Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Ticketed by a PCSO

Post by Gavster »

What a pointless way for them to spend their time 🙄

Broccers

Re: Ticketed by a PCSO

Post by Broccers »

I dont know if I'm reading this right - the ticket is for going through a red light (or something) on bike?
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

Yeah, was on a cycle super highway and went through a pelican when it was empty, pointless rule for cyclists IMO, we should be allowed more freedom to progress on red as long as we give way to pedestrians.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Gavster wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:24 am Yeah, was on a cycle super highway and went through a pelican when it was empty, pointless rule for cyclists IMO, we should be allowed more freedom to progress on red as long as we give way to pedestrians.
Ok so going through red lights is alright if noone is there? I have to be honest I wouldn't dream of doing this in a car or on my motorbike. :)
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

For cyclists only. Like we already do at give way junctions, if it’s clear, then you can proceed. Everyone seems to understand how they work just fine.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Not sure you'll get much support for running red lights!

How did they catch you? Surely they were on foot and you were going bike speed?

Nice handwriting though!
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

The problem this causes is dickheads thinking its the same with all red lights. I was nearly taken out by a tour de france wannabe doing 40mph through a crossing when I stepped into the road.

Cyclists seem to want it all :)
tim

Post by tim »

I want to see a tiktok of you crying fully clothed in the bath about this. :D
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

Rich B wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:36 am Not sure you'll get much support for running red lights!

Nice handwriting though!
They stepped out and blocked the cycle path, it was a hot day and I was on my way to a party so probably doing about 10mph to avoid arriving drenched in sweat. I’m always friendly and respectful to police and was obviously bang to rights, however, you’re right I could easily have carried on. As she was taking my details I was thinking “why tf did I even stop…” 😏
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

Broccers wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:38 am
Cyclists seem to want it all :)
Of course we do 😆 why not?
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

tim wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:48 am I want to see a tiktok of you crying fully clothed in the bath about this. :D
That might actually work 🤔 😄
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

tim wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:48 am I want to see a tiktok of you crying fully clothed in the bath about this. :D
:?
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Gavster wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:51 am she
?/?/?
tim

Post by tim »

nuttinnew wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:58 am
You need to be following Gav on tiktok to get that reference. And you should.
MikeHunt

Post by MikeHunt »

I hope you gave her my name and address :lol:
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

tim wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:59 am
nuttinnew wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:58 am
You need to be following Gav on tiktok to get that reference. And you should.
I'm not on there, might have to sign up just for that/him.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Oh, and TTWBBSTJVT.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Gavster wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:51 am
Rich B wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:36 am Not sure you'll get much support for running red lights!

Nice handwriting though!
They stepped out and blocked the cycle path, it was a hot day and I was on my way to a party so probably doing about 10mph to avoid arriving drenched in sweat. I’m always friendly and respectful to police and was obviously bang to rights, however, you’re right I could easily have carried on. As she was taking my details I was thinking “why tf did I even stop…” 😏
so you ran a red light with a PCSO stood basically in front of you?! 😂 if they saw you, you really should have seen them!
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

There's sadly been a few high-profile cases recently of cyclists jumping red lights, colliding with a pedestrian and the pedestrian dying. Do that in a car and you can get 14 years for dangerous driving. The same law doesn't apply to cyclists and the archaic "wanton or furious" offence* that can be applied instead only has a max 2 year sentence.

There's going to be a bit of a crack-down and why shouldn't there be ? In the early days of cycling cyclists fought extremely hard for bicycles to be recognised as vehicles (rather than some kind of novelty / toy) and to be allowed on the road. That brings a responsibility to observe the rules.

It's a lovely idea that cyclists could be allowed to ignore the rules if they feel like it but it relies on "people" applying common sense and courtesy when around other people. If "people" could be trusted to do that we wouldn't need the rules in the first place (not just on the road, I mean in life in general).

Offences against the Person Act 1861
Drivers of carriages injuring persons by furious driving.
Whosoever, having the charge of any carriage or vehicle, shall by wanton or furious driving or racing, or other wilful misconduct, or by wilful neglect, do or cause to be done any bodily harm to any person whatsoever, shall be guilty of a misdemeanor, and being convicted thereof shall be liable, at the discretion of the court, to be imprisoned for any term not exceeding two years,
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

Rich B wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:11 am
Gavster wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:51 am

Nice handwriting though!
so you ran a red light with a PCSO stood basically in front of you?! 😂 if they saw you, you really should have seen them!
Yeah, probably 👍