Drugs, (and absurd job updates)

Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Re: Drugs, (and absurd job updates)

Post by Sundayjumper »

dinny_g wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 11:43 am although I suspect, a bit like myself, your professionalism and general all-round decency will not let you leave the new guy in the shit- so you'll produce superb documentation... and probably work extra hours to do it.
I would find myself with the same inner conflict - happy to see the company implode, but wouldn't want to stitch up the new guy, as absolutely none of this mess is his fault.
tim

Post by tim »

My advice would be do whatever your conscience dictates is the decent thing, but don't go mad with it. It's better to leave and have been the bigger person, than drive a fork-lift through reception.

Possibly less fun though. Enjoy that first pay packet though mate, treat yo-self.
Beany

Post by Beany »

tim wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 6:53 pm My advice would be do whatever your conscience dictates is the decent thing, but don't go mad with it. It's better to leave and have been the bigger person, than drive a fork-lift through reception.

Possibly less fun though. Enjoy that first pay packet though mate, treat yo-self.
Absolutely this.

First pay packet likely going on car MOT :lol:

I can blame the two week delay in getting the authority to bat work away and concentrate on documentation (which I literally invited then to authorise) on any documentation that doesn't get done.

Any other issues should be handleable by an appropriate hire (which they haven't done, oh well)
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

Beany wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 5:28 pm Sadly, new guy starting Monday so I'll be here. Otherwise that would be tempting.
I think someone had already mentioned it - don't write shit, let him follow you around and show him what you do. If he wishes to write it down that's up to him.
That's what a handover period is.
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
Beany

Post by Beany »

unzippy wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 10:29 pm
Beany wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 5:28 pm Sadly, new guy starting Monday so I'll be here. Otherwise that would be tempting.
I think someone had already mentioned it - don't write shit, let him follow you around and show him what you do. If he wishes to write it down that's up to him.
Sadly the complexity and nuance required to not cripple the business with a single wrong routing entry means that just isn't an option.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Beany wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 7:43 pm First pay packet likely going on car MOT :lol:

And a frikkin' party 8-)

My wife & I used to have a rule about job changes & pay rises - the first (full) pay packet that comes in (i.e. your new net income), the difference between that & the old pay packet has to be spent on taking the other person out for dinner. It worked quite well. Sometimes it was modest, a decent takeaway, one particular time it was enough for a whole weekend away.

It fell apart though when I was unemployed for a bit and my wife tried to claim that the meal budget was based on the difference between my new income, and the <zero> I was earning while unemployed, and we could go to New York.

GTF :lol:
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Beany wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 10:38 pm
unzippy wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 10:29 pm
Sadly the complexity and nuance required to not cripple the business with a single wrong routing entry means that just isn't an option.
Sounds like the owners of this tinpot business need to learn an important lesson. If they've left their business this vulnerable and haven't implemented some proper plans to protect it, then they're either dumb or don't care.

Either way, it's not your responsibility.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

From what beany’s said in this thread I guess it’s both
Beany

Post by Beany »

jamcg wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 6:34 am From what beany’s said in this thread I guess it’s both
Pretty much this, honestly.

Set up works laptop with my linux distro of choice (Manjaro - Arch for dummys) and as I can't just copy my home folder and configs from the current works laptop :lol: I'm having no end of fun trying to remember what tools and things I actually use and like.

Oh well, there are worse problems to have.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

I’m not sure how it happened, despite not knowing beany or any of you guys at all, but I feel quite invested in beany’s journey of finding a new job and hopefully happiness. It’s a funny old thing the internet. And alcohol. :lol:

Genuinely hope this works out for you beany.
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

jamcg wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 6:52 pm .. I feel quite invested in beany’s journey...
From learning to drive, to actually holding hands with a girl, to getting a proper grown up job. It's enough to bring a tear to your eye.

Good darts, Beany.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

I don't understand a single word of what he talks about as his actual work, but I like to jump in with words of encouragement. You clearly deserve better Bean!
mik

Post by mik »

Jimmy Choo wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 7:58 pm
jamcg wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 6:52 pm .. I feel quite invested in beany’s journey...
From learning to drive, to actually holding hands with a girl, to getting a proper grown up job. It's enough to bring a tear to your eye.

Good darts, Beany.
I was going to complain earlier today about stress from the sensation that I am also working Beany’s notice :?
Beany

Post by Beany »

Me holding hands with girls was only a rumour, and was never proven in court :)

Mik, we're all working my notice.
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Rich B wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 8:06 pm I don't understand a single word of what he talks about as his actual work, but I like to jump in with words of encouragement. You clearly deserve better Bean!
This
Cheers,

Ian
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

If you don’t bring donuts to us all on your last day, you’re a cunt.

Dave!
Beany

Post by Beany »

V8Granite wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 9:16 am If you don’t bring donuts to us all on your last day, you’re a cunt.

Dave!
I think your already know the answer to this, in your heart.
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

Going forward with a job application on Islay....pass me the midge spray.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Nice - don't forget the heavy rain coat, too.
Beany

Post by Beany »

New starter yesterday.

They decided to hire, in an office fully of sweary, bolshy gobshites, a quiet conservative muslim lad.

Had him up to speed on basic routing by yesterday afternoon, doing some basic mappings/showing him more advanced stuff. Quite a nice lad, he seemed to get getting it pretty well...

...he's quit today, got made a better offer. Or, he saw completely through the job spec, as to what the job actually is (glorified data entry was all he was going to be doing mostly - they didn't want him doing sysadmin stuff, which is good as he didn't have the skillset for it) and decided he could do better.

It's almost like this place don't know how to hire for technical roles.

Not my circus, not my monkeys....