Selling time vs selling product

Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Selling time vs selling product

Post by Gavster »

Need to find a way out of selling time for a living, whether it's solo as a freelancer or larger scale as a consulting company. Scaling up services like consultancy is so stressful as you simply take on more people whose time you have to sell and more client problems.

I really want to get into selling product (physical or information). Just trying to find a way to do it that aligns with my current work and scales nicely.
Broccers

Re: Selling time vs selling product

Post by Broccers »

Charlie
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Whatever you do you end up selling your time anyway.

In my long experience of selling things to people you don't get an easier time from customers. People are entitled arseholes
An absolute unit
tim

Post by tim »

Self-service products ideally, I'm guessing, rather than a B2C type situation. Selling kids bikes was enourmous fun and pretty profitable, but it was hard work. And customer are cunts. Although I really liked dealing with the cunty ones. :)
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

Broccers wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:40 pmCharlie
Charlie uniform November tango?
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

ZedLeg wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:57 pm Whatever you do you end up selling your time anyway.

In my long experience of selling things to people you don't get an easier time from customers. People are entitled arseholes
They both require time, however the difference is how they scale. Think of the biggest companies in the world, they usually sell products, whether they are physical or digital products, it’s the same thing. They have a product which can be replicated and sold, and scaled easily if successful.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

It's a lot of work to get there though.

I've spent the last 6 years working with an ecommerce company that's grown from a small business to one of the biggest brands in it's market. It's a constant push to keep moving forward.
An absolute unit
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Just buy loads of Bitcoin and wait for years.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

If you sell things rather than your time, you will need to become VAT registered very quickly when you are expecting over £85k of turnover. At a margin of, say, 30% that's when you're only making £25.5k profit. Adds a level of bureaucracy and makes your products 20% more expensive than the small-timers and tax dodgers. Selling stuff means you need to grow quickly to make any money.
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

tim wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:43 pm Self-service products ideally, I'm guessing, rather than a B2C type situation. Selling kids bikes was enourmous fun and pretty profitable, but it was hard work. And customer are cunts. Although I really liked dealing with the cunty ones. :)
Self service digital products would be amazing. However I’m also drawn to physical for some reason. I’ve done about £10k in eBay sales over the last 12 months and really enjoyed it. Customer service is easy too. Even the worst customers have been easy to handle.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Could you design a gizmo of sorts and then contract with a turnkey provider to do the whole thing?

My mate is getting into brewing beer and they're planning on using a brewery that does everything except distribution. They work out a recipe, the brewery add their expertise to help scale it to the agreed size, and then brew, bottle and load onto a lorry.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

Some of this is because more than 2 million people per month see my face on social media, so I might as well have something to offer them, beyond the free information I provide.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Just get those bots that offer sponsored posts in the replies of your original post on board. Job jobbed.
An absolute unit
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

OnlyFans? You are the product ;)
How about not having a sig at all?
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Merch seems to be the way all the Youtubers go - is that viable? Does it actually make them much?
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I’ve only just worked out who you are on TT.

I did wonder why a pretty successful food blogger would start following me, I’ve interacted with a few vids too :lol:
Cheers, Harry
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

You just need to invent a thing, patent it and spin out a company that makes it and sells it.

Easy peasy.
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

So it sounds like you want to separate your time from your money. I know a couple of people who have successfully done it. One set up a luxury French canal barge holiday that costs probably well upwards of $40k per week at the moment.

The other wrote and self published books. They do a bit of marketing for them but it ticks over.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:12 pm Merch seems to be the way all the Youtubers go - is that viable? Does it actually make them much?
If your followers are really invested in you as a brand then it can make a lot, especially people with millions of followers. This doesn't quite seem to translate for someone like me at my level. There are definitely associated food products (either edible or equipment) which I could try and sell, which might be the easiest way to start, because I've got a large targeted audience to market them to.
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

integrale_evo wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:46 pm I’ve only just worked out who you are on TT.

I did wonder why a pretty successful food blogger would start following me, I’ve interacted with a few vids too :lol:
:lol:

You've got a great audience and could probably start selling stuff too. I reckon we're at the level where we could put 'authorised by' products in our tiktok shops and people might go for it.