Onions

Jimmy Choo

Re: Onions

Post by Jimmy Choo »

This is a really simple, colourful, Rick Stein Indian salad that perfectly cuts through fatty Indian dishes such as pork curries.

Ingredients

1 small red onion, thinly sliced
2 tbsp white wine vinegar
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp sugar
300gm pineapple, peeled and cut into 2cm pieces
A few fresh coriander leaves

Method

Toss the onions together with the vinegar, sugar and salt and leave to marinate for an hour.
Strain off any excess liquid, then toss the onions with the pineapple chunks, scatter with coriander and serve.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Jimmy Choo wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:33 pm This is a really simple, colourful, Rick Stein Indian salad that perfectly cuts through fatty Indian dishes such as pork curries.

Ingredients

1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp sugar

Method

Toss the onions together with the vinegar, sugar and salt and leave to marinate for an hour.
Strain off any excess liquid, then toss the onions with the pineapple chunks, scatter with coriander and serve.
Will it impact the recipe if I just add 1 tablespoon of Sugar??
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Bit of a stretch calling diced pineapple and onion a salad :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

dinny_g wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:40 pm
Jimmy Choo wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:33 pm This is a really simple, colourful, Rick Stein Indian salad that perfectly cuts through fatty Indian dishes such as pork curries.

Ingredients

1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp sugar

Method

I was planning to change it and add 4x 1/4 teaspoons. :lol:
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

dinny_g wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:40 pm

Ingredients

1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp sugar

Method

Just a bit, because 1tbsp = 3x 1tsp. :lol:
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Mito Man wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:45 pm Bit of a stretch calling diced pineapple and onion a salad :lol:
I dunno, sounds nice to me...

The Italians call Sliced Tomatoes, Sliced Mozzarella and a few basil leaves a salad (and I fucking love that too - Balsamicalitous!! )
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I had a salad in Australia that was just white onions pickled like that with watermelon. It was ace.
An absolute unit
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Ex used to do a salad of onion and tomato drizzled in olive oil that was lovely the next day once the onions had mellowed.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

Because those simple salads can be so perfect because of the simple combination of ingredients which enmesh perfectly
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Gavster wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:34 pm Because those simple salads can be so perfect because of the simple combination of ingredients which enmesh perfectly
It's the sort of thing that our European brethren are so much better at. That basic understanding of the simplest ingredients and how to get the best out of them. One of hte best salads I've ever had was sat in a slightly non-descript looking eatery/bar overlooking a roundabout in Umag in Istria, Croatia. It was largely just a massive plate of well-seasoned tomatoes and onions, possibly some lettuce. It was stinking hot (high 30s) and, despite the extensive menu and some amazing looking seafood, it was just the perfect lunch. Bit of bread and some white wine. Amazing
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:49 pm
Gavster wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:34 pm Because those simple salads can be so perfect because of the simple combination of ingredients which enmesh perfectly
It's the sort of thing that our European brethren are so much better at. That basic understanding of the simplest ingredients and how to get the best out of them. One of hte best salads I've ever had was sat in a slightly non-descript looking eatery/bar overlooking a roundabout in Umag in Istria, Croatia. It was largely just a massive plate of well-seasoned tomatoes and onions, possibly some lettuce. It was stinking hot (high 30s) and, despite the extensive menu and some amazing looking seafood, it was just the perfect lunch. Bit of bread and some white wine. Amazing
That's the Mediterranean (roughly) holiday curse. Like when you're in France and pick up a bottle of €2 local wine and it is amazing as you sit outside in the warm summer evening. Buy six to take home and as you approach the UK border it magically turns to the worst p*ss you'll ever drink.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away