Family

NotoriousREV

Re: Family

Post by NotoriousREV »

My favourite bit is that I now realise that Tim is the avocado-eating, non-binary, tolerant libtard of his family.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

:D

Good to see disfunction is everywhere.

Funeral Friday, daughter didn't even go to the wake because it was one of those above. We left before any drunken grabbing altho the sarnies were very enjoyable. I drove.

🌴👍
mik

Post by mik »

NotoriousREV wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:36 pm My favourite bit is that I now realise that Tim is the avocado-eating, non-binary, tolerant libtard of his family.
A scarey thought indeed. :shock:
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

evostick wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:35 pmNow my nephew, aged 24, hasn't really had a very testing existence. He lives in London. He dresses like a sex offender and generally ponces around a lot whilst being sponsored by his wealthy stepfather.
Just to check, the well dressed nephew isn't the son of your fighty brother?
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
evostick

Post by evostick »

unzippy wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:50 am
evostick wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:35 pmNow my nephew, aged 24, hasn't really had a very testing existence. He lives in London. He dresses like a sex offender and generally ponces around a lot whilst being sponsored by his wealthy stepfather.
Just to check, the well dressed nephew isn't the son of your fighty brother?
:shock:

This actually explains a lot.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

My aunt left her successful husband and daughter to secretly marry a bum who does fuck all apart from claim benefits and drive for Uber when he needs a bit of extra money. Yesterday the family realised through my clumsy grandparents who were also keeping this a secret that she also has 2 kids with him now.

The shit show that went down is quite impressive with another aunt fainting :lol:

The only problem is that my deranged aunt and her evil husband have convinced my aging, stupid grandparents to sell their house and give them the money. They won’t have enough to even rent a place with their measly pension and I can see all this crap falling on my mum’s shoulders in the future... My parents spent 3 days discussing how stupid this idea is with them but they seem unchanged in their opinion. Fucking idiots.
How about not having a sig at all?
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I never see most of my family and I'm ok with it.

My dad's a lying cheating arsehole and I'm never going to see him again. The rest of my family left my sister and I to fend for ourselves after our mum died and I just stayed away. A couple of years ago one of my aunts got a bit drunk at a family dinner and started passively aggressively needling about how they never see me, my response was that they all have my phone number and know where I live. That apparently wasn't the response she was looking for and it ended up in a big argument.

I still see my sister and her family a lot and I try and visit my grandad whenever I'm home but I only see the rest if there's a big family thing which is fine with me. There's no animosity on my part, just a lack of common interest at this point.
An absolute unit
Simon

Post by Simon »

I feel pretty blessed compared to you lot.

Still have both may parents (in their 70's). Still married and celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary next month. No living grand parents to speak of though. One uncle, but no cousins on that side. One brother who I work with and live around the corner from. We get on well, and he has a good marriage and a couple of kids.

That's the sum total of my family! Mum has some cousins with some kids (so they're my second cousins) but we've not got anything to do with them. Christmas's are cheap, anyway!
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

My family are really normal and we speak to each other. My Mum is hard work though.

Thanks to Facebook and adoption files in the last three months I have found and contacted both side of my biological family and they all seem kind, loving and normal. Turns out I am half Scot and half Yorkshire though which explains why every penny is a prisoner! :)

I am going down to Hull for a family do on the paternal side in a fortnight, I am not expecting a rumble or knifing but you never know...... :shock:
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

My side is normal and brilliant. Everyone gets on well and we all see each other regularly. Extended families (after both my parents both remarrying) included.

Then there’s the wife’s family....

I’ve met my wife’s dad once and her mum a few times (over 10-15 years ago). Very sad, but her mum is totally toxic and her dad is useless. I struggled with the concept for ages, but her life is far better without them. Neither her mum or dad know where we live or even that we are married and have a kid.
Richard

Post by Richard »

NotoriousREV wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:32 pm My wife and her brother are currently arguing because she tried to help him book a holiday and he’s booked his return flights to Glasgow instead of Manchester (because they were the cheapest) and they’re blaming each other. The train tickets cost more than the return flights and it takes 4 hours. He’s 46 years old and still can’t adult.
Genuine question - is he, ummmmmm, ‘all there’?
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

He just operates in a different way to the rest of the world. It all makes sense to him. He just can’t plan ahead, everything is just about the next thing to do, with no reference beyond that. On the flip side, nothing phases him. Stuck at Glasgow airport at 4am? It’s just not an issue.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
GG.

Post by GG. »

Rich B wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:24 am My side is normal and brilliant. Everyone gets on well and we all see each other regularly. Extended families (after both my parents both remarrying) included.

Then there’s the wife’s family....

I’ve met my wife’s dad once and her mum a few times (over 10-15 years ago). Very sad, but her mum is totally toxic and her dad is useless. I struggled with the concept for ages, but her life is far better without them. Neither her mum or dad know where we live or even that we are married and have a kid.
One step removed for us but a similar situation with my grandmother, aunty and cousins on my dad's side. A long story (via various legal wranglings connected with a family business) that isn't worth going into here but none of them were invited to our wedding or have met our son who is now coming up to 2 and a half.
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

Gavin wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:15 am I am going down to Hull for a family do on the paternal side in a fortnight, I am not expecting a rumble or knifing but you never know...... :shock:
This place was excellent - https://www.facebook.com/atombarhull/
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

My family on my dads side are so fucked up that there was a TV program about it.
The FT" wrote:
Television is a relationship as well as a one-way projection: it can, in its nervy and ceaseless search for an audience, often seem jaded and fevered, like one whose affection you no longer wish but who is desperate to keep hold of yours. Yet when television breaks through, to narrate something of heartfelt value, for me no other medium can match it for emotional power. It is as if it speaks to you.

It happened this past week, in We Are Family (BBC2 Friday), the first programme of a four-part series. It was advertised as another species of the reality family, something along the lines of Who Do You Think You Are?, the genealogy series that takes celebrities in search of their roots. In the main, though, taking celebrities to do anything of this sort on television is to expose that least attractive side of them: their inability to stop asking for your affection (securing it is the great celebrity trick) when given the task of “acting natural”.

This programme was the polar opposite. It took some obscure folk, unknown beyond their localities, and showed, in a one-hour, carefully planned exposure of a selection of their family dramas, the life games they play with each other and with themselves. Where too much of reality television puts inflated egos in empty spaces and pumps them up further to see who explodes first, this was a project of some seriousness and delicacy. We Are Family showed three tenses of learning: having learnt, learning, and about to learn. Learn what? Ways of living decently, against the odds.

Mary Campbell, a young Ulsterwoman, came to Gloucestershire during the second world war and found work as a maid. She also found a GI, with whom she had two children, Beryl and Denis, before he left for Omaha Beach. A few years later, she had two more children (Noel and one other, who did not wish to appear in the programme) from another relationship. Neither knows who fathered them.

Finally, she was lucky (1950s tongues must have clacked); she met Harry Minchew, a generous and easy man, with whom she had four children – Stewart, David and two more who also chose not to appear – and who insisted that they should adopt her previous two offspring. Although Mary, who is still alive albeit very ill, was absent from this revelatory piece, she was everywhere present in it.

Thus, gathered by the programme for a weekend in a plush house, five middle-aged men and one woman, who shared a mother and had three fathers, set about sorting out the feuds and silences that had built up like plaque upon their unscrubbed lives. Beryl, the first born, and her full brother Denis were adopted by her mother’s employers and knew Mary as “the maid”. When she left, they stayed – to be suddenly abandoned, reduced to sleeping in lavatories, then taken into a care home for six years, until the age of maturity.

These were, said Beryl, happy days – and not of the Beckett sort, but really happy, with an affectionate matron, her brother and friends. Later in life, learning her parentage, she acknowledged Mary as her mother and even had a happy meeting in the US with her GI Joe father.

“I never blamed my mother for my childhood,” Beryl told us. In saying this, she revealed herself as someone strengthened by her vicissitudes, someone who would not succumb to self-pity. You wished she could be given her own show (but then, alas, she would become a celebrity).

Stewart and David, the two “real” Minchews and thus the youngest there, had their brotherhood weakened by suspicions, slights and pride – and by an incident in their childhood when Stewart, the elder, had accidentally put David’s eye out in a shooting accident. Stewart had, he said, been recently diagnosed with cancer; the heavier moral cancer he carried was his guilt, whenever he saw (and he had come to prefer not to see) his one-eyed brother. Their reconciliation was, to be sure, staged: how could it be other, since they were wired for sound and stood still for the camera. But it seemed no more phoney than breathing.

Noel, from the second, mysterious father, was a self-conscious black sheep. When starting a trucking business, he had ruined his stepfather, Harry Minchew, who had guaranteed a £2,000 loan he could not repay. Stewart had hated Noel for this, the others in varying degrees disapproved, and when Stewart had it out with him, Noel, after a bit of “I was a victim too” (no Beryl he) recognised, perhaps sincerely, his trespass.

Renouncing any claim to his mother’s estate, he made a flourish of a speech at the final dinner – “I go away from here with brothers and a sister – not half anything!” – catching a mood that had been earned, an insight into the futility of feuding when forgiveness was possible.

Earned, perhaps, too easily. On the last shot, of the column of modest cars winding down the grand drive, you were reminded that this was, after all, a show, and the bilious grudges and moral evasions that had preceded it waited at the end of the drive and might seize the Minchews again. But they, men and women who had worked with their hands and on their feet most of their lives, had shown to themselves and to us a common realisation of civility and charity, deep and moving, which might endure.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Reading back through this thread I wonder if starting it was a good idea or not, whether people posting have found it cathartic or a painful reminder.
evostick

Post by evostick »

nuttinnew wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:38 pm Reading back through this thread I wonder if starting it was a good idea or not, whether people posting have found it cathartic or a painful reminder.
lol.

Much like family, it is what it is.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

I'm really lucky. All my immediate family are spot on and my in laws are great. I love a family get together!
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

evostick wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:27 pm
nuttinnew wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:38 pm Reading back through this thread I wonder if starting it was a good idea or not, whether people posting have found it cathartic or a painful reminder.
lol.

lol? Meh!
evostick

Post by evostick »

nuttinnew wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:07 am
evostick wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:27 pm
lol.

lol? Meh!
Meh indeed!

I'm not big on therapy as it appears to promote self-obsession however if you have thoughts which are actually painful then talking about it a bit more is probably a very good idea.