Hayfever

Zonda_

Re: Hayfever

Post by Zonda_ »

integrale_evo wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:25 pm Last few days have been shite. Double dosing both cetirizine and Loratadine and still have a nose that sore, itchy, blocked, crusty and runny all at the same time, and waking up several times in the night with a mouth as dry as the Sahara.

Seems to come and go in waves, but definitely been a bad year for it for me.
Exactly the same here but it’s Ben constant for weeks. Got some of that Allevia from the chemist so will give that a go, if it makes even the slightest difference I’ll go to the doctors and get the stronger does.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

What side effects are people getting from their medication?
(I'd've started a thread after @Broccers' "drunkeness" comment elsewhere but this one beat me to it).
I don't know about anywhere else but here the pollen count/forecast has been VH for the past umpteen weeks, affecting (some) people that are normally fine (I can't deny a bit o' Schadenfreude in some instances).
integrale_evo wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:25 pm ...have a nose that sore, itchy, blocked, crusty and runny all at the same time, and waking up several times in the night with a mouth as dry as the Sahara.
That's muchly :twisted:, having to use energy to try and breathe while getting deprived of sleep :evil: So far this year I haven't had much of that (I think it's more September time I get like that), the sore, itchy, blocked, crusty and runny all at the same time bits have been my eyes.
Barry

Post by Barry »

I'm mostly getting itchy eyes, runny nose and sneezing, and generally tired, recent weeks have been the worst for a long time.

Found some Allevia in the supermarket yesterday so I'll give that a try.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

nuttinnew wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:39 pm What side effects are people getting from their medication?
(I'd've started a thread after @Broccers' "drunkeness" comment elsewhere but this one beat me to it).
I don't know about anywhere else but here the pollen count/forecast has been VH for the past umpteen weeks, affecting (some) people that are normally fine (I can't deny a bit o' Schadenfreude in some instances).
integrale_evo wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:25 pm ...have a nose that sore, itchy, blocked, crusty and runny all at the same time, and waking up several times in the night with a mouth as dry as the Sahara.
That's muchly :twisted:, having to use energy to try and breathe while getting deprived of sleep :evil: So far this year I haven't had much of that (I think it's more September time I get like that), the sore, itchy, blocked, crusty and runny all at the same time bits have been my eyes.
Never had any side effects, it just doesn't work!
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Rich B wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:40 pm
I had hay fever for years then kind of grew out of it. I've not had it for the last 5-10 years at all then it's come back a little this year. Not too bad
Pretty much identical to me Rich
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Took Allevia this morning and the difference is noticeable, eyes are not itchy, haven't sneezed once, nose is still sore inside but I guess that'll take a few days to subside. I'll make an appointment and see about getting them on prescription.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Good stuff.

I havent had a drink since taking these as even on their own they dont exactly make you alert. I've a bike day around donington tomorrow and its looking likely to rain needing full concentration - I dont think I'll be taking them until after as could do without falling off.
simon_g

Post by simon_g »

Benadryl for me the last several years, loratdine and the like stopped having any effect. Still needing two a day at the moment.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Fexofenadine is the big stuff. Prescription dose is 180 so if 120 isn’t doing the business then you could try chopping a pill in two and taking one and a half.

Drowsiness and also dizziness are the side effects is the only problem.

There is definitely some new horrendous antigen around as some friends seem terrifyingly hayfeverish.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Explosive Newt wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:45 am Fexofenadine is the big stuff. Prescription dose is 180 so if 120 isn’t doing the business then you could try chopping a pill in two and taking one and a half.

Drowsiness and also dizziness are the side effects is the only problem.

There is definitely some new horrendous antigen around as some friends seem terrifyingly hayfeverish.
Think I'll still try and get the doctor to prescribe it as it's going to work out pretty expensive as you only get 7 tablets in a box over the counter. I used to like Triludan (not sure if that's how it was spelt) that stuff worked but it got banned for some reason!
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

It has a specific side effect on the heart rhythm called QT prolongation, which can cause the heart to go into fibrillation and you drop down dead. The problem is you don’t know your QT is prolonged as it doesn’t have any symptoms!
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

I'll stick with the 120mg dose, it doesn't seem to give any noticeable side effects and is effective enough to mean that symptoms are minimal. I guess that 120mg is the sweet spot for most then.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Explosive Newt wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:58 am It has a specific side effect on the heart rhythm called QT prolongation, which can cause the heart to go into fibrillation and you drop down dead. The problem is you don’t know your QT is prolonged as it doesn’t have any symptoms!
:shock:

Thank fuck I grew out of my hayfever, although I never had it too bad. Had it a bit this year although mainly when gardening, so have popped the odd Piriton - the ones I have are out of date which gives some idea of how often they get used.

I've barely suffered with it since holidaying in Austria when I was, I think, 17. We'd read that it was good to take holidays in countries with quite different flora and as my sis used to get it pretry bad we thought we'd try that out. Neither of us had any bother while we were there and neither of us has had it bad since. 8-) Maybe there was some truth in it - I'm not convinced.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Meh, fucknoodles :evil:
We've had high pollen here all week except drizzly yesterday and it's forecast to be very high on Sunday. I've been taking cetirizine for at least the last two weeks, had the window closed for the past week, but something nearby is getting to me.
Barry

Post by Barry »

I've seen the warnings about the levels being high but so far been ok. I've been taking cetirizine for the past week too.
simon_g

Post by simon_g »

Bloody awful for me now. Allevia twice a day keeps it under control.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

I started taking 120mg fexofenidine about 3 weeks ago and have been fine. I thought it was starting yesterday but it appears that I now have a head old 🙁
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

I think I might be allergic to our new house
Simon

Post by Simon »

A guy I used to work with had his whole house interior painted. A few weeks later him and his wife came out in massive rashes. ICI (?) wanted to take away the paint tins for testing in case there was actually something wrong with them. Don't think they ever got to the bottom of it.
The artist formerly known as _Who_