Idiots that don’t understand GDPR

Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Re: Idiots that don’t understand GDPR

Post by Jobbo »

They were created by the Data Protection Act 1998 and are unchanged by the GDPR; there are some minor variations in the way they must be handled since the introduction of GDPR.

Hence this tactic has been fairly well known and used for aeons. Disgruntled employees have been advised to use an SAR to find out what their employer holds on them as a matter of course; and for an SAR against the FSA see for instance this 2003 case: http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWCA/Civ/2003/1746.html
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

OK. None of that contradicts anything I’ve said.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Annnnnd we're off!! 😂
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Yessssssssss!
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Bloody took long enough! Page 2!
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

The Data Protection Act 1998 has been superseded and is therefore irrelevant.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Just to explain this staggeringly simple concept to my learned friend:

- Yes, people have had the right to a Subject Access Request for a long time

- Yes, we’ve dealt with SARs pre-GDPR

- The right to a SAR has changed: the definition of Personal Data has been expanded, the response time has been shortened, the maximum fines for non-compliance are higher, and companies are no longer allowed to charge for them.

- The publicity surrounding GDPR has driven a huge surge in general data protection requests and queries into us (which imo is a good thing, generally) from a couple a month to over a hundred since GDPR went live.

- The Data Protection Act 1998 has been superseded by The Data Protection Act 2018, which is the U.K. implementation of GDPR.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

What utter nonsense :lol:

🍿
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

JLv3.0 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:06 pm What utter nonsense :lol:

🍿
Don’t be ridiculous, popcorn has been around since 3600BC.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

Our local council created a leaflet about GDPR but with very little details about it.

When our local CCN Chair queried it with a friend who had something to do with the legislation it turned out non profit organisations were exempt.

On further investigation it turned out the council hadn't actually registered. It appears to be an utter clustercuddle
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Gavin wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:21 pm Our local council created a leaflet about GDPR but with very little details about it.

When our local CCN Chair queried it with a friend who had something to do with the legislation it turned out non profit organisations were exempt.

On further investigation it turned out the council hadn't actually registered. It appears to be an utter clustercuddle
I’m pretty sure that GDPR applies to charities and non-profit organisations. I’d recommend getting further guidance on that, if you’re collecting personal data.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

NotoriousREV wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:26 pm
Gavin wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:21 pm Our local council created a leaflet about GDPR but with very little details about it.

I’m pretty sure that GDPR applies to charities and non-profit organisations. I’d recommend getting further guidance on that, if you’re collecting personal data.
I came away from the meeting no more sure than when I went in, the chair is a lawyer and judge and so was his pal and they also seemed entirely unsure as to whether we needed (as Community Councils) to be registered or not! It beggars belief although compared to Brexit........ :shock:
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

https://www.accdocket.com/articles/nonp ... rofits.cfm

Proof, were it even required, that not everyone is granted access to Google.

(not aimed at you Dave, easy tiger)
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

NotoriousREV wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:04 pm - Yes, we’ve dealt with SARs pre-GDPR
So you accept they weren't introduced by the GDPR. How many posts did it take to get to this point? :lol:

Thank you for running down the same info I posted in bullet point form, too.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Jobbo wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:45 pm
NotoriousREV wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:04 pm - Yes, we’ve dealt with SARs pre-GDPR
So you accept they weren't introduced by the GDPR. How many posts did it take to get to this point? :lol:

Thank you for running down the same info I posted in bullet point form, too.
Where did I say they were?
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

NotoriousREV wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:37 pm People are just using it as a way to be a cunt when the complaint they’ve made to customer services isn’t going their way. Tripped over a “Caution - Wet Floor” cone whilst pissed, and broken your leg? Why not stick in a Subject Access Request when you get told you’re a clumsy twat?
By 'it' did you mean something other than GDPR? You know, the topic of this thread which you started? :lol:
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Jobbo wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:58 pm
NotoriousREV wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:37 pm People are just using it as a way to be a cunt when the complaint they’ve made to customer services isn’t going their way. Tripped over a “Caution - Wet Floor” cone whilst pissed, and broken your leg? Why not stick in a Subject Access Request when you get told you’re a clumsy twat?
By 'it' did you mean something other than GDPR? You know, the topic of this thread which you started? :lol:
People are exercising their current rights under GDPR. Have you banged your head, or something?

Once again: point out exactly where I said these rights were introduced by GDPR.

I know I’m an argumentative twat, but even I don’t argue with someone over something they didn’t say.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

This is like one of those vids on Youtube where a 20' Anaconda takes on a Panther in a fight to the death... :lol:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

dinny_g wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:08 pm This is like one of those vids on Youtube where a 20' Anaconda takes on a Panther in a fight to the death... :lol:
Who is which animal? Think carefully.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

NotoriousREV wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:10 pm
dinny_g wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:08 pm This is like one of those vids on Youtube where a 20' Anaconda takes on a Panther in a fight to the death... :lol:
Who is which animal? Think carefully.