Interest rates

Broccers

Interest rates

Post by Broccers »

Still too low ;)

What would you say they'll be in the UK end of next year - 3.5 percent?

Folks moaning about these tiddly rises have no clue. People I know actually shared tin baths and only bathed twice a week. Those folk can tell you about hardships. My and following generations have been spoiled for many years. Maybe learning to cook and being frugal might be long term benefits.

The US may be worse off than us tho

https://www.zerohedge.com/economics/eng ... ppens-next
Carlos

Re: Interest rates

Post by Carlos »

I've read lots of institutions expecting 2% by the end of this year.

If that doesn't cool inflation I'd expect a similar pattern next year.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I sometimes wonder wtf the government want. People save money and they bitch and moan, and then people spend too much and they bitch and moan :lol:

Regardless of interest rates they’re all waiting for the inevitable recession to hit and Sunak is practically gagging for it, everyone buying a caravan and new house wasn’t going to be sustainable for more than a few years.
Just better hope that it’s a worldwide recession as that’s the only way prices will fall across the board.
How about not having a sig at all?
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

End of my mortgage fixed deal is January, so that'll be a nice increase in my planned mortgage payments :roll:

6 months earlier and I'd have been much better off.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

There were people actually saying if they rise any more they'd be bankrupt. Also noone warned them so how were they to know? :lol: :lol:

It's fairly inevitable when something is more or less zero it's only going one way in the future.

Just how much tho who knows but realistically they should be about 4 to 5 percent right now.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Matty wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:52 am End of my mortgage fixed deal is January, so that'll be a nice increase in my planned mortgage payments :roll:

6 months earlier and I'd have been much better off.
Some lenders offer a new incentive up to 6 months before your existing deal ends. It's usually 3 or 4 months before but worth asking.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Yeah, we secured our remortgage deal ages ago (4-5 months) just in case the rates went up. 5 year fixed term again!
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Rich B wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:39 pm Yeah, we secured our remortgage deal ages ago (4-5 months) just in case the rates went up. 5 year fixed term again!
Same. TSB allowed us to sign up back in Dec and we only switched over at the beginning of May.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

So do we think 5 percent? The higher the better for me. :D
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

5% = recession.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

mr_jon wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:09 pm5% = recession.
Seems likely to happen to me.

I don't think theres a thread on the ENERGY FUEL CRISIS but may as well be lumped in with the cost of living as interest rates form a major part.

Out of curiosity the other day I did martin lewis calculator thing for heating and electric - it really is quite a lot compared to before but then it was a lot less than before before as previously there was no competition - which is right back where we are now. As soon as prices slide the consumer's price wont - as we have seen at the pumps.

Who realistically is going to get a 18 percent pay rise next year? :lol:

Pubs / going out are going to have a bitter hard winter apart from Spoons which will be where everyone goes to nurse that all day refillable cup of coffee.

As for rates and houses - there surely has to be a drop - they can't keep on printing money. Which brings us back to interest rates - 8 percent would be realistic in this environment - but that will cause chaos as kids weren't warned of this and negative equity when taking out mortgages :lol:

Some realistic figures in this thread and the expected comments too :lol:

John

Post by John »

Be nice if the banks upped the savings rates a bit too.
Beany

Post by Beany »

I passed my probation. They're fucking stuck with me now :lol:
mik

Post by mik »

Beany wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:35 pm I passed my probation. They're fucking stuck with me now :lol:
Nothing in the criteria to demonstrate an ability to post in your own threads then?
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

mik wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:50 pm
Beany wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:35 pm I passed my probation. They're fucking stuck with me now :lol:
Nothing in the criteria to demonstrate an ability to post in your own threads then?
:lol:
Cheers,

Ian
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Zero interest here :lol:
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

John wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:27 pm Be nice if the banks upped the savings rates a bit too.
Yeah like to 7 percent :D
Beany

Post by Beany »

IanF wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:25 pm
How in the name of fuck did I manage that???

I'd not even had a drink FFS.
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Beany wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:51 pm
IanF wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:25 pm

How in the name of fuck did I manage that???

I'd not even had a drink FFS.
Happens to us all ol’ Bean 😉
Cheers,

Ian
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

We had an agreement in principle for a 1.6% mortgage back in March - because that sale fell through we're now 3.38%. Annoying but I recall my parents paying rates of 9% so I guess we have to be grateful!