Glasto

Broccers

Glasto

Post by Broccers »

Is it me or was it utter toiler this year? Comes to something when you end up watching Noel and the Pet Shop Boys as the rest of the offering from the bbc iplayer wtf? was so shite.

Or did I miss the good bits?
drcarlos

Re: Glasto

Post by drcarlos »

Was out at the local music festival on Saturday and missed Macca (and all of the Saturday lineup for that matter), but I heard he was poor, we put on Diana Ross last night hoping for a decent show and turned it off almost straight away as she was so tuneless. Sadly I think that age has caught these two legends up now.
I don't get the big deal over Billie Eilish, I try, but 10 minutes and that went off too.
Not interested in Kendrick Lamar so only watched about 10mins but was laughing at the field of 50k white people screaming the N word at the top on their voices with what would seem like total impunity :lol:
We did watch Crowded house, Years and Years, Griff and Sigrid and thought they were all pretty decent. I'd probably watch the PSB's too as I always liked their stuff in the 80s/90s.
If I'd have gone I'd probably have spent a lot of time in the Rave tent.
It's always a punt getting tickets as it's so trendy to go now that it's always sold out before any acts are announced, a large proportion of attendees are probably just pretentious bellends who just want to say they go there even if they hate the music.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Enjoyed Macca, Noel and the Pet Shop Boys but what was going on with them? Ive seen them a few times and they've never had drumming accompaniment, I know Neil Tennant alluded to some technical issues at the start but what was with Chris Lowe? He's not the most animated bloke at the best of times but it was like he was sedated, I'm still not entirely convinced it was him!
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

drcarlos wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:00 am Was out at the local music festival on Saturday and missed Macca (and all of the Saturday lineup for that matter), but I heard he was poor, we put on Diana Ross last night hoping for a decent show and turned it off almost straight away as she was so tuneless. Sadly I think that age has caught these two legends up now.
I don't get the big deal over Billie Eilish, I try, but 10 minutes and that went off too.
Not interested in Kendrick Lamar so only watched about 10mins but was laughing at the field of 50k white people screaming the N word at the top on their voices with what would seem like total impunity :lol:
We did watch Crowded house, Years and Years, Griff and Sigrid and thought they were all pretty decent. I'd probably watch the PSB's too as I always liked their stuff in the 80s/90s.
It's always a punt getting tickets as it's so trendy to go now that it's always sold out before any acts are announced, a large proportion of attendees are probably just pretentious bellends who just want to say they go there even if they hate the music.
LOL Same.

Did you see those sad acts from Bradford - something boys? Oh my word :lol: Found it Bad Boy Chiller - jesus christ :shock:

@Zonda_ Neil is 68 next month
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Broccers wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:16 am
drcarlos wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:00 am Was out at the local music festival on Saturday and missed Macca (and all of the Saturday lineup for that matter), but I heard he was poor, we put on Diana Ross last night hoping for a decent show and turned it off almost straight away as she was so tuneless. Sadly I think that age has caught these two legends up now.
LOL Same.

Did you see those sad acts from Bradford - something boys? Oh my word :lol: Found it Bad Boy Chiller - jesus christ :shock:

I was referring to Chris, he didn't seem to react to the crowd at all and for the first 20 minutes his keyboard was on stage but he wasn't!
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

LOL Same.

Bay Boy Chiller - I haven't seen them, just looked them up and they would appear to be a parody of Blackout Crew, a comedy troupe turned musicians, fair play for getting there.

I might have to go back and iplayer Macca (just so I've seen it and I'm not listening to hearsay) and PSB's
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

drcarlos wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:36 am
LOL Same.

Bay Boy Chiller - I haven't seen them, just looked them up and they would appear to be a parody of Blackout Crew, a comedy troupe turned musicians, fair play for getting there.

I might have to go back and iplayer Macca (just so I've seen it and I'm not listening to hearsay) and PSB's
High Flying Birds were very good, I've watched their set twice. Lots of their stuff and Oasis classics. I dunno why people go on about Oasis reforming, Liam is clearly not needed.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Oh you're a Noel loyalist?

Liam was playing at Hampden last night and I was surprised by how many kids were going tbh, would've expected his crowd to mostly be middle aged dudes who complain about Billie Eilish playing Glastonbury :lol:

Sounded good from what I heard from my house.

I've not watched any Glastonbury yet, going to catch up on iPlayer while I'm working this week.
An absolute unit
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

ZedLeg wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:44 am Oh you're a Noel loyalist?

Liam was playing at Hampden last night and I was surprised by how many kids were going tbh, would've expected his crowd to mostly be middle aged dudes who complain about Billie Eilish playing Glastonbury :lol:

Sounded good from what I heard from my house.

I've not watched any Glastonbury yet, going to catch up on iPlayer while I'm working this week.
Not in the slightest, in fact if someone had said he was going to be playing I wouldn't have switched on, I always thought they were both up themselves! I just happened to be browsing and they were on and I found myself enjoying it.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Agreed the coverage was a bit shit - It's probably because I'm an old fart but I prefer Jo Whiley and Lauren Laverne over the "Yoof" presenters. Twat with the red hair needs a shoeing. And where's Mark Radcliffe these days - I did't see him once. :lol:

As for the music, while not my music at all, I thought Billie Eilish and Kendrick Lemar were both very impressive and held the main stage and the however many tens of thousands of fans. McCartney was what it was always going to be - a walk through the hits.

Away from the headliners, agreed Diana Ross was painful to watch at times. I enjoyed Crowded House but the one for me which I wish I could see more of was Bicep - there was a little bit of it after Pet Shop Boys last night. I'll have to see if iPlayer has it available.

As with every year, the other half was giving it the "We must go some year" but erm... no, not a fuckign chance.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

dinny_g wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:50 am Agreed the coverage was a bit shit - It's probably because I'm an old fart but I prefer Jo Whiley and Lauren Laverne over the "Yoof" presenters. Twat with the red hair needs a shoeing. And where's Mark Radcliffe these days - I did't see him once. :lol:

As for the music, while not my music at all, I thought Billie Eilish and Kendrick Lemar were both very impressive and held the main stage and the however many tens of thousands of fans. McCartney was what it was always going to be - a walk through the hits.

Away from the headliners, agreed Diana Ross was painful to watch at times. I enjoyed Crowded House but the one for me which I wish I could see more of was Bicep - there was a little bit of it after Pet Shop Boys last night. I'll have to see if iPlayer has it available.

As with every year, the other half was giving it the "We must go some year" but erm... no, not a fuckign chance.
Radcliffe was doing the BBC Sounds coverage.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I laughed at this

An absolute unit
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

I don't dislike Eilish's music, or her, but the set was dull as fvck. Maybe it just doesn't translate to a festival.

We switched over and watched Little Simz. She was utterly brilliant - one of the best rappers int he workd right now in my highly uneducated opinion.

Then we watched Foals' set, which was also great. Didn't really watch much else as none of it appealed. My lad quite like Olivia Rodriguez - not my thing but she had a bit more life about her than many of the other acts.

Apparently Skunk Anansie were decent but I missed that. Heard Elbow's set on the radio and they sounded as reliably good as ever - not that fussed by their music but they seem like one of those bands that would be great to see live.

By and large it was dull though. Rolling out a load of old has-beens and middle of the road acts. I know it's Glasto so that's par for the course these days, but even by their standards it seemed a bit meh this time.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

That's festivals thought isn't it. A handful of bands you want to see and a load of others you only watch because you're there.

I used to go to T in the Park every year and it was the same way back then.
An absolute unit
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Just stuck Macca on while I'm working and so far it sounds OK, will pop High Flying Birds and PSB's on later.

I did put on Megan Thee Stallion first quickly to see what she was all about (as she'd been featured in some of the dance music collaborations I play), seemed more at home in a seedy strip club than Glastonbury.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

ZedLeg wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:17 am That's festivals thought isn't it. A handful of bands you want to see and a load of others you only watch because you're there.

I used to go to T in the Park every year and it was the same way back then.
I can accept that, but many of them were just bloody boring - no life in them. Like I said, a pop act like Olivia Rodriguez is not my cup of tea at all, but at least she bounced around a bit and looked like she was having a good time. Apparently Youngblud was good as well.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

drcarlos wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:19 am Just stuck Macca on while I'm working and so far it sounds OK, will pop High Flying Birds and PSB's on later.

I did put on Megan Thee Stallion first quickly to see what she was all about (as she'd been featured in some of the dance music collaborations I play), seemed more at home in a seedy strip club than Glastonbury.
I don't think Noel Gallagher, Paul McCartney and Neil Tennant are appropriate headliners for Glasto. All has-beens (sorry in particular to Neil for this but their heyday was the 80s, FFS), two of them are already drawing a pension. Glasto started out as an alternative festival, not a back-slapping establishment event for middle- and old-aged white blokes.

Which is why I thought Megan Thee Stallion's set was amazing. Most of her songs don't appeal to me but she's up and coming, sassy and put on an amazing show. Not sure how well the twerking works when the audience can only see a tiny figure on the stage, but hey.

I always enjoy watching Glasto on the BBC, flicking through the coverage and being very happy I'm not there, out of my cheesebox on cake. This year I've spent more of the weekend watching Goodwood FoS I think. After a few years off, surely Emily Eavis could have managed a better line up?
KevH18

Post by KevH18 »

dinny_g wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:50 am Agreed the coverage was a bit shit - It's probably because I'm an old fart but I prefer Jo Whiley and Lauren Laverne over the "Yoof" presenters. Twat with the red hair needs a shoeing. And where's Mark Radcliffe these days - I did't see him once. :lol:

Watched Bicep for a while last night. Last year's album was great and it was a good show with the lights.

Haven't watched that many but Foals on Friday were excellent. Saw them live two months ago but you can tell they were loving playing to a massive crowd.

Love a lot of Blossoms' songs but they were a little lacking up until the last 3 or 4 songs of their set so disappointed in them.

I was scrolling through a lot of other stuff and wasn't that interested in a lot of it.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Bell with Red hair - shockingly bad presenter. They had the guy in the wheelchair who seemed good but you have to wonder how he got about? And finally the really really loud terrible woman who was pressing fire buttons last night - only thing missing was her being roasted by the flames. :lol:
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Jobbo wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:01 pm
drcarlos wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:19 am Just stuck Macca on while I'm working and so far it sounds OK, will pop High Flying Birds and PSB's on later.

I don't think Noel Gallagher, Paul McCartney and Neil Tennant are appropriate headliners for Glasto. All has-beens (sorry in particular to Neil for this but their heyday was the 80s, FFS), two of them are already drawing a pension. Glasto started out as an alternative festival, not a back-slapping establishment event for middle- and old-aged white blokes.

Which is why I thought Megan Thee Stallion's set was amazing. Most of her songs don't appeal to me but she's up and coming, sassy and put on an amazing show. Not sure how well the twerking works when the audience can only see a tiny figure on the stage, but hey.

I always enjoy watching Glasto on the BBC, flicking through the coverage and being very happy I'm not there, out of my cheesebox on cake. This year I've spent more of the weekend watching Goodwood FoS I think. After a few years off, surely Emily Eavis could have managed a better line up?
My thoughts exactly but far better put.