Eating > Working

Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Eating > Working

Post by Gavster »

I'm working through a load of client project work today and the life-sapping ennui of working to someone else's specifications means that I am constantly constructing escape routes from my desk by creating urgent reasons to eat food. I managed to contrive that lunch was quite necessary by 12.05pm and afternoon cake was fetched from the bakery and consumed well before 3pm. Dinner is already knocking quite loudly on my consciousness and it's only four o-clock. And the client work needs at least another 2-3+ hours by which point I'll be running out of reasons to eat food.

Philosophically this is not really a moan, because it's entirely logical that eating food is an enormously more enjoyable use of time than working for other people. In conclusion, eating is far better than working.
ZedLeg

Re: Eating > Working

Post by ZedLeg »

Glad, I’m not the only one who does this.

I’ve been working all weekend on a project that needs to be finished by like 10am today. I’ve been eating like a king.

Even decided that I had to go out yesterday for nice coffee beans as the Taylor’s ones in the house weren’t cutting it :lol:
An absolute unit
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

I've been at war with this habit for a few years now. It hit its peak a few years back when the work canteen was moved to be next to our offices and all you could smell every morning walking in was frying bacon and a coffee and choccy bar was literraly 20m away. Since rapidly expanding beyond even my own fairly low standards of fatarsedness I decided to make a change a made a concious effort to resist temptation. It's been pretty shit actually, I love food and it's been a guilt free pleasure for the first three decades of my life. :(
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

ZedLeg wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:08 am Glad, I’m not the only one who does this.

I’ve been working all weekend on a project that needs to be finished by like 10am today. I’ve been eating like a king.

Even decided that I had to go out yesterday for nice coffee beans as the Taylor’s ones in the house weren’t cutting it :lol:
Sounds like the classic mindfuel gambit, it's important to eat well if we want our brain to work well. I'm all over that one like a rash, that's why I made a special trip to the trendy bakery on the other side of town.

As for coffee beans, I wouldn't want to create a reason to stay at home, but I've been ordering from these guys solely for the last 18 month and can't get enough of them https://whiterosecoffeeroasters.co.uk. Very nice coffee from an amazing range and brilliant prices, especially when the hip London roasters near me charge £30-40/kg. I drink quite a lot so order 2kg at a time, currently on Colombian Garzon Huila Arabica (£10/kg) and Rwandan Blueberry Candyfloss (£26/kg). Both are absolutely lovely, I am particularly a fan of Colombian coffee as I lived there for a while back in 2019 and had a family roasters behind my apartment.
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

RobYob wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:59 am I've been at war with this habit for a few years now. It hit its peak a few years back when the work canteen was moved to be next to our offices and all you could smell every morning walking in was frying bacon and a coffee and choccy bar was literraly 20m away. Since rapidly expanding beyond even my own fairly low standards of fatarsedness I decided to make a change a made a concious effort to resist temptation. It's been pretty shit actually, I love food and it's been a guilt free pleasure for the first three decades of my life. :(
Sounds like the famous Google stone :lol: everyone puts on a stone in weight when they start working there. I kinda relate from the other end of things, because I had been keeping myself in very trim condition and the amount of restriction and carefully monitored eating required to do so is very onerous and boring. I seem to naturally enjoy eating around 110% of my daily calorie requirement :lol:
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

I cbf counting calories so I've just made myself the rule that during workdays I can only have unprocessed food before midday and then it's a free-for-all after. It does occasionally result in a toasted cheese, ham, egg sandwitch at 12:01 but at least I've felt like I've earned my heart attack on a plate!
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Gavster wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:17 am
ZedLeg wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:08 am Glad, I’m not the only one who does this.

Sounds like the classic mindfuel gambit, it's important to eat well if we want our brain to work well. I'm all over that one like a rash, that's why I made a special trip to the trendy bakery on the other side of town.

As for coffee beans, I wouldn't want to create a reason to stay at home, but I've been ordering from these guys solely for the last 18 month and can't get enough of them https://whiterosecoffeeroasters.co.uk. Very nice coffee from an amazing range and brilliant prices, especially when the hip London roasters near me charge £30-40/kg. I drink quite a lot so order 2kg at a time, currently on Colombian Garzon Huila Arabica (£10/kg) and Rwandan Blueberry Candyfloss (£26/kg). Both are absolutely lovely, I am particularly a fan of Colombian coffee as I lived there for a while back in 2019 and had a family roasters behind my apartment.

I've been getting stuff from a wee coffee shop down the road that's roasted in town. Can't remember the name but it's £8 for 250g of beans so could do with looking for a more cost effective bulk option. The area I recently moved to has loads of decent coffee shops and bakeries. very dangerous tbh :lol:
An absolute unit
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

It seems that the moment it's a small roaster they immediately charge £7+ for 250g/£25+ per kg. White Rose are the only small roasters who charge an honest range of prices for roasted beans.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Gavster wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:17 am

Thanks for the recommendation. I've messaged them for some ideas and will order some 250g bags and give them a whirl.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I’ve signed up for the kilo bag random sub, works out cheaper than supermarket beans.

Hope you’re getting a commission Gav.
An absolute unit
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

If anyone has slightly lower expectations (!) and needs something to chug on a regular basis, try Amazon's Solimo beans @ £15 for 2kg. It's what I drink day-to-day.

McSwede

Post by McSwede »

My order

Gavster

Post by Gavster »

Hope you enjoy them! I definitely should have lined up an affiliate deal :lol:
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

All the coffee is grown on an allotment in Brighouse too. Can't beat local produce!! 😉
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

That is very cheap!

I've just checked and a 1kg bag of Brazil Fazenda Pantano Yellow Bourbon (for example) from the one we've been buying from in Manchester for years now is about double the price at c£22/kg

I'd love to see the colour of this White Rose stuff once ground if you have any pics Gav?
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Do you lot actually sleep after these? :lol:

This does me as its no faff
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Caffeine is my last vice :lol:

Oddly, I tend to sleep more regularly if I have a couple of cups of coffee a day.
An absolute unit
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

I gave up caffeine a few months ago. I had a few weeks of withdrawal symptoms (despite only ever having no more than 3 cups of instant per day) and was disappointed to not finally experience the great awakening that the Internet promised me would happen with a life caffeine free!

I still have trouble getting to sleep but I’m sleeping a lot deeper once I’m there though. Dreaming every night.
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:51 am That is very cheap!

I've just checked and a 1kg bag of Brazil Fazenda Pantano Yellow Bourbon (for example) from the one we've been buying from in Manchester for years now is about double the price at c£22/kg

I'd love to see the colour of this White Rose stuff once ground if you have any pics Gav?
TBF, £22/kg is pretty good still. I use a bean to cup machine so no pics, but in general all of their coffee is great VFM, I really like their Kenyan AA as well.
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

Broccers wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:09 am Do you lot actually sleep after these? :lol:

This does me as its no faff
I drink espresso so there's less caffeine than filter coffee/pourover. Besides, it's just like alcohol, you build a tolerance, so after a while it's fine to have several coffees a day with no sleep impact. I do keep a 5pm coffee curfew though, just to be safe :D