Pilchards

speedingfine

Re: Pilchards

Post by speedingfine »

Can't think of any foods that properly repel me, but sparkling water is absolutely hideous and I spit it out pronto if I've accidentally bought sparkling instead of still :lol:

(Requote at will chaps)
Marv

Post by Marv »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:15 am What a bunch of fvcking oddballs. You sound like the kind of people that go abroad and have to seek out the place that does traditional roast dinners and fried breakfasts.

There's very little real food that I dislike or that i wont try.
This is a forum full of Brits!

One of the aspects of travel I love is trying different foods.
Oui, je suis un motard.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

My favourite part about living in London is the wide variety of world class food, but despite that it’s amazing how many people you meet who seem to have the same boring repetitive meals week in week out. Usually these are the same sort of people who claim they’re not picky eaters and moan about there not being enough varied restaurants.

It’s not so bad in the countryside either, I enjoy seafood and when out in the sticks it’s what I prefer to get as the quality is better than in London. You can get seafood from the fishing boat to your plate in most Kentish coastal towns within hours and the good places are better than poncy 5* hotels.
How about not having a sig at all?
Simon

Post by Simon »

Sitting in our hotel room at Menorca right now and we've learnt 2 things.

1) Make all future holidays (or at least those in Europe) just 5 days or we get bored
2) Never get All inclusive, or half board ever again. Even by the best efforts of the hotels, the food they serve is usually trying to be 'British' or just plain dull. O/H is really struggling with no decent rice dishes etc, and even I'm bored of roast 'whatever' with some chips or potatoes.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
ste

Post by ste »

Sounds like hell, but surely you knew that before you booked it? :?
Simon

Post by Simon »

Booked it 3 days before we flew out here. Very last minute. Just needed a break!
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

NotoriousREV wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:31 am
Swervin_Mervin wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:15 am What a bunch of fvcking oddballs. You sound like the kind of people that go abroad and have to seek out the place that does traditional roast dinners and fried breakfasts.

There's very little real food that I dislike or that i wont try.

Tea, Budweiser, Carling, fruit "cider", anything banana unless it's just an actual raw banana, and anything with artificial sweeteners in
How does not liking certain things equate to "only enjoys traditional meals"? I'll try anything once. If I don't like it, I won't eat it; if I do, I will. I'm not unadventurous, I just don't force myself to eat stuff I don't like.
I'm yanking your chain ;)
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

speedingfine wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:52 pm Can't think of any foods that properly repel me, but sparkling water is absolutely hideous and I spit it out pronto if I've accidentally bought sparkling instead of still :lol:

(Requote at will chaps)
What's wrong with sparkling water? It is just bubbly water! I love it. Having almost completely cut out sugary drinks years ago it has become my "treat" for when we're out instead of a coke or similar (although I will sometimes give in and have a pint of orange lemonade).
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
GG.

Post by GG. »

DeskJockey wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:49 pm
speedingfine wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:52 pm Can't think of any foods that properly repel me, but sparkling water is absolutely hideous and I spit it out pronto if I've accidentally bought sparkling instead of still :lol:

(Requote at will chaps)
What's wrong with sparkling water? It is just bubbly water! I love it. Having almost completely cut out sugary drinks years ago it has become my "treat" for when we're out instead of a coke or similar (although I will sometimes give in and have a pint of orange lemonade).
My only problem is with cheap sparkling water - the supermarket own brand stuff with the subtlety of a CO2 based stripping agent.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

GG. wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:30 pm
DeskJockey wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:49 pm

(Requote at will chaps)
My only problem is with cheap sparkling water - the supermarket own brand stuff with the subtlety of a CO2 based stripping agent.
Has to be balanced obviously.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Simon wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:20 pm Sitting in our hotel room at Menorca right now and we've learnt 2 things.

1) Make all future holidays (or at least those in Europe) just 5 days or we get bored
2) Never get All inclusive, or half board ever again. Even by the best efforts of the hotels, the food they serve is usually trying to be 'British' or just plain dull. O/H is really struggling with no decent rice dishes etc, and even I'm bored of roast 'whatever' with some chips or potatoes.
I don’t know how you can be bored on holiday unless all you do is lie by the pool or on the beach, eating and drinking.

I’d never go all inclusive, going out and about and eating in a different restaurant every night is the name of the game, surely?
Middle-aged Dirtbag
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

It is.

And don't call him surely.
Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

GG. wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:54 pm Nothing can come close to century eggs can it? Fermented rotten egg that stinks of ammonia:

Love fermented eggs in congee.
M235i
Simon

Post by Simon »

NotoriousREV wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:19 pm
Simon wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:20 pm Sitting in our hotel room at Menorca right now and we've learnt 2 things.

I don’t know how you can be bored on holiday unless all you do is lie by the pool or on the beach, eating and drinking.

I’d never go all inclusive, going out and about and eating in a different restaurant every night is the name of the game, surely?
You're right, but Menorca doesn't have so much to do apart from beaches. We did spent some time looking around Mahon, and also some time in a water park. If you're doing a city break then there'd be more to do and less to be bored at.

Yes, lesson learnt on the food!
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

NotoriousREV wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:19 pm

This!

When we go away we want to eat local food and enjoy different experiences from the local culture. I don't want to be in a resort restaurant eating their food.

On my food dislike list are cucumber, celery, cauliflower, courgette, tapioca, semolina, Budweiser, any mainstream UK made larger (utter filth), Southern beer, tofu, tripe, sushi (raw fish), white wine & jellyfish.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

I used to avoid cucumber like the plague due to crippling indigestion until I discovered you're meant to peel it...
GG.

Post by GG. »

You're not 'meant' to peel cucumber. I didn't know that was a thing. Googling it it looks like some people (like you) that have issues digesting peel perhaps do peel them, but generally there's no need.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

I thought it was just me! Cucumber gives me crazy heartburn - can eat the hottest curries and chillies going, but cucumber, which is mainly water FFS, kills me :lol:
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

They sell a special variety of cucumber for weird people like you called “burpless” where you can eat them with the skin. Only problem is they look like Beany’s rotting knob after a night out in Scarborough.
How about not having a sig at all?
mik

Post by mik »

I hate cucumber.

I also hate raw tomato and raw peppers, but live both cooked.