Dogecoin etc

Beany

Re: Dogecoin etc

Post by Beany »

Broccers wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:03 am
Beany wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:11 am
V8Granite wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 9:19 pm Currently $26,000 up but am in it for the long game, the only way to do this is to write the money off straight away. I have been convinced to take my full stake out though which I’ll do when I decide what number to do it at.

Whatever happens, it’s quite good fun.

Dave!
Might I suggest your next investment is in a tony banks exhaust for an E46 330ci?

I know you don't have one, so I'll look after it till it matures 8-)
Cant be more than 200 quid?
Cat back, two pipes the length of the car, closer to £600 from what I recall.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Then tomorrow it's £1200.

A week next Thursday it'll be £57.

etc.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Sundayjumper wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:45 am Then tomorrow it's £1200.

A week next Thursday it'll be £57.

etc.
No, a Tony Banks exhaust actually has some intrinsic value to it, unlike cryptocurrency.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Just buy £50 of crypto and sell it when it’s worth enough to buy an exhaust. Simple.
How about not having a sig at all?
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Doge just dipped big time. Elon is on Saturday night live so it'll fly or drop. Hopefully all the kids don't lose their pocket money.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Broccers wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 5:12 pm Doge just dipped big time. Elon is on Saturday night live so it'll fly or drop. Hopefully all the kids don't lose their pocket money.
I’ve watched a few of his older interviews and find him incredibly interesting to watch. He is like an entirely different level of human and merely plays with us luddites 😂

Dave!
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

V8Granite wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 8:42 pm
Broccers wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 5:12 pm Doge just dipped big time. Elon is on Saturday night live so it'll fly or drop. Hopefully all the kids don't lose their pocket money.
I’ve watched a few of his older interviews and find him incredibly interesting to watch. He is like an entirely different level of human and merely plays with us luddites 😂

Dave!
I watched Twitter when he mentioned doge it went from 4c to 7c in 30 mins then down to about 5 which is when I tried to buy some but gave up as not all platforms allowed you to buy them.

Certainly an interesting guy.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Dropped 25 percent ouch
tim

Post by tim »

What platforms are folks using to trade crypto? I might buy a tenners worth lol
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

tim wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:01 am What platforms are folks using to trade crypto? I might buy a tenners worth lol
I did mine on Trustwallet.

I had to buy on one though, then trade with another, then use Pancake Swap, then buy what I wanted.

I then can get money out by using Binance.

It’s an absolute pain in the arse.

Dave!
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

V8Granite wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:07 am
tim wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:01 am What platforms are folks using to trade crypto? I might buy a tenners worth lol
I did mine on Trustwallet.

I had to buy on one though, then trade with another, then use Pancake Swap, then buy what I wanted.

I then can get money out by using Binance.

It’s an absolute pain in the arse.

Dave!
That's exactly what I found. The charges are huge too unless you're buying large amounts on Coinbase.

Gemini wouldn't authenticate when they were offering free fees on doge. A blessing for many!

Then you've the capital gains bill to follow if you do make a killing.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

I think my first trade turned $1000 dollars into $880 just by buying the coin.

Dave!
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Down 35 now
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

So, just to further point out the pointlessness of crypto currencies. A PE has restarted a fossil fuel based power station to mine bitcoin.

Currently targeting 85MW of power for mining capacity, and looking to expand to 500MW by 2025.

While the bubble lasts it is fantastically profitable for them in economic terms, but at huge cost to the environment. Literally burning resources for nothing of intrinsic value, and IMO morally and ethically bankrupt.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/202 ... e-bitcoin/
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Utter madness. All so some already rich people can get a little richer.
An absolute unit
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

DeskJockey wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:26 am So, just to further point out the pointlessness of crypto currencies. A PE has restarted a fossil fuel based power station to mine bitcoin.

Currently targeting 85MW of power for mining capacity, and looking to expand to 500MW by 2025.

While the bubble lasts it is fantastically profitable for them in economic terms, but at huge cost to the environment. Literally burning resources for nothing of intrinsic value, and IMO morally and ethically bankrupt.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/202 ... e-bitcoin/
disgusting isn't it.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Utterly.
---
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

I’ve built gas and heavy fuel power stations so we can buy cheap crap from all over the world so I don’t think I’ve much of a moral standing on this :oops:

(Edit)

I’m curious about the power station though, it’s a large scale gas set-up so will be around 50% efficient but to produce 85MW of power it will have to remove about 85MW of heat. Now 85MW of load is huge so it would be strange to have it running for producing just power for the “mining” it does. I don’t have a clue about rules in America though. Maybe they connect to the grid at high load times or maybe the Mine can run at 85MW all the time. If so that’s an enormous amount of electrical and water cooling.

Dave!
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

V8Granite wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:50 am I’ve built gas and heavy fuel power stations so we can buy cheap crap from all over the world so I don’t think I’ve much of a moral standing on this :oops:

(Edit)

I’m curious about the power station though, it’s a large scale gas set-up so will be around 50% efficient but to produce 85MW of power it will have to remove about 85MW of heat. Now 85MW of load is huge so it would be strange to have it running for producing just power for the “mining” it does. I don’t have a clue about rules in America though. Maybe they connect to the grid at high load times or maybe the Mine can run at 85MW all the time. If so that’s an enormous amount of electrical and water cooling.

Dave!
Article states that they're consuming/planning to consume 79% of output for mining. Drawing from behind the meter, so at their cost. Assume rest is pumped into the grid.
---
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

That’s a hell of a lot of heat going up in the air!!!

The emissions will be very low, unless gas over there is terrible, but it would be a shame to not use the heat for something.

Dave!