People that indicate to return from an overtake

Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Re: People that indicate to return from an overtake

Post by Jobbo »

Gavster wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:53 am Of course, you might find pushing an indictor incredibly physically challenging, or lack the mental dexterity to do it, but you shouldn't really be driving if that's the case :lol:
The words of someone who is selling their BMW to buy a Zafira :cry:
mik

Post by mik »

Gavster wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:53 am It seems almost obtuse to argue that there's a case for not using an indicator when crossing the white lines in the middle of the road, regardless of the direction. Of course, you might find pushing an indictor incredibly physically challenging, or lack the mental dexterity to do it, but you shouldn't really be driving if that's the case :lol:

For example, consider this situation. There's someone further ahead who you can't see, and they're pulling out of a side turning onto the road that you're performing this overate on. At a glance, they might think you're travelling in the opposite direction, it would make sense, given what side of the road you're on. By indicating, they get a warning that something's happening to the position of your car on the road, and in this case, it might change their understanding about your direction of travel.
If I can’t see them then either I am overtaking on a blind bend like an idiot, or they are far enough ahead that I will have completed the overtake and returned - as expected - to my side of the road by the time I get near them.

Rospa and AADrivetech both train you not to over-signal, and encourage the thought process of “who are you indicating to, and why?”
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

mik wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:30 pm Rospa and AADrivetech both train you not to over-signal, and encourage the thought process of “who are you indicating to, and why?”
On a motorway there tend to be many other vehicles around you - not necessarily that close, not necessarily going at a similar speed to you, but if they're in your blind spot some way back it may still be useful to them to know you're changing lanes before they see you do so.

Who are you indicating to? The people who may not be Rospa trained and who assume I'd otherwise not pull back in.
Why? So they know in advance what you are doing, so as not to confuse them.
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

mik wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:30 pm If I can’t see them then either I am overtaking on a blind bend like an idiot, or they are far enough ahead that I will have completed the overtake and returned - as expected - to my side of the road by the time I get near them.

Rospa and AADrivetech both train you not to over-signal, and encourage the thought process of “who are you indicating to, and why?”
They're in a convertible with the roof down, positioned behind a grassy knoll whilst exiting from a concealed entrance. The grassy knoll is high enough to cover the body of the car, but the driver is able to see over it. If AADrivetach or Rospa ever question it, you can just tell them that you're accounting for the people hiding behind grassy knolls, mounds and hillocks, and hopefully you can work out a way to do that without sound like a JFK conspiracy theorist :lol:
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

Rich B wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:01 pm
Gavster wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:53 am It seems almost obtuse to argue...
It's been 20 years Gav! If we're anything on here - we're obtuse...

..no we're not... etc...
That's why nobody really leaves, everyone hangs around in the hope of the fleeting glory that comes with being able to prove someone else wrong :lol:
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Gavster wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:49 pm
Rich B wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:01 pm
Gavster wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:53 am It seems almost obtuse to argue...
It's been 20 years Gav! If we're anything on here - we're obtuse...

..no we're not... etc...
That's why nobody really leaves, everyone hangs around in the hope of the fleeting glory that comes with being able to prove someone else wrong :lol:
exactly, the forum would have been a very dull and short lived place if everyone just agreed!
mik

Post by mik »

Gavster wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:44 pm
mik wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:30 pm If I can’t see them then either I am overtaking on a blind bend like an idiot, or they are far enough ahead that I will have completed the overtake and returned - as expected - to my side of the road by the time I get near them.

They're in a convertible with the roof down, positioned behind a grassy knoll whilst exiting from a concealed entrance. The grassy knoll is high enough to cover the body of the car, but the driver is able to see over it. If AADrivetach or Rospa ever question it, you can just tell them that you're accounting for the people hiding behind grassy knolls, mounds and hillocks, and hopefully you can work out a way to do that without sound like a JFK conspiracy theorist :lol:
But what if it really was JFK, having faked his own death and managing to live the quiet life in Cirencester for the last 58years, unaware that Schwarzenegger had been sent back from the future to take him out with a snipers bullet at that exact moment (before he sired a child (90% human, 10% dolphin) with secret young lover Rebecca Adlington)?

Unfortunately Arnie had neglected to account for the (robust) fart expelled from the arse of a Stag perilously close to the trajectory of the bullet, which would have meant the bullet passed through the uprights of the passenger headrest, but the distraction from the pointless flash of your indicator advising the overtakee of no new news whatsoever caused him to flinch, putting the bullet back on track for a direct hit in between the eyes of JFK.

What then?
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Did the stag indicate before farting?
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

He winked/squinted/Anne Robinsonned when squeezing the fart out.
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

As long as the fart wasn’t averted by turbulence caused by the flapping wings of an unladen swallow then I can see your point.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Is this the same as indicating to turn at a junction when there is no-one around?

Sometimes I indicate left after an overtake. Sometimes I don't.
Sometimes I indicate at a junction when no-one's around. Sometimes I don't.
Sometimes I indicate right before overtake. Sometimes I don't.
Left over crest; tightens.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?
How about not having a sig at all?
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

Mito Man wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:42 pm If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?
Does the pope shit in the woods?
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Gavster wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:15 pm
Mito Man wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:42 pm If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?
Does the pope shit in the woods?
Depends if there are any bears about.

This bit should probably be in the mental health thread; one of the groups I attended (which did me far, far more harm than good) was run by a militant feminist. Now, I'm not sure if things went the way they did because I was the only male there or if it was just me, I was there to gain understanding, learn things, and if you're not sure ask questions. "If a man is in a forest and there are no women around, is he still wrong?" didn't go down well though. Not that I expected it to really but I thought it might have gone down better for me than a militant feminist :cry:
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Yesterday, while on a single carriageway with no immediate junctions or lay-bys, while in the left hand lane I indicated left with no intention of stopping.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

I’ve realised that I’m indicating after overtakes more now, just because I know it annoys @mik
MikeHunt

Post by MikeHunt »

I drove my wife’s EQV last night, which reminded me of this thread. When changing lanes without indicating, then merc has a really subtle haptic feedback through the steering wheel, probably the best implementation I have seen.
mik

Post by mik »

That’s lane departure warning.

First thing I switch off on any car that has it.

The e-tron has a level of autonomous driving linked to the lane departure system. On the motorway it works pretty well - in combination with the adaptive cruise it’ll drive you along quite nicely. Off motorway it is awful - pulling at the steering if you cross the centreline to smoothe out a bend. Utterly hateful.
Barry

Post by Barry »

mik wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:17 pm That’s lane departure warning.

First thing I switch off on any car that has it.

The e-tron has a level of autonomous driving linked to the lane departure system. On the motorway it works pretty well - in combination with the adaptive cruise it’ll drive you along quite nicely. Off motorway it is awful - pulling at the steering if you cross the centreline to smoothe out a bend. Utterly hateful.
Ioniq does the same. I have a routine of buttons upon start up, that being one of them. Then I have to switch on the auto handbrake, every single time you start the car. Gnn.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

My Volvo V90 did the same but you could turn off the lane departure warning permanently. The full active cruise control allowed you to turn it back on for fairly good self-driving - just needed you to keep touching the wheel and press the accelerator to start moving again if the traffic came to a complete halt and the auto parking brake applied itself.