Drugs, (and absurd job updates)

Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Re: Drugs, (and absurd job updates)

Post by Sundayjumper »

Gavster wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 8:31 am All of my best bosses were the ones who knew how to crack a joke at their own expense.
My measure of a good boss is whether they do their turn on the tea round.

Team player - does their bit and will have a non-work chat too.

Dictator - expects tea/coffee delivered to them.

Next week I would like you to fully document drinks rota at your new place :-) (assuming you're on site, not WFH, obvs)
Last edited by Sundayjumper on Fri May 27, 2022 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Beany wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 8:01 am Hopefully the CEO doesn't turn up and try to do a 'speech' or anything - there's only so much smiling and nodding I can do...
I insisted on no presentation and no announcement. No one knew I was leaving, On my last day, I said good bye to 5 or 6 people I liked and respected and walked out the door carrying a box of my stuff. Laters!!
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Beany

Post by Beany »

Sundayjumper wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 9:37 am
Gavster wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 8:31 am All of my best bosses were the ones who knew how to crack a joke at their own expense.

Team player - does their bit and will have a non-work chat too.

Dictator - expects tea/coffee delivered to them.

Next week I would like you to fully document drinks rota at your new place :-) (assuming you're on site, not WFH, obvs)
Fully remote. And they have been for over a decade.

So I'll be making my own tea. God help me.

And yeah, @dinny_g I should have thought of that, but this lot (outside of the management) like me a lot so it would never have happened.

I'll grin and bear it I'm sure...
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

dinny_g wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 9:38 am
Beany wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 8:01 am Hopefully the CEO doesn't turn up and try to do a 'speech' or anything - there's only so much smiling and nodding I can do...
I insisted on no presentation and no announcement. No one knew I was leaving, On my last day, I said good bye to 5 or 6 people I liked and respected and walked out the door carrying a box of my stuff. Laters!!
"He disappeared without a trace..."
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

When I left Army HQ my boss's speech was just painful. I'd been there almost three years and yet it was clear he knew nothing about me. And it was only a team of ~12 people it's not like he had hundreds of people to remember. The best bit was this:

Ken: "So, Steve, I think you joined us in Feb 2015, is that right ?"

Steve: "It was Sep 2015 actually"

Ken: "Oh"

Ken: <thinks>

Ken: decides to carry on anyway and tells a story about something that happened before I joined and had absolutely nothing to do with me
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

Sundayjumper wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 9:37 am
Yeah, that always gets the staff on side ;)
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

And to loop back to the tea/coffee thing, at that job I provided a bean-to-cup machine and most of the beans, and what we'll call the "good" people also brought in beans on a regular basis so we'd always have some stock, and get a bit of variety too.

SOME people would use the machine to make themselves a coffee, never make for the rest of the team, and never bring beans in. Not just the boss, a couple of others too. They thought nobody noticed.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

I had a pretty senior guy hand in his notice on Wednesday - he's only been there 2 months and was doing really well, I'd check in regularly and he was happy with no issues. Then he's suddenly decided it's taking too long to get to/from the office every day (I mean, don't think I've moved where Birmingham is in the last two months?) and it's not leaving him time for hobbies... I suggested we pay for trains/more WFH, etc.. to no avail.

Anyway, he's on a weeks notice (probation), and decided to wait until he was about to go on booked leave for a week - so I've ended up with two days.

Thanks cunt.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Gavster wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 9:48 am
"He disappeared without a trace..."
Call me Kaiser Soze… :lol:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

Rich B wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 10:23 am I had a pretty senior guy hand in his notice on Wednesday - he's only been there 2 months and was doing really well, I'd check in regularly and he was happy with no issues. Then he's suddenly decided it's taking too long to get to/from the office every day (I mean, don't think I've moved where Birmingham is in the last two months?) and it's not leaving him time for hobbies... I suggested we pay for trains/more WFH, etc.. to no avail.

Anyway, he's on a weeks notice (probation), and decided to wait until he was about to go on booked leave for a week - so I've ended up with two days.

Thanks cunt.
That really sucks, people need to learn to speak up more. Listening to a Diary of a CEO podcast (episode with Simon Sinek) and it was describing exactly this scenario because staff are afraid of having 'difficult' conversations. He was saying that employees are building resentment at work and then quitting angrily simply because they never had the confidence to speak to their bosses about a raise or different working conditions. Meanwhile the bosses would often have been happy to give more money or different conditions to keep them. By the time they quit, it's too late.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Rich B wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 10:23 am I had a pretty senior guy hand in his notice on Wednesday - he's only been there 2 months and was doing really well, I'd check in regularly and he was happy with no issues. Then he's suddenly decided it's taking too long to get to/from the office every day (I mean, don't think I've moved where Birmingham is in the last two months?) and it's not leaving him time for hobbies... I suggested we pay for trains/more WFH, etc.. to no avail.

Thanks cunt.
Good luck getting a reference with that behaviour.

Got similar here but I'll talk about that another time :lol:
Beany

Post by Beany »

£230 of amazon vouchers (from about a dozen staff who are in), two bottles of Sainsburies Finest Chateaux NeufDePape, a weeks worth of pain au chocolate for next weeks breakfasts and a fake cat succulent thing.

Not a bad haul, that!

Dinner tonight locally, then that's that. CEO came in but didn't show his face on my floor....
Beany

Post by Beany »

The last semi ops person decided to look at business critical docco at 4pm so didn't get out till 1730.

Went to restaurant, head of IT announced he's told the CEO he's on garden leave (and the CEO was stupid enough to let him) so no formal handover to management of the state of IT in the company other than "it's shit and your management has been shit". Which is absolutely true, but that doesn't help the people who aren't management and who still work there. Don't even know if he handed over the password list I gave him.... Not that it matters if they aren't replacing me obviously. Who needs a sysadmin, eh?

He then had food and drinks with us at the restaurant, and left without paying. Stuffing us all. Including me. Oh my leaving do. The cunt.

So he's in the shit list. I've blocked his contacts.

But of course, other than an extra £5 each on the tab, none of this is actually my problem.

I'm sitting at home now, and I don't need to worry about their shitty infrastructure waking me up at 3am any more.

It's fucking bliss. I'm gonna have one of those bottles of wine, watch three last episode of Prehistoric Planet, and have a long lie in tomorrow.

Lovely.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I’ve never been happier for someone I don’t really know! 8-)
Beany

Post by Beany »

I'm kinda shocked my own self.

Most people on starting a new job with ostensibly bigger responsibilities etc would be nervous.

I'm looking at this going "well, I'll not have to learn how to rebuild an undocumented high availability system this week after the head of IT broke it through impatience, killing revenue on the retail side of the business which will result in the MD and CEO screaming at me for the 20 mins downtime we had before I got it various vendor partners on board at 8am to help me fix it as a personal favour to them.... so it's probably not that tricky"

I might owe a couple of contractors some beers, but they're cool because they know with this new job I'm good for it. And they all regret me leaving because now they can't deal with....me :lol: and they absolutely will NOT have that relationship with me previous employers.

They liked dealing with me, explicitly, absolutely not them...

I've got some changes to make to my home network to make it compliant with how they want it ( no public https access to my router, etc) but it genuinely feels like this new job will be like being on annual leave, compared to what I've been through.

I've already found some updates they need to thier onboarding documentation so I'll bring that up, as I'm 75% certain that'll be under my purview, so I think this will be pretty fucking cool, honestly.

And I'm not joking.. New job? Not. Remotely. Phased.
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

dinny_g wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 10:36 pm I’ve never been happier for someone I don’t really know! 8-)
I've never met him in person but we got drunk together on Discord twice early on on the pandemic and both times we ended up utterly, utterly, wrecked. I think we agreed that meeting for drinks in person would be a terrible idea for our health :lol: :lol:
Beany

Post by Beany »

It wouldn't end well. Not remotely.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Beany wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 5:54 am It wouldn't end well. Not remotely.
So much for your long lie in… :lol: Or were you still up???
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

Beany wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:10 pm I've already found some updates they need to thier onboarding documentation so I'll bring that up, as I'm 75% certain that'll be under my purview, so I think this will be pretty fucking cool, honestly.

And I'm not joking.. New job? Not. Remotely. Phased.
Massive congrats on the new role, after knowing you online for 20 years 😳 it feels good to hear that you’ve found a role which values your work.

If you want to start on a really good note, then just make the changes to the onboarding for them to review, or at least sketch them out and present them. They’ll realise you’re the nuts if you do that.
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

dinny_g wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 10:36 pm I’ve never been happier for someone I don’t really know! 8-)
Lots of this, nice one for finally taking the plunge. With your skills you deserve proper money with a decent employer.