Cameras on every fkin corner

Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Cameras on every fkin corner

Post by Gavster »

Took a no left turn and my brain only realised halfway through the manoeuvre, so that’s another £60 fine on it’s way. The new thing around here is school streets which are camera monitored, no vehicles for a couple of hours in the morning. Took one a few weeks ago and literally had no idea until the fine arrived.
mik

Re: Cameras on every fkin corner

Post by mik »

I can’t picture in my head why turning left at a junction might be unsafe?
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

I doubt safety has anything to do with it, it’s a t junction controlled by lights and the no left turn is most likely to control traffic flow in the area, because they want you to go via another route.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

I'd like for our school street to have cameras. Road is closed during drop-off and pickup times, but the only enforcement (apart from the very prominent signs) is a barrier makes by a member of school staff or a parent. The amount of bellends that want to bully their past, drive over the green or show up 10 minutes early so they can park, then drive down the road is astonishing. All to save walking 150m tops. Cameras and some nice fines should help. Obviously doesn't cure selfish stupidity, but if it reduces the problem, then I'm all for it.

Either that or the police on-site every day for a couple of weeks. That should also deal with all the numpties that can't figure out to turn their engines off.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Not a lot of sympathy, if you're not paying attention to road signs then you're not paying enough attention.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

There’s a chap on PH who got a ticket for continuing to drive down a road in Fulham because half way down, you now have to turn down a side street unless you’re a resident. Here’s a Streetview: https://goo.gl/maps/ZyVif2TLrbVyvkyX6

I used to use that all the time - as a cut-through to get to Wandsworth Bridge, which is presumably why it’s been changed like this. But it’s fucking stupid on a wide road like that to change it part way down and fine people. I’d not even heard of these rules anyway; I’m well aware of low traffic neighbourhoods but they’re enforced by putting physical obstructions in the road. So I’m very sympathetic now.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

It's frightening the way things are going. Especially in the name cutting emissions - your journey is longer and therefore you create pollution somewhere else - it is barmaaaay I tell theee.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Jobbo wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:27 pm There’s a chap on PH who got a ticket for continuing to drive down a road in Fulham because half way down, you now have to turn down a side street unless you’re a resident. Here’s a Streetview: https://goo.gl/maps/ZyVif2TLrbVyvkyX6

I used to use that all the time - as a cut-through to get to Wandsworth Bridge, which is presumably why it’s been changed like this. But it’s fucking stupid on a wide road like that to change it part way down and fine people. I’d not even heard of these rules anyway; I’m well aware of low traffic neighbourhoods but they’re enforced by putting physical obstructions in the road. So I’m very sympathetic now.
I made a thread about this when it was first implemented as I live on that road. Rather hilariously they sent a follow up letter last year saying how much traffic and therefore emissions had been cut but acknowledged that there was a slight chance that Covid may have skewed the figures :roll:

I’ve only got my Mito registered in London as my other cars spend most of the year parked up at my parents place so whenever I drive to my own flat in any other car I have to take a ridiculous diversion. We’re not even allowed to give out guest permits as said ridiculous diversion is sufficient apparently.

Anyway Imperial road and all the side streets are much more quiet now. You just can’t get in or out as King’s Road is even more blocked up :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

It's a paradigm change in the way that fines are allocated that requires a modified way of thinking about driving in urban areas. We spent years with physical restrictions being the way that road closures were enforced. Now the barriers are invisible. New signs do appear, however, it's very common to not notice them on usual routes. We've all driven home and then realised we don't remember much of the journey.

I guess it's a reason to drive even more slowly, because the new signs do include a lot information that you're required to process in a couple of seconds whilst performing a manouvre off a busy road. However you look at it, to fully process this sign you would need to stop in the middle of the junction for a few seconds and check your calender :lol:

Jimexpl

Post by Jimexpl »

Gavster wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:11 am It's a paradigm change in the way that fines are allocated that requires a modified way of thinking about driving in urban areas. We spent years with physical restrictions being the way that road closures were enforced. Now the barriers are invisible. New signs do appear, however, it's very common to not notice them on usual routes. We've all driven home and then realised we don't remember much of the journey.

I guess it's a reason to drive even more slowly, because the new signs do include a lot information that you're required to process in a couple of seconds whilst performing a manouvre off a busy road. However you look at it, to fully process this sign you would need to stop in the middle of the junction for a few seconds and check your calender :lol:

London is now horrendous for this. It's particularly tough in areas that you don't continuously use as the changes are continuously being implemented all over. One by me is now no entry for cars (bikes can still use it), but you can't see the no entry sign until you turn into it.

I'm running a project in Hans Place at the moment, and the street that I've turned down for twenty years now can't be used -
Mon-Thus 8-9am
Mon-Thurs 4-6pm
Friday 8-9am
Friday 12-15-1.15pm
Except Permit Holders SS8

Try and compute all of that on only one sign which you see while making the turn with traffic infront and behind you, at which point you can't back out and you are directly inline with the camera...
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Rich B wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:38 am Not a lot of sympathy, if you're not paying attention to road signs then you're not paying enough attention.
I don't exactly agree with this...

I got hit with a fine for driving in in a lane for Buses - not a bus lane - It wasn't marked out or signified in any way on the road surface as a Bus Lane but during a defined period, the left hand lane was for buses only. At all other times, it was just "a lane". As I was turning left ahead, I was in this lane.

This was in Manchester city centre - the first time I've ever driven in Manchester city centre. The particular section of road has an enormous number of signs, of various sizes, priorities, colours as well as trams and pedestrians and, of course Cyclists to avoid. The road sign for the bus lane was the smallest.

I had Zero chance of noticing it. I would argue that in that particular urban area, if you're paying enough attention to ALL possible road signs, then you're not paying enough attention to other road users.

I'll dig out the fine note and see if I can get a screen shot from Street View - it's crazy.

I bloody hate driving in cities...
Last edited by dinny_g on Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Jimexpl wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:53 am
Gavster wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:11 am It's a paradigm change in the way that fines are allocated that requires a modified way of thinking about driving in urban areas. We spent years with physical restrictions being the way that road closures were enforced. Now the barriers are invisible. New signs do appear, however, it's very common to not notice them on usual routes. We've all driven home and then realised we don't remember much of the journey.

London is now horrendous for this. It's particularly tough in areas that you don't continuously use as the changes are continuously being implemented all over. One by me is now no entry for cars (bikes can still use it), but you can't see the no entry sign until you turn into it.

I'm running a project in Hans Place at the moment, and the street that I've turned down for twenty years now can't be used -
Mon-Thus 8-9am
Mon-Thurs 4-6pm
Friday 8-9am
Friday 12-15-1.15pm

Try and compute all of that on only one sign which you see while making the turn with traffic infront and behind you, at which point you can't back out and you are directly inline with the camera...
Have you noticed they randomly block off the end of Sloane street (pretty much the junction from Hans Place to Harvey Nichols). It’s just a pair of random temporary signs they place on the road with ‘no access apart from busses and taxis’ and then some enforcement camera.

The crazy thing is that it’s not even a minor road ffs. You’re then forced into the side streets which have even more enforcement.
How about not having a sig at all?
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

I was on a road I drive semi regularly the other day, it's always queues when I drive it, and they'd completely changed the lane arrangement since my last use. This was only signified by line markings which you don't get to see until you're on them in heavy traffic. Basically resulted in me sat in a new hatched zone. No ticket so far thankfully!
Jimexpl

Post by Jimexpl »

Mito Man wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:32 pm

Mon-Thus 8-9am
Mon-Thurs 4-6pm
Friday 8-9am
Friday 12-15-1.15pm

Have you noticed they randomly block off the end of Sloane street (pretty much the junction from Hans Place to Harvey Nichols). It’s just a pair of random temporary signs they place on the road with ‘no access apart from busses and taxis’ and then some enforcement camera.

The crazy thing is that it’s not even a minor road ffs. You’re then forced into the side streets which have even more enforcement.
Yes, but I haven't bothered checking if it's a test before implmenting a permanent change.
I've got multiple sites that we're working on in Mayfair and Belgravia at the moment and would happily walk between each of them if it wasn't for the need to drop off or collect something from site.
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

Mon-Thus 8-9am
Mon-Thurs 4-6pm
Friday 8-9am
Friday 12-15-1.15pm

Those restrictions are nuts! Driving in London requires you to be so fcking hyper-aware of every car, pedestrian, traffic light, cyclist and scooter that it's no surprise we sometimes miss these the details of these signs...
Jimexpl

Post by Jimexpl »

Gavster wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:28 pm

Mon-Thus 8-9am
Mon-Thurs 4-6pm
Friday 8-9am
Friday 12-15-1.15pm

Those restrictions are nuts! Driving in London requires you to be so fcking hyper-aware of every car, pedestrian, traffic light, cyclist and scooter that it's no surprise we sometimes miss these the details of these signs...
I'd be happy to leave my car at home rather than drive through the city, but I need it at least twice a week to take stuff to sites, and it's currently the best way to get my kids to school. Whenever they (hopefully) join up the millions of cyle lanes ot the point that my wife would be happy with me riding the kids to school on a cargo bike, the car would only be used for weekends and going out of town.