Hayfever

Zonda_

Hayfever

Post by Zonda_ »

I'm suffering particularly badly this year, the usual Loratadine and Cetirizine are having no effect a all. Anyone have anything else that works?
DeskJockey

Re: Hayfever

Post by DeskJockey »

Nope, but you're not the first I've heard say that this year is bad. Does it help knowing that you're not the only one suffering?

Or, get a full gimp suit with a HEPA filter mask.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Brannen

Post by Brannen »

I've found it pretty bad this year as well. I don't think the one a day is enough, they seem to work for about half a day at best. I've tried taking both variants of tablets this year and still getting fucked over by hayfever. It's really annoying.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

I've seen there is an injection you can get but as it is steroid based and weakens the immune system for a time it's probably not wise to have in the current situation.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Use a nasal spray and eye drops in conjunction with antihistamine of choice. It makes a massive difference.

I use a generic Beconase (beclometasone) spray and sodium cromoglicate drops.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Yeah, after several years with little or now symptoms, I'm pretty bad this year too - thankfully Piriteze is dealing with it.

Mini Dinny is having a really bad summer with it.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

I'm on prescription tabs and they are pretty strong. Work tho when nothing else did.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Broccers wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:58 pm I'm on prescription tabs and they are pretty strong. Work tho when nothing else did.
What are they?
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

I was getting about 6 hours effectiveness out of loratadine or certirizine so emailed the GP to ask if I could take a second when the first wore off. They told me to try Fexofenadine (Allevia) which is now available over the counter (but a lot more expensive), they do work a lot longer and are a bit more effective for me.
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

Zonda_ wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:19 am I'm suffering particularly badly this year, the usual Loratadine and Cetirizine are having no effect a all. Anyone have anything else that works?
I quickly scanned your post and my brain saw "Laudanum and Cetirizine" which seemed like a rather decadent way to deal with hayfever :lol:
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Zonda_ wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:59 pm
Broccers wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:58 pm I'm on prescription tabs and they are pretty strong. Work tho when nothing else did.
What are they?
180 mg https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/product/3488/pil
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Broccers wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:10 pm
Zonda_ wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:59 pm
What are they?
180 mg https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/product/3488/pil
Same active ingredient as mine, but I see they are 180mg, over the counter is 120mg. I wonder if the extra 60mg might fully banish my symptoms.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

drcarlos wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:34 pm I was getting about 6 hours effectiveness out of loratadine or certirizine so emailed the GP to ask if I could take a second when the first wore off. They told me to try Fexofenadine (Allevia) which is now available over the counter (but a lot more expensive), they do work a lot longer and are a bit more effective for me.
I get these on prescription with a nasal spray and eye drops. The tablets need a while to build up in your system by all accounts (from my GP) so I start taking them in mid March. I've been fine until 4-5 days ago but am ok again today.
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

McSwede wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:21 pm
drcarlos wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:34 pm I was getting about 6 hours effectiveness out of loratadine or certirizine so emailed the GP to ask if I could take a second when the first wore off. They told me to try Fexofenadine (Allevia) which is now available over the counter (but a lot more expensive), they do work a lot longer and are a bit more effective for me.
I get these on prescription with a nasal spray and eye drops. The tablets need a while to build up in your system by all accounts (from my GP) so I start taking them in mid March. I've been fine until 4-5 days ago but am ok again today.
I take Pirinase too (since about April) as that takes time to become effective being steroidal, hopefully Allevia will also be the same.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Do you guys have air filtration in your homes when it’s bad ?

We have a destinkificator for the dogs but you need to close all the windows etc.

Dave!
Barry

Post by Barry »

Google algorithm has suggested we try the latest miracle cure, now available at good pharmacies - Allevia or Treathay brands. which allegedly work better than Cetirizine/Loratadine.

edit: Fexofenadine HydroChloride is the active ingredient (120mg)

I've yet to find any on shelves so can't comment on its effectiveness yet.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Last few days have been shite. Double dosing both cetirizine and Loratadine and still have a nose that sore, itchy, blocked, crusty and runny all at the same time, and waking up several times in the night with a mouth as dry as the Sahara.

Seems to come and go in waves, but definitely been a bad year for it for me.
Cheers, Harry
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

integrale_evo wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:25 pm and waking up several times in the night with a mouth as dry as the Sahara.
is that part of hay fever??! 😳

I had hay fever for years then kind of grew out of it. I've not had it for the last 5-10 years at all then it's come back a little this year. Not too bad and a nose sprayer and a loratadine sorted it, but I still have an issue waking up with a really dry throat/mouth. I didn't think that it could be linked....
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I presume from sleeping with my mouth open because I can’t breath :lol:

Never used to suffer when young, it’s getting worse as I get older.
Cheers, Harry
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

integrale_evo wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:46 pm I presume from sleeping with my mouth open because I can’t breath :lol:
makes sense...

Crap bloody evolution making us not suited to living near plants... 😅