Marathon / Half Marathon

Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Marathon / Half Marathon

Post by Gavster »

A friend is running a HALF marathon on Sunday and they only refer to it as a marathon on social media.

"Getting ready for my marathon"

"I'm running a marathon this year"

"Sponsor me to run a marathon"

Obviously it's aggrandising her own efforts in an attempt to look good, which is one thing, however, running a full marathon is also a completely different kettle of fish to running a half. Marathons don't even begin to get hard until mile 15 onwards, by which point the half marathon runners are wrapped up and going home, so referring to a half as if it were the full monty is also an affront to a full marathon runner. I guess that's why most seasoned runners just call them 'halfs'.
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Re: Marathon / Half Marathon

Post by 240PP »

Needs calling out IMO. Tell her you really respect her for running 26.2 miles. Report back.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

'Her' nuffsaid
Shlergen

Post by Shlergen »

Having done a FULL HALF MARATHON I can concur it's not the same. I have no inclination to train to run a full.

Half can be done at a fairly decent pace with a few months training, a marathon not.
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

Chop chop, get on and do one?

Anything above 3:30 dont report back.
Shlergen

Post by Shlergen »

mr_jon wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:19 pm Chop chop, get on and do one?

Anything above 3:30 dont report back.
Button can do it in 2hrs 52 and he's not exactly fast is he :D Anything sub 4 is a good effort in my book.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Given how road runners are about these things, I'm amazed nobody has called her out already on it. No shame in doing a half marathon either.
Cheers,

Mike.
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

Exactly, doing a half is bloody awesome, regardless of what time you finish in, just don't call it something it ain't.
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

I run five miles a day six days a week but I’m not at a level of fitness to do a half and it would take a lot of training to get me there. 26 miles, no fucking way.

Claiming ‘marathon’ for only doing a half is like some kind of stolen valor 😂
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I run 8km most days of the week which is near enough 5 miles and easy enough. I set that limit myself as I don’t want my body to be worn out like a wizard’s sleeve by the time I’m 40 :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

The incidence of running injury is correlated with the running economy and vertical impact of your running style, if you want your body to be in good shape at 40 them make sure you're technique is good - low ground impact, fast foot speed (~120 steps per minute) and keep those hips level, make sure your upper body isn't bouncing up and down.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Gavster wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:45 pm Marathons don't even begin to get hard until mile 15 onwards
I think we have very different ideas about what constitutes "hard".
Banal Vapid Platitudes
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

nuttinnew wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:02 pm Image
They did do some retro packaged snickers in marathon wrappers recently, I did think that they probably are technically half marathon’s given the size reduction :lol:
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

I didn't know that, both the packaging and size, but I make you right in your conclusion :D

Gavster, you need to plaster her media with MARA, plus "I'll sponsor you £x to run a marathon!!! :D" followed by "I've paid you your £x/2!!! :D".
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Gavster wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:27 pm The incidence of running injury is correlated with the running economy and vertical impact of your running style, if you want your body to be in good shape at 40 them make sure you're technique is good - low ground impact, fast foot speed (~120 steps per minute) and keep those hips level, make sure your upper body isn't bouncing up and down.
So long strides, training with a backpack and feeling the shudder with each step is bad ?

3:26 mins as a big fat fatty when I did my half so anyone trying to sneakily pretend it’s a full one needs an education 😂

Dave!
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

120 strides per min is very low, 150-170 much more typical.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

150 sounded crazy high but I’ve just counted and I’m at 156 strides per minute. Certified professional here :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

mr_jon wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:42 pm 120 strides per min is very low, 150-170 much more typical.
Oh yeah I got that wrong 😂 my notes actually say 180 per minute. It makes sure you don’t over stride
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Gavster wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:27 pm The incidence of running injury is correlated with the running economy and vertical impact of your running style, if you want your body to be in good shape at 40 them make sure you're technique is good - low ground impact, fast foot speed (~120 steps per minute) and keep those hips level, make sure your upper body isn't bouncing up and down.
Switching from heel striking was the best move I ever made injury-wise.... says the man who is currently on a max of 3 miles a day...
Cheers,

Mike.