Waiting for major work/life decisions

duncs500

Re: Waiting for major work/life decisions

Post by duncs500 »

Or good old fashioned Costco might be good enough.
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

<bump>

Amazing how this career stuff goes up and down. Having a pretty lame week in general.

Then an email landed yesterday from a major publisher proposing a book deal :shock:

I replied and heard nothing, now watching my email like a hawk until they respond.

Writing a book is something I've been trying to do since 2016. I've sketched out a few ideas and drafts, even wrote the bulk of a fictional novel in 2018. Just never had the right structure and direction to make it work, plus it's only a hobby unless you've got a publisher. This could be another one of those game-changing moments.

Struggling to focus on anything else right now :lol: with one eye on my inbox permanently
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

That's very exciting! Fingers crossed. What are they proposing? Nonfiction based on your social media stuff/science?
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

Yeah, exactly that, looking for a relevant/contemporary take on food, they've seen all my social media stuff and really like it.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

8-) That's great! Fingers crossed it comes through for you, seems like a logical thing for you to do based on what you do now.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Very intriguing!
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

Having the mentorship and guidance of a major publisher might be such a level-up

Still no reply :( :x :lol:

It’s kinda funny how it’s probably a standard email for the editor tos send, but for the recipient it’s the email of the year :lol:
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

If it helps its relatively cheap to have a handful of hard back books made these days - so even if you dont sell that many you can say you wrote and self published a book. Let me know if you need a cost ;)
Jimexpl

Post by Jimexpl »

Broccers wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 4:58 pm If it helps its relatively cheap to have a handful of hard back books made these days - so even if you dont sell that many you can say you wrote and self published a book. Let me know if you need a cost ;)
Are you involved in printing?

What I’d not realised until my wife had to buy one of her own(!) books at short notice is that most books purchased on Amazon are printed by them, and it wasn’t the same quality, and they add a page ‘printed by amazon’
Beany

Post by Beany »

Gavster wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 3:48 pm Having the mentorship and guidance of a major publisher might be such a level-up

It’s kinda funny how it’s probably a standard email for the editor tos send, but for the recipient it’s the email of the year :lol:
The editor, next month

mik

Post by mik »

Jimexpl wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 6:47 pm
Broccers wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 4:58 pm If it helps its relatively cheap to have a handful of hard back books made these days - so even if you dont sell that many you can say you wrote and self published a book. Let me know if you need a cost ;)
Mr Broccers owns a printing company.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

mik wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 6:55 pm
Jimexpl wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 6:47 pm
Mr Broccers owns a printing company.
Yes. simonb@sprinta.co.uk if you need help.

8-)
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

Beany wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 6:49 pm
Gavster wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 3:48 pm Having the mentorship and guidance of a major publisher might be such a level-up

The editor, next month

That's about right :lol:

Going in to see them on Weds afternoon, so all wrapped up nicely for the end of the week. I'll mention you Broccers in case they need some help ;)