Eating > Working

Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Re: Eating > Working

Post by Gavster »

240PP wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:46 am I gave up caffeine a few months ago. I had a few weeks of withdrawal symptoms (despite only ever having no more than 3 cups of instant per day) and was disappointed to not finally experience the great awakening that the Internet promised me would happen with a life caffeine free!

I still have trouble getting to sleep but I’m sleeping a lot deeper once I’m there though. Dreaming every night.
Caffeine is one of the greatest scientifically proven productivity hacks the world has ever created. It's totally brilliant for working and has very few side effects, except for stopping dreams, as you discovered. I've quit coffee on several occasions and finally realised that it's a complete waste of time because I'll be back on it within a few weeks/months, because it's awesome.

The last time I quit was on the advice of a Shaman in the Peruvian Amazon rainforest to cleanse my body before drinking Ayahuasca for 10 days and since then, I've not stopped chugging the stuff. I obviously gained clarity at that point :lol:
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

My delivery arrived yesterday and I've had a few drinks now of the Cattle Market espresso and it's lovely.
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Sundayjumper wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:32 pm If anyone has slightly lower expectations (!) and needs something to chug on a regular basis, try Amazon's Solimo beans @ £15 for 2kg. It's what I drink day-to-day.

That's what I'm drinking right now. It's much better than it has any right to be.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

McSwede wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:22 am My delivery arrived yesterday and I've had a few drinks now of the Cattle Market espresso and it's lovely.
🙌
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Gavster wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:15 pm I'm working through a load of client project work today and the life-sapping ennui of working to someone else's specifications means that I am constantly constructing escape routes from my desk by creating urgent reasons to eat food. I managed to contrive that lunch was quite necessary by 12.05pm and afternoon cake was fetched from the bakery and consumed well before 3pm. Dinner is already knocking quite loudly on my consciousness and it's only four o-clock. And the client work needs at least another 2-3+ hours by which point I'll be running out of reasons to eat food.

Philosophically this is not really a moan, because it's entirely logical that eating food is an enormously more enjoyable use of time than working for other people. In conclusion, eating is far better than working.
I have an odd relationship with food... well perhaps not odd but unhealthy. You get into a vicious cycle of having something sweet to give you a bit of a sugar boost, you rapidly peak and trough, then you are back to square one and after another one. I've largely broken this when I started doing calorie counting as that showed me what a false economy it was. I still wind up doing it during a stressful day though.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Finally got my first bag from White Rose after some delivery issues.

Ended up being this one

https://whiterosecoffeeroasters.co.uk/ ... ted-coffee

Pretty good, a darker roast than I’d really like but impressive for the price.
An absolute unit
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

I know what you mean about the roast, I prefer a lighter roast and often their coffee is slightly on the darker side.

The owner seems to be a nice guy, we could do a forum group buy on a medium roast 5kg :)
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Jimmy Choo wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:46 am
Sundayjumper wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:32 pm If anyone has slightly lower expectations (!) and needs something to chug on a regular basis, try Amazon's Solimo beans @ £15 for 2kg. It's what I drink day-to-day.
That's what I'm drinking right now. It's much better than it has any right to be.
I'm glad someone has backed me up on this :D I was slightly concerned that I'd outed myself as a pleb that drinks cheap coffee.
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Sundayjumper wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:01 am
Jimmy Choo wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:46 am
I'm glad someone has backed me up on this :D I was slightly concerned that I'd outed myself as a pleb that drinks cheap coffee.
I'm sure I make terrible coffee that is so strong that my body will keep going for two months after I die. :lol:

It comes down to what you like. I can't stand Costa coffee or most instant these days.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I'm not a fan of any chain coffee shop coffee tbh. Comes down to roast again, they all roast the shit out of the beans to homogenise the taste so you just end up with bitter burnt coffee.
An absolute unit
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Nero's alright. But otherwise, yeah. I've got too used to my Mancoco - the flavours are unreal. But then they're usually an ochre sort of colour when ground so very far from a dark roast.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Gavster wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:54 am
240PP wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:46 am I gave up caffeine a few months ago. I had a few weeks of withdrawal symptoms (despite only ever having no more than 3 cups of instant per day) and was disappointed to not finally experience the great awakening that the Internet promised me would happen with a life caffeine free!

I still have trouble getting to sleep but I’m sleeping a lot deeper once I’m there though. Dreaming every night.
Caffeine is one of the greatest scientifically proven productivity hacks the world has ever created. It's totally brilliant for working and has very few side effects, except for stopping dreams, as you discovered. I've quit coffee on several occasions and finally realised that it's a complete waste of time because I'll be back on it within a few weeks/months, because it's awesome.

The last time I quit was on the advice of a Shaman in the Peruvian Amazon rainforest to cleanse my body before drinking Ayahuasca for 10 days and since then, I've not stopped chugging the stuff. I obviously gained clarity at that point :lol:
I’d say a lack of dreams is a huge negative, a lack of restorative sleep I think is more harmful than most other things people do regularly.

Dave!
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I drink 5 or 6 cups of black coffee per day...

But I have a Tassimo machine so in reality, I'm probably consuming less caffeine than Broccers ... :lol:

This is borne out by the fact I dream every night
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I thought everyone dreams multiple times per night. If you say you don’t dream it just means you can’t remember it.
How about not having a sig at all?
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I think you only 'remember' the last 30 mins of dreaming...
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

V8Granite wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:38 pm
Gavster wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:54 am

I’d say a lack of dreams is a huge negative, a lack of restorative sleep I think is more harmful than most other things people do regularly.

Dave!
I still sleep well, often 9 hours a night :) it's very important
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

I've finished the 250g bag of "Spire". Didn't really enjoy that one so won't be buying again. New bag to try tomorrow.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

McSwede wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:59 pm I've finished the 250g bag of "Spire". Didn't really enjoy that one so won't be buying again. New bag to try tomorrow.
Following on from this I have finished the Shibden blend and Brasil Nut bags. Both were great so will be getting replenished. 👍
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

All this talk of dreams but what fuels the nightmares?
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

nuttinnew wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:21 pm All this talk of dreams but what fuels the nightmares?
Cheese/evening time combo. Do you know nothing? 😂😂