Modern housing estates

duncs500

Re: Modern housing estates

Post by duncs500 »

In our situation Rich is dead on, in our last place we knew a handful of neighbours to nod to, but didn't particularly like any of them. When we lived there we thought it would be nice to have people we knew and could maybe go for a drink with once in a while.

In the new place, a year and a half in everyone is still getting on great. We know every single person on the estate to chat to, and have been drinking in the pub with 80% of them one way or another. We've had street parties, lockdown zoom quizzes, and various other things. It's not expected, and some people participate more than others depending on how sociable they are, but the option is there for all if they want it. We're somewhere in the middle and pick and choose a bit what we join in with, but we usually enjoy it when we do. It's a split in ages too, the only group really missing is 40s-50s with older kids for some reason.
Beany

Post by Beany »

GG. wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 3:56 pm

That said, if I ever go for a viewing at a house with a stupid oversized clock and something banal written in the kitchen like that one ("dance like noone is watching") I would feel compelled to burn it down on the way out. :lol:
And, preferably, the current owners. Just to be sure.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Beany wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 6:54 pm

That said, if I ever go for a viewing at a house with a stupid oversized clock and something banal written in the kitchen like that one ("dance like noone is watching") I would feel compelled to burn it down on the way out. :lol:
Live laugh love xx
Beany

Post by Beany »

jamcg wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 9:40 pm
Beany wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 6:54 pm

Live laugh love xx
*grabs jerrycan, Swan Vestas*
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Rich B wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 4:08 pm I grew up on what was then a nearly new estate. One aspect that was great was everyone buying those new houses was at a similar point in life (rather than old people who'd lived in the houses for 60 years), so most had kids the same age, etc... There was local parks to walk to and play in, local school, shops, etc... we knew everyone.
Very true Rich - I grew up on a similar estate and the kids that me and my brothers and sisters played with on the green are all still very close friends, were Best Men, Groomsmen Maids of Honour at the weddings. Friends for life.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Just have to watch you don't get propositioned by the local swingers :lol:

Or find out where they are if that's what you're into, I'm not judging.
An absolute unit
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

jamcg wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 9:40 pm Live laugh love xx
To my shame I dated a girl for a short while who had that kind of ‘ornament’ on the side in her kitchen. I clocked it straight away as a bad sign but managed to get past it as she had other advantages. It didn’t last.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

A sprinkle of love, a dash of compassion and a big dose of cuddles are served in this kitchen.

Dave!
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

When house hunting a couple of years ago it was incredible how many places had this bloody nonsense written on the wall. It's not something I'd really come across before, and I don't know where the trend came from, but what's wrong with people?*

* - No offence if someone on here has it. ;)
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

It's "U ok hun?" facebook patter.
An absolute unit
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

duncs500 wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 6:38 pm In our situation Rich is dead on, in our last place we knew a handful of neighbours to nod to, but didn't particularly like any of them. When we lived there we thought it would be nice to have people we knew and could maybe go for a drink with once in a while.

In the new place, a year and a half in everyone is still getting on great. We know every single person on the estate to chat to, and have been drinking in the pub with 80% of them one way or another. We've had street parties, lockdown zoom quizzes, and various other things. It's not expected, and some people participate more than others depending on how sociable they are, but the option is there for all if they want it. We're somewhere in the middle and pick and choose a bit what we join in with, but we usually enjoy it when we do. It's a split in ages too, the only group really missing is 40s-50s with older kids for some reason.
On the new estate we previously lived on, no one spoke to each other. We got on well with 1 neighbour but she was much older than us - about 60 I'd say. The other was a cvnt and we had a few stand offs.

This place seems much more friendly and people are happy to chat and say hello. But there still isn't that much going on in terms of neighbour relations.

It probably doesn't help that the wife is incredibly unsociable for some reason when it comes to neighbours :lol:
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

A few years back, I used the phrase "Banal Vapid Platitudes" taking the piss out of "Live Laugh Love". Ex liked it so much that she ordered some stickers and put them on the wall in the kitchen.

Of course, this would have been much better if she hadn't ordered "Banal Vapid Platititudes". In hindsight, not being able to tell her that it was wrong and instead leaving it to @Delphi and Rev to comment on her FB post. Should have been a bit of a red flag, I suppose but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

When I redo my kitchen, I'm getting one, spelling it right and putting it on my wall.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 12:10 pm
duncs500 wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 6:38 pm In our situation Rich is dead on, in our last place we knew a handful of neighbours to nod to, but didn't particularly like any of them. When we lived there we thought it would be nice to have people we knew and could maybe go for a drink with once in a while.

On the new estate we previously lived on, no one spoke to each other. We got on well with 1 neighbour but she was much older than us - about 60 I'd say. The other was a cvnt and we had a few stand offs.

This place seems much more friendly and people are happy to chat and say hello. But there still isn't that much going on in terms of neighbour relations.

It probably doesn't help that the wife is incredibly unsociable for some reason when it comes to neighbours :lol:
I grew up in a new build estate and loved it because of the reasons Rich mentioned. A few other houses had kids the same age as me, there were 2 playgrounds built and a large field which was used as a cricket ground and football pitch with a basketball court off to the side.
I remember the adult neighbours all getting on well, there was a monthly thing where one person would invite everyone else round for snacks and a drink.
It all went south after about 6 years when many of the original lot started moving out or renting their homes. Just ended up with an estate full of cunts at that point :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
GG.

Post by GG. »

Jimmy Choo wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 1:03 pm
A few years back, I used the phrase "Banal Vapid Platitudes" taking the piss out of "Live Laugh Love". Ex liked it so much that she ordered some stickers and put them on the wall in the kitchen.

Of course, this would have been much better if she hadn't ordered "Banal Vapid Platititudes". In hindsight, not being able to tell her that it was wrong and instead leaving it to @Delphi and Rev to comment on her FB post. Should have been a bit of a red flag, I suppose but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

When I redo my kitchen, I'm getting one, spelling it right and putting it on my wall.
Very good :lol:
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Jimmy Choo wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 1:03 pm

You need to get an Aston and reprogram it too.
GG.

Post by GG. »

I'm sure given time those screens will break anyway :lol:
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Jobbo wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 3:58 pm
You need to get an Aston and reprogram it too.
What should I put in that display, though?

Guess What's Broken
Big Hairy Balls
Some Marketing Bollocks
Not James Bond
Banal Vapid Platitudes
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Connect to What Three Words or InspiroBot for randomness, or if it's not yours a James Brown sound generator to sound when soul displays.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

That’s got me wondering- There’s no power.beauty.soul in what 3 words but there’s a power.beauty.slug in Cumbria

https://w3w.co/power.beauty.slug

There is a live.laugh.love in Norway

https://w3w.co/live.laugh.love

And sorry @Jimmy Choo theres no banal.vapid.platitudes 😂
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

jamcg wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 5:40 pm
And sorry @Jimmy Choo theres no banal.vapid.platitudes 😂
What about banal.vapid.platititudes?
Banal Vapid Platitudes