Compound hangovers

JLv3.0

Compound hangovers

Post by JLv3.0 »

This is not my first post on the subject and won't be the last.

But beyond amphetamine comedowns, is there anything more debilitating than the sense of worthlessness, misery, despair, fear, loneliness and a basic absence of any well-being on any subject than what you get after a good few nights and days on basically emergency-level boozing?

Wednesday consisted of about 8 pints and a 4am finish.
Thursday - about the same but with some added Jagerbombs as well. 4am finish.
Friday - bed all day then out for birthday dinner....................4am finish.
Saturday - and this was the killer as I woke up feeling relatively chipper - midday to midnight.

Having had a two-day compound'er the week before and calmly considering suicide as a result, I thought on Sunday I'd actually escaped it, but come 5pm - BOOM. End. Of. The. Fucking. World.

Didn't sleep more than 10 minutes at a time last night and woke up after each one of those stints of terror bathed in sweat and / or freezing cold. Today has not seen me move any more from bed to sofa. Tonight - fingers crossed.

I'm not going anywhere with this - just whinging. And blah blah self-inflicted, but FFS - does it have to be this bad?
Last edited by JLv3.0 on Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Re: Compound hangovers

Post by Rich B »

Who’s post is it then?
evostick

Post by evostick »

:lol:

Can you not get recuperative medicinal herbal products in the desert or do they chop bits off you for that?
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Rich B wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:22 pm Who’s post is it then?
My missing-word-itis is showing no signs of improvement.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

evostick wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:22 pm :lol:

Can you not get recuperative medicinal herbal products in the desert or do they chop bits off you for that?
Honestly speaking, it's not something they take lightly. Not worth it tbh as I have no Plan B should I irrevocably fuck things up here! If you REALLY want it, those, them, etc - it's all here. But not worth it.
evostick

Post by evostick »

JLv3.0 wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:26 pm
evostick wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:22 pm :lol:

Honestly speaking, it's not something they take lightly. Not worth it tbh as I have no Plan B should I irrevocably fuck things up here! If you REALLY want it, those, them, etc - it's all here. But not worth it.
Just the wank and the bacon sandwich then :cry:
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Ah you are confusing a hangover with a compound hangover. Different world mate.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Funnily enough my brain tumour affected the same part of the brain that alcohol does lovely things to (cerebellum) so I was essentially completely pissed and hungover for a solid month before the diagnosis - only drove my car into a hedge once which luckily left no lasting marks to the car!
Drinking a beer must have been the equivalent of downing a bottle of whiskey or two. Quite a bit of vomiting and no ability to walk :lol:
I think what speaks more is the fact that none of my close friends or family really noticed any changes in me apart from a slightly more staggered walk as I spend most of my time with them either intoxicated or dealing with a hangover anyway - the doctor was not impressed with that fact.
How about not having a sig at all?
evostick

Post by evostick »

JLv3.0 wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:31 pm Ah you are confusing a hangover with a compound hangover. Different world mate.
meh. A hangover is a hangover.

You've just got old and weak.

You'll be ok by Thursday.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

I AM old and weak but have always been utterly shit at hangovers, especially the ones after many days of drinking.

And you're probably not far off. Thursday should see things right at last.
evostick

Post by evostick »

Mito Man wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:33 pm
I think what speaks more is the fact that none of my close friends or family really noticed any changes in me apart from a slightly more staggered walk as I spend most of my time with them either intoxicated or dealing with a hangover anyway - the doctor was not impressed with that fact.
Perhaps they just don't GAS about you.

The doctor doesn't either. He gets paid to pretend too though.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Probably, the bastards just want me to die so they can inherit my incredible car collection. Being wealthy is such a two edged sword :|
How about not having a sig at all?
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

JLv3.0 wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:25 pm
You can’t be that bad buddy, you didn’t even fall into my trap to get you all moody!!!!
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

I am really quite annoyed by the fact that despite all man's achievements, curing a bad hangover still eludes us. We've been drinking for thousands of years FFS, you'd think some bright spark would have sorted it out by now.

Would it change the world a bit too much though? Boozing without consequence could get very expensive quickly!

Having said that, I haven't been getting bad hangovers lately simply because I can't drink that much anymore. I just get tired and full feeling and don't fancy ploughing on.

Come to think of it, having to get on the national rail network helps as they stop running. If you're living in London now with night tubes and uber there is no excuse for not staying out all night.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Rich B wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:00 pm
JLv3.0 wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:25 pm
You can’t be that bad buddy, you didn’t even fall into my trap to get you all moody!!!!
I'm at the end of Day 2 mate, was fighting back tears for most of Day 1. Because no reasons. I need all the friends I can get, even online ones are I'm fairly sure find me intolerable most of the time :lol:
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

duncs500 wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:01 pmWould it change the world a bit too much though? Boozing without consequence could get very expensive quickly!

Having said that, I haven't been getting bad hangovers lately simply because I can't drink that much anymore. I just get tired and full feeling and don't fancy ploughing on.
To answer your very-valid points in turn:

1. I'm as far from a tinfoilhat'er as you could imagine, but it's almost like Someone is forcing the booze companies to not introduce a hangover remedy, as society would fall apart. We'd drink EVERY DAY.

2. The older I get, the more I can drink. And the less able I am to handle the after-effects. That's a nice slice of irony, isn't it.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

I dunno, maybe I've got teh aidz but I just feel like I'm either at work or tired these days. Only way round it would be red bulls, now that stuff gives the worst hangovers. You just feel so dead inside. I wouldn't recommend it to people who suffer from depression already. :)
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

duncs500 wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:11 pmI wouldn't recommend it to people who suffer from depression already. :)
There is no response to that :)

Sadly I've always had a fairly robust tendency to self-destruct and have always had plenty of mates with similar tendencies to make it seem OK :lol:

Ah fuck it. It'll wear off.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

That's the other amazing thing about hangovers, you always tell yourself "I'm going to cut back on the drinking, I can't deal with this". By about mid-week you're already playing out in your mind where the next beers are going to come from.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

The thing is, even a heavy night out is OK with me. You get over it over the next day. But the multiple days of boozing - which I'm pretty good at - they're the killers.