Getting injured.

McSwede

Getting injured.

Post by McSwede »

It sucks. I've just torn a calf muscle this morning and it's quite unpleasant.

To get ready for the Inca trail I've been starting to get myself in better shape with a little running, hiking with a pack and joining a fitness place to work on strength, conditioning, fitness, blah blah blah. I'm three classes into an Olympic weight lifting foundation course and really enjoying it.

That was until this morning when I crocked my leg doing a split jerk. It felt like someone had snipped the bottom of some calf muscles with scissors and they twanged back up my leg. Not a nice feeling 😂

Now going to be sidelined for a while for it to get better which will set me back a few weeks 🙁

Getting old has nothing to do with it! 😁
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Re: Getting injured.

Post by Gavster »

It really sucks :( hope you get back on your feet quickly.

How low down the calf is it? Is it near the achilles?

From years of having running injuries, I cannot stress how much quicker you will recover if you ice it, stretch it and roller it every day. I used to just sit these injuries out, waiting until it healed itself, but doing all of those rehab activities religiously will get you back into training wayyyyy quicker.
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

Pro tip #2 - this one was a game-changer in calf injury prevention - properly supportive shoes when I'm at home.

I have always walked around my home barefoot, or in socks or flipflops, it was my default state. I have also always had calf injuries.

The running shoes I wear are Asics Gel Kayano, which are great, but cost about £100-150 a pair. So I bought a pair of Gel Kayano Evo (£50) to wear in my home every day as 'slippers'. I'm not joking that I haven't had a tight calf since then, I'm convinced it's made a huge difference.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Gavster wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:57 pm It really sucks :( hope you get back on your feet quickly.

How low down the calf is it? Is it near the achilles?

From years of having running injuries, I cannot stress how much quicker you will recover if you ice it, stretch it and roller it every day. I used to just sit these injuries out, waiting until it healed itself, but doing all of those rehab activities religiously will get you back into training wayyyyy quicker.
Thanks. The pain is mainly in the upper part of my calf. I have been icing it every couple of hours, keeping elevated and doing some very gentle stretches.

When it went it felt low down in my calf and the sensation moved rapidly up it.

Appreciate the advice!!
mik

Post by mik »

Oooh - GWS(YC).

Currently doing daily physio for a recurring knee injury. The Physical Terrorist is convinced there is nothing structurally wrong with my knee, so we are trying this first before I consider surgery. When it “goes” it feels like someone stabbing a knife in behind my kneecap….
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

mik wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 2:39 pm Oooh - GWS(YC).

Currently doing daily physio for a recurring knee injury. The Physical Terrorist is convinced there is nothing structurally wrong with my knee, so we are trying this first before I consider surgery. When it “goes” it feels like someone stabbing a knife in behind my kneecap….
Did you try doing your own research rather than relying upon a "so called" expert?? 😂

Good luck with the knee. Sounds unpleasant.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Being healthy drawbacks 😁
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Ouch! Hope it heals quickly. With an injury like that, does it knit back together without surgery?
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Jobbo wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:08 pm Ouch! Hope it heals quickly. With an injury like that, does it knit back together without surgery?
I presume it'll sort itself out. The whole muscle hasn't detached as that'd require surgery I'd guess.

And yes, ouch indeed 😂
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

McSwede wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:25 pm ouch indeed
I read that in a Saturday evening tv "the voice of..." voiceover guy :oops:

Feck that :( Gws.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

You can never stretch your calves enough. Since stopping lifting mine have tightened like mad.

Toes towards the skirting, bend at the knees till your knees touch the wall, then keep putting your feet further away till you’re an arse to grass ninja.

Dave!
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

After 8 weeks I started training again as it feels good finally. Have done a couple of short hilly hikes and have now done a couple of runs. Gym starts again tomorrow.

The only problem is I put on over a stone whilst I was out of action. Lots of entertaining at work and generally being a greedy little pig. The hard work starts now for Peru!!

The main issue I have now is I have loads of summer entertaining to do with customers (3 days in Magaluf, race days, sportsman's dinners, etc) so I'll have to work really hard to keep it off 😂