Holidaying in the UK v abroad

JLv3.0

Re: Holidaying in the UK v abroad

Post by JLv3.0 »

DeskJockey wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:45 pm
JLv3.0 wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:37 pm Should be spectacular diving - they shared sea space with this chap yesterday, for example:

A motherfucking WHALE.
That's AMAZING. Not jealous at all. Nope! Not one bit. Because I saw whales on my last dive too. And when I say whale I mean some little fish about the size of my index finger.
I have a feeling this might be my last dives if it really is as epic as that. Poking about reefs looking at clown fish is not going to appeal much afterwards!!
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

JLv3.0 wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:57 am
DeskJockey wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:45 pm
JLv3.0 wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:37 pm Should be spectacular diving - they shared sea space with this chap yesterday, for example:

A motherfucking WHALE.
That's AMAZING. Not jealous at all. Nope! Not one bit. Because I saw whales on my last dive too. And when I say whale I mean some little fish about the size of my index finger.
I have a feeling this might be my last dives if it really is as epic as that. Poking about reefs looking at clown fish is not going to appeal much afterwards!!
Certainly ups the ante! Whales and orcas are bucket list type stuff.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I love going away in the UK. Having had 2 weeks in the US for our honeymoon, we’re going to Woolacombe with the kids and each is bringing a friend. Then a week in Salcombe without any kids or animals in Sept.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Rich I'd just like to thank you on behalf of anyone who might have been taking a flight with you for not doing it. Eurgh, kids on planes, worst thing evar. :x
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:46 am I love going away in the UK. Having had 2 weeks in the US for our honeymoon, we’re going to Woolacombe with the kids and each is bringing a friend. Then a week in Salcombe without any kids or animals in Sept.
I like it too but it's expensive.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

DeskJockey wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:28 am

Certainly ups the ante! Whales and orcas are bucket list type stuff.

And more today. OK I'm quite looking forward to this trip now.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:46 am I love going away in the UK. Having had 2 weeks in the US for our honeymoon, we’re going to Woolacombe with the kids and each is bringing a friend. Then a week in Salcombe without any kids or animals in Sept.
Sounds brilliant Jobbo - particularly if the weather holds. I went to North Devon for the first time a few years ago and liked it so much, we went again, later in the summer :lol:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Ibiza for a week half board with the kids at the end of August (they were great on the plane last time we flew with them). Priced it up and it came out similar to a week in Euro Centre Parcs or a week in Butlins or a cottage in the UK. i.e. fecking expensive.
Left over crest; tightens.
dan

Post by dan »

Rich B wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:35 pm

, but we’ll stick to Torquay this year - it’s the English riviera!!!
Rich, go to Cockington, its like the village that time forgot. Really nice for a short visit and they do a lovely cream tea.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Tor ... d-3.525315
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Broccers wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:02 am
I like it too but it's expensive.
It's ridiculously expensive to rent a house in Salcombe during the school holidays, yes - although a similar ballpark to your caravan example, so perhaps not mad after all. But a week later into Sept and it's sensibly priced; well under £500.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

JonMad wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:57 am Ibiza for a week half board with the kids at the end of August (they were great on the plane last time we flew with them). Priced it up and it came out similar to a week in Euro Centre Parcs or a week in Butlins or a cottage in the UK. i.e. fecking expensive.
That's it, meals are a big part.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Centre Parcs is the biggest rip off going. Accommodation worse than Haven Caravans and usually double the price but it's seen as middle class whereas Haven isn't.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
PreacherCain

Post by PreacherCain »

The problem with holidaying in the UK is that the weather is so unpredictable... The last couple of years we have tended to go abroad when the weather here is guaranteed to be shite (February, usually) and stayed in the UK for the summer; we are lucky enough to have a holiday/sunny weekend bolthole down near the coast and it makes sense to try and maximise that benefit.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

We normally take a couple of three or four day breaks locally a year, the joys of living where all the nice wilderness is ;). We're going to go camping and do a bit of the NC500 in a couple of weeks and we went to Arran for a weekend in April.

Going back to Japan in November though so that's obviously the big holiday this year.

The only downside of longer trips for us is finding someone to take the cats. If we're away for a couple of days they're fine, a mate has keys and she comes in to feed them and give them a bit of attention but that's obviously not ideal if we're away for a couple of weeks.
An absolute unit
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

This is the one and only thing that almost stops me from travelling, full stop. I hate leaving the cats behind, despite an army of catsitters (I never say can you feed my cats - they're not plants, they need company). They're always fine but I just hate myself for leaving them behind, especially Phoebe - Kev just buggers off and moves in with god only knows who while I'm gone, so the poor lass is on her lonesome a lot of the time.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Bang cat in cattery and get on with it.

We're lucky that my parents live in the southwest about 15mins walk from a stonking beach. So we usually get a couple of week long breaks down there a year. You just have to live with whatever weather youve got. Never spoils it for us.
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

duncs500 wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:57 am Rich I'd just like to thank you on behalf of anyone who might have been taking a flight with you for not doing it. Eurgh, kids on planes, worst thing evar. :x
Poorly parented children on flights. Toby has been to Hong Kong 3 times with Kathryn and the right selection of movies, snacks, sticker books and not being ignored by the parent are key.

We've got a few days in Totnes then almost immediately off to the Costa del Sol for a week. We get back and then Kathryn is off to Greece for a research and writing trip.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:15 am Bang cat in cattery and get on with it.
Nah - they're happier at home where they can go in and out as they like. It's mainly my issue tbh, get massive anxiety sometimes.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Jimmy Choo wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:29 am
duncs500 wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:57 am Rich I'd just like to thank you on behalf of anyone who might have been taking a flight with you for not doing it. Eurgh, kids on planes, worst thing evar. :x
Poorly parented children on flights. Toby has been to Hong Kong 3 times with Kathryn and the right selection of movies, snacks, sticker books and not being ignored by the parent are key.

We've got a few days in Totnes then almost immediately off to the Costa del Sol for a week. We get back and then Kathryn is off to Greece for a research and writing trip.
Some morons just don't like kids on flights, no matter how well behaved they are. I nearly had a kick off with a bloke that claimed my son was kicking the back of his seat. My son was wearing his seatbelt and his feet didn't reach off the end of the seat cushion so it was physically impossible. Cabin crew ended up moving him because I was getting close to giving him a proper slap. Fuck those people.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Three types of kids on flights:

1. Well-behaved happy kids - no problem.
2. Bratty and / or crying kids being disciplined or consoled by attentive parents - no problem.
3. Bratty and / or crying kids not being disciplined or consoled by CGAF parents - big fucking problem.

I don't mind kids. It's normally the parents who need a kick in the cunt.