Drugs, (and absurd job updates)

Beany

Drugs, (and absurd job updates)

Post by Beany »

I mean not in general, just when I take them.

Back has been fucked since Sunday. Can barely walk, at least not without ten minutes of stretching beforehand. Moving into certain positions makes me literally scream - that bad. Takes me 20 mins to get dressed, etc. Discussing in the office, almost certainly trapped nerve stuff. Ibuprofen barely takes the edge off.

Got around to a telephone appt with the GP today, been prescribed 15/500 cocodamol.

Took one tablet, not the recommended two, and thank Christ because I now feel very nauseous.

On the flip side, if I do need to be ill, I can at least get up immediately and get to the toilet - the pain is almost entirely gone. Just vague references to it that would previously leave me in outright agony.

Oh well. Rough with the smooth I suppose.

Think I'll have a half next time. I mean, they literally gave me one hundred tablets so that'll last.... The rest of my life.
Last edited by Beany on Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
mr_jon

Re: Drugs

Post by mr_jon »

Need to get it sorted dude, with exercise, strengthening and stuff. Once the immediate issue subsides. I realised long ago that the drugs don't work, they just make you worse.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

What @mr_jon says. Since I started running and doing strength and mobility workouts (The Body Coach YouTube channel has loads of stuff) I'm feeling much less stress and discomfort. Build up slowly, but it'll repay in spades.

I've not had any back ache for nearly a year. Was never bad before, but definitely made itself felt.

As an extra benefit I'm also down 4-5k without really trying, have lost nearly two inches around the middle and feel stronger. Only downside is that my wrists have slimmed a bit too, so I'll need links out of my watch strap.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Beany wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 6:58 pm I mean not in general, just when I take them.

Back has been fucked since Sunday. Can barely walk, at least not without ten minutes of stretching beforehand. Moving into certain positions makes me literally scream - that bad. Takes me 20 mins to get dressed, etc. Discussing in the office, almost certainly trapped nerve stuff. Ibuprofen barely takes the edge off.

Got around to a telephone appt with the GP today, been prescribed 15/500 cocodamol.

Took one tablet, not the recommended two, and thank Christ because I now feel very nauseous.

On the flip side, if I do need to be ill, I can at least get up immediately and get to the toilet - the pain is almost entirely gone. Just vague references to it that would previously leave me in outright agony.

Oh well. Rough with the smooth I suppose.

Think I'll have a half next time. I mean, they literally gave me one hundred tablets so that'll last.... The rest of my life.
Codeine metabolises to morphine, so be wary if you ever get offered full fat morphine as you might have some seriously nasty side effects.

If you do continue to take one tablet remember you can also take an extra paracetamol along side for extra benefit.

Heat can help so get a hot water bottle on it too
Barry

Post by Barry »

What they said, the drugs just mask the issue to get you mobile. You need to work on your core at the very least, without that you're just going to keep having issues.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

I get a dodgy back every now and then, usually when I've not done any mountain biking for a few weeks. A naproxen or similar usually helps, but its effect don't last unless I use the relief to do some exercise. Usually I go for a ride whilst the drugs are doing their thing, and I'm basically fixed.
Beany

Post by Beany »

I would have mentioned that I'm gonna self refer for physio and do some general stretching and get some more regular core exercises (sit ups and the like) because I am hyper sedantary due to the nature of the job. But I was a bit stoned and concentrating on not succumbing to the nausea :lol:

As it definitely also makes me a little woozy, but also kills the pain, I'll likely be walking into work next week till this all dies down a bit, too.

This is, by a wide margin, the absolute worst back pain I've ever had, and while I'm not gonna do couch to 5k, I'm definitely going to be working on some basic stuff.

Losing a couple of inches off the waistline wouldn't hurt either. I have literally zero interest in being ripped, but I could do with being a little less wobbly and even some light, but actual, exercise will likely make a notable difference.
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

Why not c25k? It really works, have witnessed it for loads of people. Amazing for core strength. I broke L3 at 18yo but have learnt what works and what doesn't. Pain, meh! Black belt guy who works with me slightly sliced his finger this week and nearly passed out! Bit of man-up juice rqrd.
Beany

Post by Beany »

mr_jon wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:18 pm Why not c25k? It really works, have witnessed it for loads of people. Amazing for core strength. I broke L3 at 18yo but have learnt what works and what doesn't. Pain, meh! Black belt guy who works with me slightly sliced his finger this week and nearly passed out! Bit of man-up juice rqrd.
Everyone I know - and I mean everyone - who talk about running regularly, even people younger than me, have shagged knees. Which they don't like to talk about.

Running sounds like a chumps game to me, frankly.

I'll walk quickly, I live on a fucking big hill so it'll get the heart rate up plenty.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Drugs suck….

I snapped a tooth in half the day before I travelled to Indonesia last month. Then a week into my work trip another piece broke away and I had an exposed nerve. So I was taking 6000mg of Ibuprofen and 6000mg of paracetamol which had 600mg of caffeine in. That took the edge off but as I never touch caffeine having that much gave my hand the shakes when I woke up in the morning 😂

I had the tooth done on Monday but puss was coming out and the dentist kept saying “oh you poor lamb” when she was working on it 😂

Codeine doesn’t affect me at all annoyingly.

Now on antibiotics and the same paracetamol and ibuprofen mix but without the caffeine.

Also, apparently a double shot of night nurse and a shot of rum are THE best way to calm down and get to sleep
If you have tooth pain. Told to Me by the same dentist who fixed the tooth on Monday.

Beany, walking on rough ground is an excellent way to strengthen your lower back and stomach muscles.

Dave!
Barry

Post by Barry »

A lot of knee problems stem from a poor core, that's how I learnt after my 10k's. Start with Pilates and regular walks, build from that. Start small and go from there, we all know you're not about to start marathon training. Do body weight stuff, that doesn't require any effort other than the time and motivation to do it. I have a phone reminder every day, to do my press ups 😆
Beany

Post by Beany »

Perhaps a bit of light hiking when I get a new job that pays better and let's me take actual time off - I left the office yesterday clearly in a lot of pain, hobbling, wincing and people were still asking me whether I'd do some jobs for them before I left.

I managed to resist the urge to walk to thier desks and tell them to get fucked, but mostly because that would have taken about thirty seconds to move the ten feet required to get to thier desk and the satisfaction of shouting in thier stupid fucking faces wouldn't have been worth the pain.

Pilates is something that keeps being mentioned, so I'll have to look into that.

In the meantime though, I have to go fuss my neighbours cat and make sure he has food and water. At least now it won't take me two minutes to walk the forty feet to there, nor will it take me a full ten minutes to get dressed enough to do that :lol: and that's just from half a tab, and it's not made me feel ill or stoned, so that's good, too.

His driveway is gravel, does that count as rough ground?
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

Beany wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:18 am when I get a new job that pays better and let's me take actual time off
I say this with not a shred of cuntiness, when are you going to do that?
John

Post by John »

A friend of mine has suffered badly with his back going through the 15 minutes to get out of bed thing. He is very positive about the benefits of Pilates.
Beany

Post by Beany »

240PP wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:27 am
Beany wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:18 am when I get a new job that pays better and let's me take actual time off
How long is a shitty, stressed piece of string? :lol:

Having bad psychological times with massive self doubt, but I should probably pop a pill and just wang some CVs out there really.

My 'supportive' boss has started demonstrating that he's not actually all that (for reasons too complex to get into) so I'm really starting to feel the need to GTFO.

Did some Pilates stuff this morning, and it's definitely made a difference.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Beany wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:38 pm
240PP wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:27 am
How long is a shitty, stressed piece of string? :lol:

Having bad psychological times with massive self doubt, but I should probably pop a pill and just wang some CVs out there really.

My 'supportive' boss has started demonstrating that he's not actually all that (for reasons too complex to get into) so I'm really starting to feel the need to GTFO.

Did some Pilates stuff this morning, and it's definitely made a difference.
Yoga is great and really helped me, and I too can vouch for Couch to 5k. It was a revelation for me as a lazy fucker that sit on his arse all day. Huge benefits and zero problems with my knees 2yrs later. All this has been a massive help to my back issues and has stopped the altogether.

Get off your arse Beany 😉
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Again with the greatest respect as I know this is a complex business....

Beany wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 7:52 am
mr_jon wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:18 pm Why not c25k? It really works, have witnessed it for loads of people. Amazing for core strength. I broke L3 at 18yo but have learnt what works and what doesn't. Pain, meh! Black belt guy who works with me slightly sliced his finger this week and nearly passed out! Bit of man-up juice rqrd.
Everyone I know - and I mean everyone - who talk about running regularly, even people younger than me, have shagged knees. Which they don't like to talk about.

Running sounds like a chumps game to me, frankly.

I'll walk quickly, I live on a fucking big hill so it'll get the heart rate up plenty.
Statistically not true on the shagged knees front Beany:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.thegua ... s-debunked

Given it sounds like you have similar issues with mental health to me, I cannot recommend running enough. Every time I run is like a giant reset button that has stopped me getting back 'on the meds' (TM Broccers) for some years now.

I believe everyone on this forum has been telling you to exercise for years now mate, some of us know what we're talking about honest :mrgreen:
Beany

Post by Beany »

Yeah, but it sounds like hard work, and fuck me I'm not up for that.

(Honestly, running is physically extremely uncomfortable because of the various wobbly bits that bounce around - if I drop a bit of fat it's something I might look into if it makes maintaining core strength simpler)
Beany

Post by Beany »

A move which is really helping us one I call 'air humping a poltergeist' where you roll your pelvis 'out' and then on the return, roll it back as far as you can and gently lift if possible.

I go from being in pain in the return roll with my hips still on the ground, to lifting up and holding for thirty seconds at a time after about twenty of them.

It's a lot easier when you don't have a cat sitting on your chest though :lol:
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

Beany wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:33 pm Yeah, but it sounds like hard work, and fuck me I'm not up for that.

(Honestly, running is physically extremely uncomfortable because of the various wobbly bits that bounce around - if I drop a bit of fat it's something I might look into if it makes maintaining core strength simpler)
“You can’t outrun a bad diet”. If you want to lose a bit of initial timber before starting to exercise, look there first.