4K File sizes

Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

4K File sizes

Post by Gavster »

Over the last nine months I've started working with 4K video files quite a lot and OMG wtf is going on with file sizes :lol:

I'd been happily managing my entire digital world based on the file sizes associated with photography and graphic design. Nothing too chunky, anything over 50MB is rare.

Now I'm eating up 1GB of HDD for every sinlgle minute of unedited video :shock: video resolution increases must make the hard drive manufacturers very happy :lol:
Gavster

Re: 4K File sizes

Post by Gavster »

And I've recorded a load of TikToks this morning without focussing the camera 😭 so I've got plenty of lovely footage focussed on the wall behind me :oops:
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

You need one of those AI sharpening algorithms :?

I suppose expected file sizes are keeping pace with cost of storage.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

The costs of terabytes of storage seems to be prohibitively expensive still - I don't think the price falls are keeping up with file size increases.

Make sure all your TikToks are 4K though, eh, Gav. Don't want the teenagers on their phones to avoid your channel due to poor resolution :lol:
KiwiDave
Currently Driving: GT86

Post by KiwiDave »

Fuck I hear this.

In my last (Satan) job I was in charge of data storage for all of our media production - and the marketing peeps were like 4K is dead, we need 8k for everything... dicks! :lol: :lol:

Meanwhile I stay as far away from video as possible.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

You just need a button, like they have in TV shows, the one that takes a 16-bit thumbnail and expands it out to to full HD so they can read the serial number of back of the perp's watch.

Store everything as low-res, expand out to whatever res you need for production. Simples.
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

KiwiDave wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:56 am Fuck I hear this.

In my last (Satan) job I was in charge of data storage for all of our media production - and the marketing peeps were like 4K is dead, we need 8k for everything... dicks! :lol: :lol:

Meanwhile I stay as far away from video as possible.
Oh Jesus, 8K :shock:

Video is cool but creating anything beyond sixty seconds is too much :lol:
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

Sundayjumper wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:12 am You just need a button, like they have in TV shows, the one that takes a 16-bit thumbnail and expands it out to to full HD so they can read the serial number of back of the perp's watch.

Store everything as low-res, expand out to whatever res you need for production. Simples.
Of course, I love the way it's possible to take out of focus images and make them pin-sharp in movies :lol:
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Gavster wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:37 am
Sundayjumper wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:12 am You just need a button, like they have in TV shows, the one that takes a 16-bit thumbnail and expands it out to to full HD so they can read the serial number of back of the perp's watch.

Of course, I love the way it's possible to take out of focus images and make them pin-sharp in movies :lol: