The neighbours

mik

Re: The neighbours

Post by mik »

NotoriousREV wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 2:50 pm
JLv3.0 wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 1:56 pm
integrale_evo wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 12:00 pm I am probably the annoying neighbour 😂
I guess if none of my neighbours are annoying, it has to be me, doesn't it :(
It's definitely me. I've mouthed off to at least 2 neighbours who no longer speak to me and I'm always working on cars and bikes on my drive.
I find this hard to believe Dave. You always come across as so.... cuddly. :)
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

There’s 8 flats on my floor and I have never even seen anyone else apart from the couple opposite as we happen to walk our dogs at the same time. Nice enough people.
The AC units get serviced once a year and I was telling the chap how the flat was much colder recently as I never had to use the heating in pervious years. He told me it’s because the person living directly below was from Argentina and constantly had the AC on 30, but he had passed away and the new residents have the temperature on a normal setting hence why my flat is much more cool :shock:
How about not having a sig at all?
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

mik wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 3:26 pm
JLv3.0 wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 1:56 pm

I guess if none of my neighbours are annoying, it has to be me, doesn't it :(
It's definitely me. I've mouthed off to at least 2 neighbours who no longer speak to me and I'm always working on cars and bikes on my drive.
Are you calling me fat, YC?
Middle-aged Dirtbag
mik

Post by mik »

NotoriousREV wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 8:43 pm
mik wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 3:26 pm

Are you calling me fat, YC?
I did not say that. YFC.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

We are semi detached to a rental property so have had 4 people live there since we moved in 8 years ago.

Lovely lady with 2 kids. Quiet but would chat when you met her. She left to buy a house but was the best neighbour.

Members of a Lithuanian Rock band. He was a hen pecked guy who was permanently being moaned at by his wife who randomly dressed like an absolute slut and got lifts in nice German cars. They weren’t noisy normally but when I was away they went a bit crazy and my then pregnant wife didn’t sleep well every weekend for a month. When I returned I asked them to keep the noise down, this was their call to wind the volume right up 5 minutes later so our next chat was with me in their living room. Perfectly quiet after that.

Then we had a lad and his missus, seemed fine but very averse to cleaning. They had a mental Pitbull who wasn’t trained, clearly had issues and despite us saying we would take it out was never exercised. They were evicted and the dog was put down a few months later. Both some woe is me victims.

The current lot are quiet enough but a bit passive aggressive. They are the only lot we haven’t bothered to make an effort with due to how they come across.

Dave!
John

Post by John »

On one side we have a bungalow with a retired woman living in it, she's about the 5th or 6th resident in it since we moved in. Never any problems from any of them as they have all been elderly and pretty much invisible. The other side has a woman living on her own, works away often but still finds the time to cut our lawn :D
Mr Pish
Currently Driving: Model 3 Performance

Post by Mr Pish »

my rear neighbour had huge trees that pretty much blocked all light to our tiny garden, so much so that parts of the fence were permanently damp with green moss all over it, they all have preservative orders on so we have no right to light etc and even pruning them has to have permits

even thou his garden is surrounded by houses he has recently tried to get planning permission for multiple dwellings in his garden which of course was refused, the trees being one of many reasons for the rejection

he recently reapplied and as if by magic all the trees vanished yesterday in record time :lol:

top man :twisted:
Join us, join the Teslarati!
Simon

Post by Simon »

How did he get rid of the trees if they have preservation orders on them?
The artist formerly known as _Who_
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Copper Nails ??

Remove a 2 inch strip of the bark the whole way round ?
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
GG.

Post by GG. »

You can get TPOs removed in certain circumstances but I'm not familiar with the grounds on which you'd be able to do so - I expect only if their dangerous or dying. By the sounds of Eric's post, however, he seems to be implying his neighbour just felled them in contravention?

For all I have sympathy with a garden almost entirely shaded (though obviously it will have been like that when you bought the property), chopping mature trees down without a better reason than that is just depressing (and obviously, if in breach of a TPO, illegal and punishable by a fine of £20,000).
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

GG. wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 10:03 amif their dangerous or dying
What's your hourly rate again?
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

The woodland behind my house is all protected by TPOs, we’re south facing and in summer the sun is high enough to not get blocked by the tall trees, then in winter they’re all deciduous anyway.

It makes for a great background for the summer months and has plenty of wildlife neighbours.

Hopefully my grass has improved for this summer!
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

You get approval for that dinosaur? 8-)
Mr Pish
Currently Driving: Model 3 Performance

Post by Mr Pish »

JLv3.0 wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 10:24 am You get approval for that dinosaur? 8-)
:D

I have no idea if he had permits or not, it just seams very convenient they were all removed just after reapplying for planning and that they were felled and removed so quickly

would have been nice to have had some warning since the trees would easily have spanned our roof given their height and distance from us if it had gone wrong

he is often referred to as a traveller by locals
Last edited by Mr Pish on Thu May 17, 2018 10:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Join us, join the Teslarati!
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

i was too busy trying to get approval for i I could, when I should have been applying for if I should...
GG.

Post by GG. »

JLv3.0 wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 10:11 am
GG. wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 10:03 amif their dangerous or dying
What's your hourly rate again?
Dyslexia rules KO. I accept my fine by the grammar police.
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Our corner plot backs onto school playing fields which our garden gate has access to and has had since the houses were built in the late 70's.
In my youth the playing fields were a well used valuable resource with kids often playing football on them. Back in the late 90's the schools after a spate of vandalism decided to fence off the lot (rather expensive and unnecessary as they could have fenced off the buildings and had large gates for access for far less) so they are unused by anyone but the residents of the adjoining properties. They do sometime tell the kids to get off, but they haven't mentioned to me anything yet. I go out there when I cut back the bushes and undergrowth and sometimes run my RC cars on the field outside of school hours. It's a nice environment and I can hear the kids playing at playtime, it's all a bit 'Parklife' but one of the reasons why we bought the place.

Carl.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Rich B wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 10:21 am The woodland behind my house is all protected by TPOs, we’re south facing and in summer the sun is high enough to not get blocked by the tall trees, then in winter they’re all deciduous anyway.
We have an interesting arrangement behind ours where we back on to an old cemetery, however, half of it is overgrown woodland and there is a grass "paddock" that backs directly on to the houses on our street (which we've all got gates opening on to - similar to Carl's situation with the school playing fields).

We're at the top left of this aerial photo:

Its currently the source of a lot of controversy as Southwark council have a ridiculous policy of redeveloping the cemeteries, reusing old graves and chopping down the woodland so they can sell new burial plots (as you can see from the huge scorched earth patch at the bottom of the shot. This is apparently so they have capacity for anyone who want to be buried within the borough can be, rather than having to be cremated or buried outside Southwark :roll: It doesn't take a great leap of deductive reasoning to conclude this is to generate cash.

I somehow can't ever imagine if the council was run by any party other than Labour that they'd think chopping mature woodland down in the middle of a city centre and digging up old graves and smashing headstones - many of whom were killed in action in WW1, was anything but an appalling idea.

Incidentially I think all of those hatcheted trees had TPOs on them and the council goons had them removed.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Rich B wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 10:29 am
i was too busy trying to get approval for i I could, when I should have been applying for if I should...
Oooh, ahhh, that's how it always starts. Then later there's running and um, screaming.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
GG.

Post by GG. »

You guys are just too funny.