IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Re: Drugs, (and absurd job updates)

Post by IanF »

Gavster wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 10:04 am
Beany wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:10 pm I've already found some updates they need to thier onboarding documentation so I'll bring that up, as I'm 75% certain that'll be under my purview, so I think this will be pretty fucking cool, honestly.

And I'm not joking.. New job? Not. Remotely. Phased.
Massive congrats on the new role, after knowing you online for 20 years 😳 it feels good to hear that you’ve found a role which values your work.

If you want to start on a really good note, then just make the changes to the onboarding for them to review, or at least sketch them out and present them. They’ll realise you’re the nuts if you do that.
This.. nice one Gav
Cheers,

Ian
Beany

Post by Beany »

Apparently there is already a problem at my previous employer with billing/call stats, the had of IT had been blindly deprecating old VMs that he's migrated, likely related to that, or a basket issue he 'fixed' this week.

Oh well, that's a shame. Never mind...
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Beany wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 2:16 pm Apparently there is already a problem at my previous employer with billing/call stats, the had of IT had been blindly deprecating old VMs that he's migrated, likely related to that, or a basket issue he 'fixed' this week.

Oh well, that's a shame. Never mind...
Isn't it nice to be able to say "previous"?
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Beany

Post by Beany »

Ain't it just.

Not my Circus, etc.
tim

Post by tim »

Onwards and upwards Beanster. I'm stoked for you mate!
Beany

Post by Beany »

No works phone in my right pocket.

Still getting phantom buzzes there.

I think I might need to get some fucking therapy after six years on call without a break :lol:
Beany

Post by Beany »

Clearing out the office/spare room and it's like psychological archeology. There are layers of takeaway (from when I had money) and empty beer bottles and i can pin down when I've been drinking harder stuff to, for example, lockdown etc

Kinda over stressing myself with it, so gonna clear it 'enough' and tackle bits of it in the week.

Getting rewarded for progress with pictures of my pal Angelica's puppy, Scylla, who is adorable.

Bloody odd having 'me time', I'm not sure what to do with myself other than the obvious preparing for tomorrow by having a useable work space.

Getting increasingly angry that I let myself get to this stage, then have to remember that I was mostly pushed to it. That's not the case any more so I should be less ruined in future...
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

Looks like I could end up with two very different job opportunites. 2nd interview at a local financial services company this week, 15k basic pay uplift. Then up to Islay on the 8th for a 2nd interview where I'm the preferred candidate, 10k uplift. So a safe option or a remote island lifestyle type of change, but with a hefty cost of living hike. A bit like you, the recruitment knobs were 'your pay is only that much??'.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Frustrating when they all say that, isn't it?

I've now got the room cleared to a 'safe for Zoom' degree - that is there aren't bottles and old servers in the background. Cleared the desk down, dragged out my old Logitech basics keyboard and mouse, which I realised have been sitting, powered on, for about a year and a half.

Both work perfectly. Logitech are good at this shit. My old, OLD MX Nano also still works, but the wheel needs buffing to remove corrosion from the steel 'hyperscroll' wheel, I can do that in my own time - the Basics one is fine for now.

Also found:
Raspberry Pi
DSLR battery charger
Mellanox 40gb FC card :lol:
Client AP Bridge
Several e-cig batteries
Shure SRH440 headphones/monitors - which are much different in sound to the Soundcore Q30s I have, less bassy but much, much clearer.

Also my Draytek router, Engenius AP, Syno NAS and RaspPi ZeroW, all of which have been running under a horrible mess without complaint for a couple of years now. Hardy stuff :lol:

Got four heavy duty rubble sacks (the ones a bit smaller than a regular bin bag, you know the sort) of glass to dispose of, and that's....about half of it.

But this'll do for now I think.
Beany

Post by Beany »

New job is very chill, back to back Zoom and Slack so far, for induction.

Bit stressed over some of the more nuanced technical stuff but that can be learned so I should just chill the fuck out.

Not used to this lack of stress honestly, it's weird.

Edit: in case anyone is in doubt if the behaviour of the old place, a PM I got from an ex colleague today:
How's the day going? Been shouted or berated at yet or called names?
Because that's just the expectation at the old place...
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

So you're going to be about here more often for the daily dose of personal abuse?

Enjoy the new place.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Pfft, I wish - this week has genuinely been back to back Zoom and Slack - it's been.... Hectic isn't the right phrase.... It's been dense.

Started farting about with a dev version install (copy of a live server, but with Git origin rather than the usual repo build) and it went all kinds of wrong in interesting ways so it was a baptism of fire by proxy....

Had a pizza tonight... Then went out for a couple of beers with the ex works lot (they needed someone to moan to, bless them) then get back home, and my neighbors cat invaded the house :lol: so I've been letting him get bored of the place (and discovering there's no food....) and have now kicked him out.

What a fucking odd 'week' :lol:
Beany

Post by Beany »

I'm sure everyone's bored now, but I'm quite enjoying the new job. Good team (soon to lose its most senior member due to unfortunate older relative care concerns, sadly - my boots are his to fill :shock: ), good people.

Both us newbies got 'volunteered' with about 15 mins notice into a user group meeting yesterday - our first customer interaction - and I took the hit for m'colleague by being the first newbie of us to speak to real clients. I didn't say fuck or cunt. I think that's a win. He played down his nerves, I was open about it, think they liked the honesty :lol:

Good people, genuinely interested in the services we offer/sponsor, and hyper into the logistics (if not technical) side so no need to have been quite so on edge. All very cool. Genuinely. Good bunch in that UG.

The Team are happy we have the expertise between us all when the current senior leaves, end of July, to keep things ticking over (one of my major concerns given my lack of continuous experience in, well, any real technical field that last six years - I've had to jump from pillar to post on a monthly basis) so I feel better this weekend.

My current tasks are updating our monitoring suite from nagios to Zabbix (double Dutch to normies, sorry) and just generally having Opinions On Things. We have some Asana boards to snack on, so we'll start picking and choosing from that next week. We've already smashed out some tasty regulatory stuff so I'm pleased with that.

Down to Bristol on Monday afternoon, these poor sods have to meet me for real. The functional head of customer tech support will be on the same train as me later on my journey (and she's going to hunt me down!) and if I don't scare her off, the MD will be giving both of us a lift to the hotel from the station so that'll be interesting.

In all seriousness, I'm a physical wreck, must of my clothes don't fit me, my body has been wracked by stress the last few years.... but I'm sure it'll be fine.... And if not, it'll be interesting ;)

TL;DR - This is pretty cool and despite some confidence related hiccups I'm enjoying this.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Glad to hear it’s working out
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Seems people have a higher appreciation of your abilities than you do, old Bean.. glad it’s working out for you. 👍
Cheers,

Ian
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

Beany wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:53 pm I'm sure everyone's bored now,
No, was waiting for an update.

Glad it’s going well!
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

All I need is the heartwarming muscial overture. 8-) Good stuff.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Not bored by hearing things are going well :)
Excellent stuff, Beany 8-)
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

8-) Sounds good! I sense you'll soon settle into it and gain confidence.

I can't remember what uplift you're getting, but you can't beat that sweet sweet new job first pay cheque dropping.:)
scotta

Post by scotta »

duncs500 wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:33 am 8-) Sounds good! I sense you'll soon settle into it and gain confidence.

I can't remember what uplift you're getting, but you can't beat that sweet sweet new job first pay cheque dropping.:)
IIRC he’s doubled his salary so it will indeed be sweet.