What.Three.Words

Simon

Re: What.Three.Words

Post by Simon »

Tell me Simon, why is this in the 'moaning' forum? Surely it's just like anything else? If you don't like it, don't use it? ;) :)

No-one's compelling you to use it are they? :p
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

I downloaded the app about a month or two ago, checked what my house was to see if it was funny, then deleted the app and have forgotten the codes.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Jobbo wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:19 pm QR code
Don't get me started on that bullshit.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
GG.

Post by GG. »

I'm disappointed that no-one has yet noted it should be "Which.Three.Words". I thought the internet was invented for this kind of pendantry :(
Maurice

Post by Maurice »

GG. wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:58 pm I'm disappointed that no-one has yet noted it should be "Which.Three.Words". I thought the internet was invented for this kind of pendantry :(
Pedantry.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Maurice wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:12 pm
GG. wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:58 pm I'm disappointed that no-one has yet noted it should be "Which.Three.Words". I thought the internet was invented for this kind of pendantry :(
Pedantry.
I was obviously just checking ;) Well done, Mudge you've restored my faith :lol:
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Simon wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:25 pm Tell me Simon, why is this in the 'moaning' forum? Surely it's just like anything else? If you don't like it, don't use it? ;) :)

It’s in this forum because I’m moaning.

Merc have a stake in it. The proprietary nature of it is bad. This has potential for being the new Videoplus codes. It’s ridiculous.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Jobbo wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:48 pm
Simon wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:25 pm Tell me Simon, why is this in the 'moaning' forum? Surely it's just like anything else? If you don't like it, don't use it? ;) :)

Merc have a stake in it. The proprietary nature of it is bad. This has potential for being the new Videoplus codes. It’s ridiculous.
I bet they said the same thing when postal codes were introduced...

Why do you remember your postcode at all? Because the letters and numbers 'mean something', or simply because you've had to use them a few times when you moved house and had to tell people you had done so...
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Simon wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:49 pm
Jobbo wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:48 pm

I bet they said the same thing when postal codes were introduced...

Why do you remember your postcode at all? Because the letters and numbers 'mean something', or simply because you've had to use them a few times when you moved house and had to tell people you had done so...
and yet I can look at a postcode and tell you the rough area without checking an app. I could even look at several and group them into areas quickly.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Amazingly, postcodes do have logic to them. Crazy idea.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Mito Man wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:05 pm It sounds like not much time at all. Simple algorithm to divide the world into 1 metre squares and then associate 3 random words with each square.
Three 1m x 1m squares with a word for each? How do they decide what orientation the squares are in?

Or is it 3sqm (1.73 m x 1.73m) or 3m x 3m (9sqm)?

None of you have been clear about this point, and it's all I really care about. I refuse to research it myself. ;)

It sounds like something someone came up with while drunk or stoned. It's a bit like deciding that round wheels aren't interesting anymore and coming up with square ones which you then expect everyone to adopt.
mik

Post by mik »

I just checked their main site address.

cock.socket.company
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

I can see some merit in the idea, but not as it is currently implemented.

Needs a rethink to make it sensible.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Alex, I see they offer Danish as a language for the 3 words. So as a test, where does ///busser.reoler.oplæser take you?
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

They’ve started answering me directly on the Facebook page now. I don’t think they realise was being sarcastic with my last reply 😂
Middle-aged Dirtbag
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Jobbo wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:49 am Alex, I see they offer Danish as a language for the 3 words. So as a test, where does ///busser.reoler.oplæser take you?
That'll be off the B4217 in Moseley in Birmingham - is that the address of the curry house we went to?

One of the changes I could think of to make it more sensible is some kind of structure, e.g. some kind of connection between neighbouring squares. But, the negatives still outweigh the positives in my opinion, especially when you look at the language barrier. Great that you can use (assuming your language is on the list) your native tongue, less great that you need a translator app to know the English version which differs from the German, etc.

I suspect it will soon be overtaken by improved voice recognition/AI that will understand something like "uhm, can you set the sat nav to get me to that place with the divine squid dish, right by the lake that we went to last year"
---
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Just seen that someone has pitched to the business that we should use this for our global addresses. It may be adopted :shock:
---
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

DeskJockey wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:26 am Just seen that someone has pitched to the business that we should use this for our global addresses. It may be adopted :shock:
How much will the licence fee be for using it?
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Jobbo wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:23 pm
DeskJockey wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:26 am Just seen that someone has pitched to the business that we should use this for our global addresses. It may be adopted :shock:
How much will the licence fee be for using it?
Not a clue. Hopefully excessive so it fails.
---
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

What issues does the business have that pitcher thinks this will address?
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division