people. Their zafira shits a turbo after 6 years and 80,000 miles so they spend £800 getting it fixed then sell it and spend £20k on something new because the old one cost a lot to run.
Yep, that's a pretty classic one!
Oui, je suis un motard.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

According to the dealer my Defender was sold because a bit of insulation came off the bonnet which caused a coolant hose to rub against the sharp edge and split, which stranded the owner. She had the car recovered back to said dealer and bought a new Evoque. Seems a bit extreme!
Simon

Post by Simon »

Marv wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:08 pm
integrale_evo wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:55 pm Something you hear a lot from non car people. Their zafira shits a turbo after 6 years and 80,000 miles so they spend £800 getting it fixed then sell it and spend £20k on something new because the old one cost a lot to run.
Yep, that's a pretty classic one!
Having just spent a decent amount of money and time fixing my car and getting it through the MOT (Reminder - no advisories!) I'm inclined to keep it for a few months to get the value of that expenditure back again.

The thing is, my Dad did that many years ago with a car and got into a cycle of fix, keep, break, fix, keep, break. You need to really get 'some' value out of the money spent and then sell it whilst it still has a long MOT and is running well. Else if it breaks again you either sell it for not-a-lot or spend money fixing it again. Both those cases are 'loses' too.
Last edited by Simon on Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

I just spent £840 on links, nuts, bolts, bushes and arms for the 500e. I still need subframe and brake parts, it’s quite exciting knowing in a week I’ll have lots of lovely bits.

Then I fitted new brembo discs and pads to the back of the ML today, feels nice with freshly greased and fitted brakes.

It must be horrible being a non car person and only seeing the negative side of car expenditure.

Dave!
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

I spunked 2k on a suspension refresh in Jan and then the water pump went in Feb/mar setting me back another 600 or so. Meh. So be it. It's cost me fook all to run in the last 6yrs and 60k
GG.

Post by GG. »

I don't have the figures (and don't want to add it up :shock: ) but so far this year:

- air oil separator replacement;
- clutch;
- moisture barrier in drivers door;
- oil change;
- air filter change;
- drivers side window regulator;
- seat backs sprayed;
- wheels refurbed; and
- centre silencer bypass on order.

Then a scheduled minor service in November plus the slightly frightening prospect of getting 9e to work out why it's 30hp down on power and hopefully rectify it whilst its in for its service.

Can't say I begrudge a penny I've spent on it though.