People that indicate to return from an overtake

mik

People that indicate to return from an overtake

Post by mik »

Be it one, two, three - however many indicator flashes you want (get your own thread Rich).

As indicators are supposed to indicate your intention, do you really think the overtakee wasn’t expecting you to return to the left lane? “Oh here comes a McLaren overtaking me - I guess they’ll continue the rest of their journey on the wrong side of the road now” :roll:

The sole caveat is of course where you may be picking off a few cars at a time in a row of traffic, in which case indicating your intent to occupy the gap someone else was already maintaining to the vehicle in front is acceptable. “Hi - I intend to cut you up”.

The second sole caveat is where you are on teh motorway and you are on cruise control, sailing past a slower moving vehicle who then speeds up - leaving you “stuck”’out in an overtaking lane. In which case “Hi - I am moving back to the left now whilst muttering that your are clearly incapable of maintaining a constant fucking speed (yc)”.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Re: People that indicate to return from an overtake

Post by Jobbo »

On a single carriageway road, I agree entirely. On a multi-lane road then I'd expect someone to indicate to change lanes, so pulling back in after overtaking requires it still.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

To summarise - you think it's weird, except in situations where you don't think it's weird.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Motorways are different up there.
mik

Post by mik »

Rich B wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:31 pm To summarise - you think it's weird, except in situations where you don't think it's weird.
Yes.
mik

Post by mik »

Jobbo wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:27 pm On a single carriageway road, I agree entirely. On a multi-lane road then I'd expect someone to indicate to change lanes, so pulling back in after overtaking requires it still.
So if you are doing 70mph (occifer) and some CRAZY overtakes you at 80mph, you expect them to indicate after passing you to let you know they are moving safely into your lane? :?
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

I think you're overthinking things Mik. 😂😂
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

McSwede wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:04 pm I think you're overthinking things Mik. 😂😂
did he indicate before overthinking?
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Rich B wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:04 pm
McSwede wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:04 pm I think you're overthinking things Mik. 😂😂
He indicated that he was overthinking. Me having to tell you that is as heinous a crime as indicating after an indicated move has been both indicated and almost completed 😂
Last edited by McSwede on Wed Dec 15, 2021 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

I indicate in both situations. You'd hope that the overtakee is indeed in possession of the kind of logic @mik seeks, but I'm not convinced based on the levels of driving skill on display.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Can't comment on this as I've never been overtaken ;)
How about not having a sig at all?
mik

Post by mik »

Rich B wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:04 pm
I flashed at you three times before posting this. Via webcam.
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

I also use it in a passive aggressive manner after overtaking a middle lane hogger and then slowly moving back to the left hand lane
Cheers,

Ian
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

On a single carriageway, with cars coming towards you I always indicate. It stops the I are flashing from someone who thinks you pulled out to have a head on collision. You could leave a huge safety margin and you still get the odd flasher.

I do it when overtaking lorries as it annoys me when they flash you with 10 gazillion gigawatts of main beam and roof light as they bravely let you in.

Dave!
Barry

Post by Barry »

I use a rare power that I try to keep hidden, I apply common sense to each overtake as to whether it needs an indication or not.

Number of lanes, level of traffic, am I being passive aggressive to a MLM, is it dark..
Marv

Post by Marv »

One for driving at night...oi, twat, are you flashing your headlights at me, or is it this shitty bumpy road?
Oui, je suis un motard.
MikeHunt

Post by MikeHunt »

BMW have cunningly added lane control assistant to my car which means that BMW drivers now need to indicate when driving at more than 40mph as failing to do so kicks in the car wrestling with you as you cross a white line. Sly.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

MikeHunt wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:34 pm BMW have cunningly added lane control assistant to my car which means that BMW drivers now need to indicate when driving at more than 40mph as failing to do so kicks in the car wrestling with you as you cross a white line. Sly.
Or you switch it off permanently and never worry about it again 😁
mik

Post by mik »

I click this off every time I get in Mrs mik’s e-tron, but you can’t switch it off permanently :evil:
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

mik wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:50 pm I click this off every time I get in Mrs mik’s e-tron, but you can’t switch it off permanently :evil:
BMW have that sorted. One little button next to the hazard warning lights. Press it and you can configure the safety systems and permanently switch lane keep assist off. It truly is a hateful thing!