Jubilee related mishaps

Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Jubilee related mishaps

Post by Jobbo »

We had a lovely time at the village jubilee party today. But I lost my phone into the portable toilet which had been located in a barn so was pitch black inside. I lit things up a little using the torch on my phone but sadly it slipped from my hand and slid down all of the surfaces intended to direct people’s liquid emissions into the hole, directing it straight into the chemicals below with a splosh. I didn’t feel like putting my arm down there to get it back 😄
duncs500

Re: Jubilee related mishaps

Post by duncs500 »

:lol: What an unpleasant business!

Apart from over-salting some home made burgers for the bbq yesterday and forgetting about some garlic bread that was in the oven, no major mishaps so far. It's actually been a rather pleasant break so far.
John

Post by John »

I drank too much red wine when out for a meal last night and almost walked through a floor to ceiling window that I thought was a doorway. It was down a dead end so I had to do the walk of shame past other customers back the way I came.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Bunch of plonkers :lol:
mik

Post by mik »

Someone may be about to make another shitty barn find vid…. :?
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

Jobbo wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 5:43 pm We had a lovely time at the village jubilee party today. But I lost my phone into the portable toilet which had been located in a barn so was pitch black inside. I lit things up a little using the torch on my phone but sadly it slipped from my hand and slid down all of the surfaces intended to direct people’s liquid emissions into the hole, directing it straight into the chemicals below with a splosh. I didn’t feel like putting my arm down there to get it back 😄
Portaloos at festivals often end up with all kinds of drugs and phones in them. I remember someone telling me a story about trying to get an engagement ring out of a portaloo, apparently it was quite easy.

The only jubilee mishap here is doing my back over on Thurs having a picnic watching the flyover.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

I imagine it doesn’t work now, despite being a relatively new somewhat water-resistant phone.

Got a replacement SIM this morning from the Vodafone store with my proper number. Finally I have found a use for mobile phone shops. My iPhone XS is back in service since I’d not got round to selling it. Which annoyingly reveals how much nicer the ergonomics are than the iPhone 12/13. Might not get a direct replacement for the lost phone.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Jobbo wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:37 am I imagine it doesn’t work now, despite being a relatively new somewhat water-resistant phone.

Got a replacement SIM this morning from the Vodafone store with my proper number. Finally I have found a use for mobile phone shops. My iPhone XS is back in service since I’d not got round to selling it. Which annoyingly reveals how much nicer the ergonomics are than the iPhone 12/13. Might not get a direct replacement for the lost phone.
I don't see why it wouldn't work. I've seen loads of videos where they've found phones at the bottom of rivers still turned on.

I got a 13 mini which is far nicer to use than my full sized 13 work phone.
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

Rich B wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:57 am
Jobbo wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:37 am I imagine it doesn’t work now, despite being a relatively new somewhat water-resistant phone.

I don't see why it wouldn't work. I've seen loads of videos where they've found phones at the bottom of rivers still turned on.
It's true, after all, they're supposed to have some level water resistance. However, Jobbo's post translated in my brain to "there's no way I'm putting a shitty phone against my face no matter how much dettol is involved".

I guess that's what CEX is for :lol:
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

That’s what insurance is for! I wasn’t putting my hands in chemicals mixed with other people’s effluent even if I could have found a way to access it.

Just held an iPhone 13 Mini in the Apple store and it’s a much nicer size. Does the camera still stuck out in a case, Rich?
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Jobbo wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 5:31 pm That’s what insurance is for! I wasn’t putting my hands in chemicals mixed with other people’s effluent even if I could have found a way to access it.

Just held an iPhone 13 Mini in the Apple store and it’s a much nicer size. Does the camera still stuck out in a case, Rich?
I suppose it depends on the case - my one is quite a thin case but has a flange that protrudes (snigger) a good 1-2mm around the camera.
Simon

Post by Simon »

I think the Mini's achilles heel is the battery life, non? If everything else is the same and it's only the screen that's smaller than standby etc will suffer with a smaller battery.
Last edited by Simon on Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Jobbo wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 5:43 pm We had a lovely time at the village jubilee party today. But I lost my phone into the portable toilet which had been located in a barn so was pitch black inside. I lit things up a little using the torch on my phone but sadly it slipped from my hand and slid down all of the surfaces intended to direct people’s liquid emissions into the hole, directing it straight into the chemicals below with a splosh. I didn’t feel like putting my arm down there to get it back 😄
Something something shitty reception.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Simon wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:29 am I think the Mini's achilles heel is the battery life, non? If everything else is the same and it's only the screen that's smaller than standby etc will suffer with a smaller battery.
It’s a compromise I think I’ll be willing to make. What’s not is the limited camera and the square sides which I didn’t like on the 13 Pro.

Tempted to pick up a new 11 Pro if I can find one at a sensible price, since that’s the last curved edge model (other than the SE). Still comes with 3 camera lenses. Hard to find in 512GB form though.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Jobbo wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:33 am
Simon wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:29 am I think the Mini's achilles heel is the battery life, non? If everything else is the same and it's only the screen that's smaller than standby etc will suffer with a smaller battery.
It’s a compromise I think I’ll be willing to make. What’s not is the limited camera and the square sides which I didn’t like on the 13 Pro.

Tempted to pick up a new 11 Pro if I can find one at a sensible price, since that’s the last curved edge model (other than the SE). Still comes with 3 camera lenses. Hard to find in 512GB form though.
Hi Simon. Can I ask, why you need 512gb when so much stuff is cloud stored nowadays? For example my 6 pro is running at 38% of 128gb.
simon_g

Post by simon_g »

The 13 Mini does way better than the 12 Mini (and indeed the full size 12), I think the newer chips are more efficient. Only time I’ve needed a daytime charge was when I was ill and using it all day on the sofa.

I stupidly lost mine a few weeks ago (a crappy handlebar mount hurled it into a canal), bought exactly the same again, 256GB so I can have plenty of local music on there.

Wife has 13 Pro for the better camera and it feels huge and heavy in comparison. Mini is spot on if you don’t do much video/games IMO.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

McSwede wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 5:20 pm Hi Simon. Can I ask, why you need 512gb when so much stuff is cloud stored nowadays? For example my 6 pro is running at 38% of 128gb.
I have all my photos since my original iPhone stored, which is often useful. I also like to stick a shitload of music on there. And since Files improved I often use it to store big files which I download when I’m out and about.

Last phone was 256GB and stopped backing up WhatsApp because it got too low on storage. So I find it useful to have the bigger capacity.

Simon, I think you’re right that the 13 generation are more efficient, having looked at time to drain the battery over the last few generations. But since the 13 Mini isn’t exactly cheap and misses out on the cameras and Promotion I’d got used to on the 13 Pro, I’m totally uncertain what to get. Maybe a 13 Pro again with a different case.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Went for a replacement 13 Pro in the end. Got a call tonight from our neighbour because the portaloo had been taken away and my phone was found. I got it back in a plastic bag with a distinct blue tinge.

The leather case went straight in the bin. The phone has had a very good wash in hot water. I dried it with kitchen towel including in the charger port. It seems to work fine so I won’t lose the photos from the last week which weren’t yet backed up. Not keen on touching it though; I’m going to be returning it to the insurers when the payout arrives 😄
Simon

Post by Simon »

Just stick it in rice, it'll be fine. </internet>
Simon

Post by Simon »

Out of interest, who was the insurance with?