Plastidip morons

Simon

Plastidip morons

Post by Simon »

Just passed a Mk1 B-class that looked like the entire car had been dipped in the stuff. Only part of the windscreen hadn't been touched. But the back lights were black, even the front lights too.

Surely there are regs for this? The rear lights must also be reflectors right? They can't be if they're painted black..
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Mito Man

Re: Plastidip morons

Post by Mito Man »

It’s clearly a MOT fail and the Police can pull them over quoting the relevant bit of the RTA they love so much.

Speaking of plastidip the prices are a joke now, I went to order a gallon last night and it’s now £120 a gallon for a custom colour - it has almost doubled in price... although I still have no choice as I’ve been quoted about £400 to wrap the roof of my car with a high quality wrap which will still only last 5 years. People who wrap their car must just enjoy throwing money away!
How about not having a sig at all?
ste

Post by ste »

I've never even nearly understood the point of plastidip.
simon_g

Post by simon_g »

I understand for small bits - can spray in situ without masking and easily peel away the excess. But a whole car? Nope.
scotta

Post by scotta »

Ive seen racecars done in it. Reason being it’s easier to repair scratches and damage.

Looks shit though.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I reckon between choice of wrapping an entire car or using plastidip I’d still prefer to dip unless you want a colour which is only available in a wrap. At least when you’re tired of it you can just peel it off rather than having to get every bit of exterior trim disassembled and having score marks in the paint.
How about not having a sig at all?
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

I thought about using it on the wheels of my track bike as they look terrible at the moment but decided that after plastidipping them they'd probably still look terrible.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
mik

Post by mik »

These sprayed lights allow you to identify idiots.

I thought the substance was very different from Plastidip though non? :?
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Plastidip has been a cheap and cheerful way of waterproofing electronics in RC cars for years. I thought it was only good for that kind of thing.
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Always fancied giving it a go as a lot less effort than a full proper respray or wrap.

Most seem to look pretty crap and lumpy up close though, although you can get gloss top coats which at least give the impression of a shine from a distance.
Cheers, Harry
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

I think Dan plastidipped one of his Elises once? AFAIK it was decent enough for a short term colour change. Looked OK in the pictures
dan

Post by dan »

Matty wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:10 pm I think Dan plastidipped one of his Elises once? AFAIK it was decent enough for a short term colour change. Looked OK in the pictures
Yep, I did it because I didn't like silver elises, although i've changed my mind on that since. It was great for 150 quid, looked good and gave me the colour change I wanted for 2 years until I got it painted white.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Don't get me wrong - I've no issue with those who use Plastidip (the title is, perhaps, a little misleading). My problem was with those people who is it _everywhere_ including lights and windows.
The artist formerly known as _Who_