The Mercun Education System

mik

The Mercun Education System

Post by mik »

Not the system itself, but the fact that - unlike the rest of the world who use the mystical concept of age - Mercuns invariably tell you how old their kids are using the Mercun Education System.

"Yeah I have one in Year 11, my daughter is a Sophomore at Junior High, and my older son is a Freshman in his Senior Class at the Tech Business College - he got the Ivy Trophy this year!"

That sentence undoubtedly makes no sense, as I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT!
V8Granite

Re: The Mercun Education System

Post by V8Granite »

Also how they buy a 2022 car in 2021.

Dave!
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

That's not just a USA thing, is it? People in the UK often tell me their kids are in year 9 or something. I vaguely understand when they say GCSE or A-levels but otherwise I am a bit lost.

Meanwhile, I am eagerly awaiting the start of Michaelmas term.
Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Post by Delphi »

Explosive Newt wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:36 am That's not just a USA thing, is it? People in the UK often tell me their kids are in year 9 or something. I vaguely understand when they say GCSE or A-levels but otherwise I am a bit lost.

Yeah, I don't get this Year 9/10 bollocks either. In my day you were n-year juniors, then 1st year senior school up to 5th Year then 6th Form. With the way it is they have Year 10 (or whatever it is) then 6th Form - it's stupid. Yes, I know I'm old but the new way is stupid.
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Delphi wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:19 am
Explosive Newt wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:36 am That's not just a USA thing, is it? People in the UK often tell me their kids are in year 9 or something. I vaguely understand when they say GCSE or A-levels but otherwise I am a bit lost.

Yeah, I don't get this Year 9/10 bollocks either. In my day you were n-year juniors, then 1st year senior school up to 5th Year then 6th Form. With the way it is they have Year 10 (or whatever it is) then 6th Form - it's stupid. Yes, I know I'm old but the new way is stupid.
The old way is as dumb as the American system - as many boroughs have primary-middle-secondary schools, some have junior-senior, some have primary-secondary, etc..

The sensible way to do school age is whatever year of overall schooling you're in. However, Miks original point is - why not just refer to your children's ages with the number of years they've been alive - or "their age".
tim

Post by tim »

"He'll be 13 next birthday".

So 12 then. FFS.