The end of TV beatings

mik

The end of TV beatings

Post by mik »

I hadn’t even realised this had happened, but it just occurred to me nobody beats their TV any more.

Any loss of picture quality or sound was always an opportunity for a solid smack on the side back in CRT days. Didn’t work? Smack on the top instead. Didn’t work? Increase force.

Now we just fuddle with apps or reset WiFi or boxes without any resort to violent attack.

What the fuck have we become? :cry:
DeskJockey

Re: The end of TV beatings

Post by DeskJockey »

Enlightened in the ways of troubleshooting?
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
mik

Post by mik »

DeskJockey wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:37 pm Enlightened in the ways of troubleshooting?
Troublebeating?
Beany

Post by Beany »

mik wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 9:47 pm I hadn’t even realised this had happened, but it just occurred to me nobody beats their TV any more.

Any loss of picture quality or sound was always an opportunity for a solid smack on the side back in CRT days. Didn’t work? Smack on the top instead. Didn’t work? Increase force.

Now we just fuddle with apps or reset WiFi or boxes without any resort to violent attack.

People who don't need to worry about dried out solder joints any more?
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

There’s no substance to a tv now so it’s not satisfying.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

The trouble is whacking your old box and seeing dust fly out wouldnt smash it to tiny plastic pieces.

Those 50kg sturdy beasts could take it, these days of woke television isnt confined to the fragile drips within it - they are actually constructed in the same way. Bit like this guy at the golf yesterday being hit by a ball on his foot.

ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

“Woke television” :lol:

It’s true that you can’t thump modern tvs but you can pick them up and shake them without risking a slipped disc.
An absolute unit
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

Many Years ago I worked in Electrical retail and often had the TV department as "my area" try getting up step ladders with a 28" WS CRT! I no longer do that job but I did enjoy lifting my 55" flat screen out of it's box without rupturing anything.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I was a warehouse assistant/driver’s mate for an electrical shop when I was young. Can confirm getting tvs onto the top shelf to be a pain.

Not as bad as trying to get american style fridge freezers into most people’s houses though :lol:
An absolute unit
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

I can confirm that 20"+ CRT monitors weren't light either.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Broccers wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:42 am The trouble is whacking your old box and seeing dust fly out wouldnt smash it to tiny plastic pieces.

Those 50kg sturdy beasts could take it, these days of woke television isnt confined to the fragile drips within it - they are actually constructed in the same way. Bit like this guy at the golf yesterday being hit by a ball on his foot.

:lol:

Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

mik wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 9:47 pm I hadn’t even realised this had happened, but it just occurred to me nobody beats their TV any more.

Our IT at work is awful and I find it very therapeutic to absolutely slap the shit out of the computers. There’s nothing more pacifying than administering a hearty slap to the casing after the battery has run out without warning or chrome has taken two minutes to load.