People that indicate to return from an overtake

mik

Re: People that indicate to return from an overtake

Post by mik »

McSwede wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:11 am
mik wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:50 pm I click this off every time I get in Mrs mik’s e-tron, but you can’t switch it off permanently :evil:
BMW have that sorted. One little button next to the hazard warning lights. Press it and you can configure the safety systems and permanently switch lane keep assist off. It truly is a hateful thing!

Audi is just a click on the stalk, but it’s every time you “start” the fooker, and you don’t want to forget. As the E-Tron has some autonomous driving capabilities, it tries to take over the steering if it thinks you have dozed off, when actually you are just cutting a corner on a well-sighted country road. The dick.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

mik wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:26 am
McSwede wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:11 am
mik wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:50 pm I click this off every time I get in Mrs mik’s e-tron, but you can’t switch it off permanently :evil:
BMW have that sorted. One little button next to the hazard warning lights. Press it and you can configure the safety systems and permanently switch lane keep assist off. It truly is a hateful thing!

Audi is just a click on the stalk, but it’s every time you “start” the fooker, and you don’t want to forget. As the E-Tron has some autonomous driving capabilities, it tries to take over the steering if it thinks you have dozed off, when actually you are just cutting a corner on a well-sighted country road. The dick.
It's a horrible sensation. In my Dad's C5 aircross it has to be turned off every time. Annoying.
mik

Post by mik »

Indeed. First time it happened I was cutting a corner as per the scenario above - about 5DegC, damp road, doing around 60 and placing my offside wheels about a metre over the white line at the apex. The car decided “nein” and steered me to the left. I felt the steering go light (as it was taking over) and thought I had sudden massive understeer on an icey patch….. on the upside it was a pretty good Adrenalin rush.
scotta

Post by scotta »

Does the indicating back in after the overtake have any bearing on whether the overtaken shows their displeasure at being overtaken by A - Not dipping their main beam B - Flashing their headlights and making the wanker sign?
MikeHunt

Post by MikeHunt »

scotta wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:40 am Does the indicating back in after the overtake have any bearing on whether the overtaken shows their displeasure at being overtaken by A - Not dipping their main beam B - Flashing their headlights and making the wanker sign?
Not when your in a BMW :lol:
Jimexpl

Post by Jimexpl »

mik wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:37 am Indeed. First time it happened I was cutting a corner as per the scenario above - about 5DegC, damp road, doing around 60 and placing my offside wheels about a metre over the white line at the apex. The car decided “nein” and steered me to the left. I felt the steering go light (as it was taking over) and thought I had sudden massive understeer on an icey patch….. on the upside it was a pretty good Adrenalin rush.
The only time I see any benefit in it is if you were to doze at the wheel, but if you have any sense you should have pulled over before that happened.
I did some mild off roading in a rental Escalade in Canada (about 40 miles on dirt tracks) and it kept trying to put me back into the ruts that I was intentionally avoiding!

Emergency braking has more value, but early versions of it are crap, and even the most recent models still get confused.
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

Choosing whether to use an indicator based on an assumption about the other person's thought processes sounds like the worst way to decide if it's the right time to use an indicator. I'll happily indicate whenever I'm manoeuvring, regardless of what assumptions could be made about my intentions.
mik

Post by mik »

Gavster wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:07 am I’ll happily indicate whenever I'm manoeuvring, regardless of what assumptions could be made about my intentions.
Do you consider returning to your lane following an overtake to be manoeuvring?
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

In the context of this thread, yes.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Are you still distinguishing between single carriageway overtakes and changing lanes on a motorway? When overtaking on a single carriageway the manoeuvre is pretty much a straight line back into your lane so indicating is pointless. Swapping lanes on a motorway, it shows that’s your intention not just an aimless drift.
mik

Post by mik »

Who? Me?
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

mik wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:05 pmWho? Me?
Yes, you. You who started this thread.
mik

Post by mik »

Jobbo wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:08 pm
mik wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:05 pmWho? Me?
Yes, you. You who started this thread.
I don’t think I ever did. (Make a differentiation I mean. I did indeed start this thread obvs).

First thread responder made the differentiation. A Mr J.Obbo I believe.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Sorry, I do mean failing to distinguish.
mik

Post by mik »

I’m happy to consider all opinions MrJ. It is Christmas after all.

But personally no, I don’t indicate to return from an overtake on a single lane road. Or a a return from an overtake on a multi-lane road. Cos they are both overtakes. It’s (fucking) obvious I’m going to return. :D
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I do not indicate back to the left after a normal overtake, as of course I’m going to go back to the left lane where you’re supposed to be. Normal expected behaviour which has no effect on any other road user.

I will indicate if I’m fitting back in between cars or if returning to lane 2 from lane 3 and there is a car in lane 1, or if doing an exaggerated sweep from lane 3 to lane 1 across the front of a moron cruising at 58mph in the middle lane of an empty 3 lane road.
Cheers, Harry
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I just undertake them if they’re going below the speed limit. Sometimes with a middle finger :mrgreen:
How about not having a sig at all?
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

integrale_evo wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:26 am Normal expected behaviour

That was his first mistake.[/Sheriff John Bunnell]
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

It seems almost obtuse to argue that there's a case for not using an indicator when crossing the white lines in the middle of the road, regardless of the direction. Of course, you might find pushing an indictor incredibly physically challenging, or lack the mental dexterity to do it, but you shouldn't really be driving if that's the case :lol:

For example, consider this situation. There's someone further ahead who you can't see, and they're pulling out of a side turning onto the road that you're performing this overate on. At a glance, they might think you're travelling in the opposite direction, it would make sense, given what side of the road you're on. By indicating, they get a warning that something's happening to the position of your car on the road, and in this case, it might change their understanding about your direction of travel.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Gavster wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:53 am It seems almost obtuse to argue...
It's been 20 years Gav! If we're anything on here - we're obtuse...

..no we're not... etc...