Post by Gavster »

Can fuck right off

Every last fucking one of them… 😭

Shallots, however
ZedLeg

Re: Onions

Post by ZedLeg »

Onions are good actually

I’ve been making a lot of sauces recently and get an unreasonable amount of joy out of how nicely I can sweat down onions in my expensive le creuset saucepan.
An absolute unit
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

ZedLeg wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:55 am Onions are good actually

I’ve been making a lot of sauces recently and get an unreasonable amount of joy out of how nicely I can sweat down onions in my expensive le creuset saucepan.
I use le creuset a lot and it's ace for sweating onions!
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

Definitely! Treating onions and garlic well in cooking can transform. dish. Most cookbooks don't give them the time or respect they both need. For onions, there has been a long practice of recipe writers downplaying how long they need. It's common to see 'fry for 5 minutes until translucent' when we all know it takes at least twice that long, and the other blatant lie is any recipe which suggests you can caramelise onions in anything under 45 minutes.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

I will add my hat to the pro-onion ring.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

McSwede wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:12 am

Yeah, we have 1 stainless steel one in with our mix of cheap stainless and Lakeland cast iron pots and pans. I really want to get a couple more but every time I look at the price I get all Scottish about it :lol:.
An absolute unit
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Gavster wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:13 am

Definitely! Treating onions and garlic well in cooking can transform. dish. Most cookbooks don't give them the time or respect they both need. For onions, there has been a long practice of recipe writers downplaying how long they need. It's common to see 'fry for 5 minutes until translucent' when we all know it takes at least twice that long, and the other blatant lie is any recipe which suggests you can caramelise onions in anything under 45 minutes.
Aye, the realisation that the italians might be on to something when they take two hours to make a basic tomato sauce was a game changer for me.
An absolute unit
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

ZedLeg wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:17 am

Yeah, we have 1 stainless steel one in with our mix of cheap stainless and Lakeland cast iron pots and pans. I really want to get a couple more but every time I look at the price I get all Scottish about it :lol:.
I've also bought a set of cast iron frying pans from Amazon and they are awesome. The heat retention and even cooking you get from using cast iron pans or pots is unbeatable. Wonderful things to cook with!!
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Never got round to getting a cast iron skillet, I have a griddle but I barely use it now as apparently people in Glasgow never considered that having a window in your kitchen would be useful :lol:.
An absolute unit
Beany

Post by Beany »

Lookee here at the bourgeoisie with their fancy pans!

I'm on the onion side here, they're pretty useful things to have around. I don't use them as much as I should really.

That said, I've not really done much with shallots - I might have to give them a go.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Shallots are just bougie onions hth
An absolute unit
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Onions underpin so many excellent foods, they're great.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Yeah love onions - have to be cooked right though. No a fan of raw onions at all.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

I like raw onions too if they're used right, can add something to salads etc, but you've got to judge it right as they can be too overpowering if you're not careful.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Salt red onions, leave them to sit for about half an hour and drain them. Great for salads, burgers etc.
An absolute unit
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

dinny_g wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:18 am Yeah love onions - have to be cooked right though. No a fan of raw onions at all.
A cheese and onion sandwich is mind blowing. Rarely spotted in the wild, and wholly anti-social, but it's a massive flavour senesation.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Aye, a good strong cheddar with onion is a punch in the face flavour wise. One way ticket to heartburn too :lol:
An absolute unit
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

I thought this was going to be about Newent cancelling their Onion Fayre.

For some curries I grate my onions.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Onions are a yes from me. All good savoury recipes start with onions, and generally more than the cook book says.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Gavster wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:39 am
dinny_g wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:18 am Yeah love onions - have to be cooked right though. No a fan of raw onions at all.
A cheese and onion sandwich is mind blowing. Rarely spotted in the wild, and wholly anti-social, but it's a massive flavour senesation.
Thinly sliced roast beef with thinly sliced onions is also a masterpiece. Need to salt the onions though and strictly only use butter