NATO straps

ste

Re: NATO straps

Post by ste »

JIC on this one.

Metal bracelets are less comfortable, (often) don't look as good, are more expensive and get marked with use. Catch one on something and it'll break the spring bar and you'll drop your watch.

Natos are essentially disposable, much more comfortable, don't get scratched, look significanly less 'bling', available in numerous different designs and colours so you can swap them to match the rest of your outfit are really cheap and more robust. I have numerous including a pink one, a powder blue one with white spots, a 'martini' one plus loads of other random coloured and striped ones. I'll fit one as i'm getting dressed and match it to whatever else I'm wearing.

I do like braclets, but only in certain circumstances. But then I don't really like shiny stuff and jewellery. I like leather straps too (aestheticaly, not the animal cruelty angle) but they age and have similar drawbacks to a bracelet in terms of dropping your watch if you catch the band and break a spring bar.

For me, a nato can dress down a watch so it can go under the radar. It's the antithesis of a shiny Beitling 'look at my massive, expensive watch' bracelet. I like eg Grand Seikos for the same reason. Most people would look at a £30k one and think as it's a Seiko it's £100 watch, the same type that would spuff over a quartz Tag.
ste

Post by ste »

Ha, already started on my pre-football beer. That was miles more rambling bollocks than I realised. :lol:
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I also don’t like them. They’re also a great identifier in real life of people who spend time on watch forums.
How about not having a sig at all?
ste

Post by ste »

Are they fuck.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Those of you who catch your watch on everything and break the bars just need to be more careful. I can only assume the watches you have are absolutely covered in scratches and knocks from your constant clumsiness.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Rich B wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:51 pm Those of you who catch your watch on everything and break the bars just need to be more careful. I can only assume the watches you have are absolutely covered in scratches and knocks from your constant clumsiness.
You could always loop the end of the strap over the face to prevent that.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

NotoriousREV wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:15 pm
Rich B wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:51 pm Those of you who catch your watch on everything and break the bars just need to be more careful. I can only assume the watches you have are absolutely covered in scratches and knocks from your constant clumsiness.
You could always loop the end of the strap over the face to prevent that.
Good call, though why even risk an expensive watch on your wrist if you can’t handle daily life without snagging it in everything you walk past - just wear an ugly NATO strap on its own and use your phone to tell the time.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Has anyone added a NATO strap to a phone yet? Phones are far more fragile than Rolexes.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Back to sensible discussion for a second: what is the objection to NATOs? They don’t have to be striped in vivid colours so it can’t be on taste grounds. They reduce the strap to its bare essentials. You could say they’re the Caterham or Elise of the watch strap world.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Jobbo wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:32 pm Back to sensible discussion for a second: what is the objection to NATOs? They don’t have to be striped in vivid colours so it can’t be on taste grounds. They reduce the strap to its bare essentials. You could say they’re the Caterham or Elise of the watch strap world.
Just use a cable tie then, they are lighter and equally as ugly.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Why have an expensive watch with an unnecessarily complicated mechanism then?
ste

Post by ste »

JIC again.

I wear a black NATO 90% of the time. Not a fancy one.

Yes you could have a shitter watch but that’s shitter than an ace watch on a comfortable, functional strap.
ste

Post by ste »

...and it’s not like I’m a clumsy cunt yet I have had a watch drop off a bracelet numerous times. 2 that immediately spring to mind are: middle of dance floor throwing shapes too aggressively and erm... having a ‘disagreement’ with someone, ‘extending my arm towards him’ quickly and my watch continuing along the arc that the rest of my arm abruptly ceased to follow when it met his smiley parts.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

NATO straps, the safest choice for clubbing or getting in fights.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Because military.
How about not having a sig at all?
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

I guess you either get them or you don't. I don't. The end.

Move past it - we're discussing WATCH STRAPS FFS.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:07 am I guess you either get them or you don't. I don't. The end.

Move past it - we're discussing WATCH STRAPS FFS.
Well I for one am looking forward to you starting a more meaningful thread!
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Ah that old standard response - very good 👏. You got me GOOD.

Maybe cufflinks, or shoelaces or something?
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:35 am Ah that old standard response - very good 👏. You got me GOOD.

Maybe cufflinks, or shoelaces or something?
your call! Make it a good’un!
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

I'll get right on it!