Poorly built houses

speedingfine

Poorly built houses

Post by speedingfine »

Graaargh. Water has come through my kitchen ceiling three times in 12 months. Had to take another day off to get a plumber in today. Another fitting has gone, it was the bath inlet fittings last time, toilet water inlet problems previously, first on the en suite, then the other one went too :roll:

This one we had to cut a hole in the bedroom floor to get to it... But not before we'd taken the en suite apart to try and find it there first 😭

:cry:

House is 2001 vintage if anyone wants to know ;)
Last edited by speedingfine on Fri May 21, 2021 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carlos

Re: Poorly built houses

Post by Carlos »

I hate these modern plastic push fittings.

We've never had a water leak including the rentals until our extension was built a year or 2 ago. I insisted on previous works that everything to be done in copper but gave in this time as both builders said that's all they've used for years and don't get problems :roll:

Since then 2 in 2 years at different elbow joints like that.

This has reminded me that he needs to come back to patch the ceiling in the garage and repair skirting he's pulled off to get to them :lol:
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Carlos wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 1:07 pm I hate these modern plastic push fittings.

We've never had a water leak including the rentals until our extension was built a year or 2 ago. I insisted on previous works that everything to be done in copper but gave in this time as both builders said that's all they've used for years and don't get problems :roll:

Since then 2 in 2 years at different elbow joints like that.

This has reminded me that he needs to come back to patch the ceiling in the garage and repair skirting he's pulled off to get to them :lol:
Copper ftw fo' sho'... Stick to your guns next time :mrgreen:
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Mini rant......

It’s not the fittings, it’s the fact the bastards either don’t use the proper pipe cutter so the burr on the pipe damages the seal. Or they are too fucking lazy to make sure the joints aren’t under tension or twisted as they just fucking bend or yank them wherever is easiest. Then to add insult to injury all of the ones I’ve seen are just laid on joists, on plasterboard etc as you generally don’t get knocking with them when water passes through them or they heat up. It’s pure bad workmanship in I bet 99% of cases.

At least copper warrants proper clamps or support, bad joints are unlikely due to the flux making the solder flow where it needs to go and also they shouldn’t be under tension or twisted as they don’t tolerate it at all.

I do though hate it when some plumbers clearly don’t have a pipe bender and just throw joints at any kind of angle.

Dave!
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

V8Granite wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 1:51 pm Mini rant......

It’s not the fittings, it’s the fact the bastards either don’t use the proper pipe cutter so the burr on the pipe damages the seal. Or they are too fucking lazy to make sure the joints aren’t under tension or twisted as they just fucking bend or yank them wherever is easiest. Then to add insult to injury all of the ones I’ve seen are just laid on joists, on plasterboard etc as you generally don’t get knocking with them when water passes through them or they heat up. It’s pure bad workmanship in I bet 99% of cases.

At least copper warrants proper clamps or support, bad joints are unlikely due to the flux making the solder flow where it needs to go and also they shouldn’t be under tension or twisted as they don’t tolerate it at all.

I do though hate it when some plumbers clearly don’t have a pipe bender and just throw joints at any kind of angle.

Dave!
Correct. When fitted correctly and decent brand used they're great. Be interesting to see if they have pipe inserts in.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

As a counterpoint, we went on holiday a few years ago leaving my stepson and stepdaughter at home. While we were away they noticed a water mark on the hall ceiling - no bathroom above it, just the smallest bedroom. They sent daily pictures and I didn't get too worried because it grew but only a bit.

Turned out to be a pinhole in a copper pipe which was pissing out water. The ceiling below was sufficiently water-tight that there was quite a bit to be bailed out before it could be fixed. Lots of floorboards up; though the only repair necessary to the ceiling was some stain blocker after it had dried a quick coat of white emulsion. No idea what was used in the early 1960s for ceilings but it was a bit stronger than usual plasterboard :lol:

Anyway, I am now paranoid about pinholes forming in other copper pipes. Apparently it's more common in newer copper because that has thinner walls. I'm still planning to spec copper when we have our kitchen and bathrooms done soon, though I have been contemplating re-doing the heating pipes in plastic because when the boiler's running the copper ones expand and contract noisily which is somewhat irritating.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

@speedingfine I don’t even recognise those fittings.

I use plastic quite a lot, but won’t use anything other than John Guest Speedfit

@Jobbo pinholes can be caused by flux, so many plumbers don’t clean off and it causes issues. As for the clicking, plastic will be even worse as it has a much higher linear expansion when it heats up. What you need to do is lift the floorboards, check they aren’t rubbing on the underside of the floorboards and then line the joists with dpc to let the pipes move. What you hear is the pipes rubbing on the joists so you need something to allow the moving
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

I found the stop cock in my house leaking the day before I moved out. Totally fleeced by an emergency plumber who told me it was a non standard size of pipe…
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

jamcg wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 5:47 pm @speedingfine I don’t even recognise those fittings.
Oh dear. I should probably ask him to replace the other one then... After he's finished taking my kitchen apart and been to Screwfix etc...
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

jamcg wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 5:47 pm @Jobbo pinholes can be caused by flux, so many plumbers don’t clean off and it causes issues.
Interesting - the pipe which got a pinhole had been in situ for about 55 years at that point so I suspect it was some sort of corrosion from the inside.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Jobbo wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 6:10 pm
jamcg wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 5:47 pm @Jobbo pinholes can be caused by flux, so many plumbers don’t clean off and it causes issues.
Interesting - the pipe which got a pinhole had been in situ for about 55 years at that point so I suspect it was some sort of corrosion from the inside.
After 55 years it’s probably rubbed against something, 55 years worth of expansion and contraction whilst in contact with anything will have that effect
mik

Post by mik »

jamcg wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 6:16 pm
After 55 years it’s probably rubbed against something, 55 years worth of expansion and contraction whilst in contact with anything will have that effect
Maybe you jabbed it with a pin and then forgot? It happens.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Copper pipes don’t leak. All the fittings do though :lol:
This made quite the mess when the pump let go, needed new flooring in the hallway. I woke up at 4am and could hear heavy rain. Sadly it wasn’t heavy rain.

My apartment has form for it. One day I could hear water rushing through my wall, turns out the main pipe which carries clean water to the water tank on the roof runs through my bedroom wall. The next day I noticed that they had shut all the offices on the first floor and they needed 2 weeks to fix it all the flood damage. They had to send a chap on a cherry picker to break through the brick wall, and repair the pipe - I was lucky they repaired it from the outside.

Then last year there was a letter asking everyone to check for water leaks as a few apartments are getting water damage. This went on for weeks. Eventually they sent a chap with a camera to my flat. Turns out the leak was from my place but it was in the stud wall just blow floor level so fortunately it was only damaged the flats below. They had the pull the fridge forward and did a small hole in the wall to repair it.

The leaking problem extends to the car park. They never fitted the damp proof membrane properly so whenever it rains it basically goes straight through the concrete flooring and leeches into the car park - with this it carriers the minerals from the concrete. There’s many priceless cars in the car park so as you can imagine the management have had to fork out a rather large amount for detailers to come and polish the cars...

Finally apparently the cladding on these buildings is flammable. It’s the same as the one opposite - brick/concrete /glass but it’s all going to be changed soon :?

Berkeley homes - shit but the trade love them as they’re so shit that they’ve got work for years :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

jamcg wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 5:47 pm @speedingfine I don’t even recognise those fittings.

I use plastic quite a lot, but won’t use anything other than John Guest Speedfit

I used John guest speedfit stuff the other weekend when I ripped out the downstairs loo. Really nice stuff. My only previous experience has always been with Hep20 which is/was always good stuff.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Ive done several bathrooms and kitchens in pushfit, I've found the decent JG ones are fine, the cheaper ones are a total waste of time.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

McSwede wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 8:04 pm

I used John guest speedfit stuff the other weekend when I ripped out the downstairs loo. Really nice stuff. My only previous experience has always been with Hep20 which is/was always good stuff.
Hep2o make the only fittings I’ve ever had blow off. They also made a pipe that didn’t have a barrier, so when used to pipe up a heating system (as many many house builders did in the early 2000’s) the lack of barrier allowed air to be absorbed into the water, caused a wierd hard oxide layer on the inside of the pipe, which then breaks up and has a tendency to block pipe work and the only way to clear it is to replace the pipe. So be very wary when buying a house with hep2o central heating pipes
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Pleased to say all is fixed and the plumber used John Guest speedfit :lol:
GG.

Post by GG. »

Mito Man wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 7:14 pm Berkeley homes - shit but the trade love them as they’re so shit that they’ve got work for years :lol:
Naming one of the buildings 'fountain house' was clearly not accidental :lol:
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

GG. wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 9:02 pm
Mito Man wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 7:14 pm Berkeley homes - shit but the trade love them as they’re so shit that they’ve got work for years :lol:
Naming one of the buildings 'fountain house' was clearly not accidental :lol:
Don't get me started on the actual fountain, that was another disaster which they never got working properly. These flats are apparently built very well vs the ones across the road (Chelsea Creek). The Chelsea Creek ones also have a permanent rat infestation according to the builders. The new ones at Chelsea Waterfront look nice but they're drug dealer money.
How about not having a sig at all?
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

jamcg wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 6:16 pm
The pinhole was in free space halfway between two joists. No possible rubbing in that location.